“Pleasant Surprise!”
Review of Cabinas Monte Sol

Cabinas Monte Sol
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I spent three nights at Cabinias Monte Sol when booking.com [subsidiary of kayak.com] overbooked a hotel for me and found this little place tucked off the main road. Peter and Iris are wonderful owners and go beyond the norm for ensuring a safe and comfortable stay. The rooms are beautiful replete with a hammock on the porch. The rates were reasonable and if you happen to get sick or suffer an injury, they go beyond the the expected to help. No air conditioning, but the fan made nights comfortable. Lots of hot water if you need it! I highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 March 2013

This was a nice place and the cheapest place on our trip for a private room and bath! It was $33 US/night for 2 people. It's located 5 min. from the beach (walking) and restaurant area, which is nice b/c it's quiet. There are 2 hammocks on the patio which 2 rooms share. There is a fan in the room, but ours didn't rotate (Peter- please fix). It was sufficient and A/C is not needed here. There is a nice shelf in the room to put your stuff. Some hooks in the bathroom would be a nice addition.

Peter is the owner and he's great. Very helpful, friendly, and accommodating. He helped us get organized to go to Bocas del Toro, Panama next, by using a service. We used Jireh for $22 each and it was very easy for us. It's worth that fee to have everything done for you (bus to border, help across, bus to water, water taxi to island).

The only downfall is that we were ready to check in, and they told us they were already cleaning the room. I realize we're on tropical time here, but the lady cleaning the room received some visitors and was sitting with them at the table talking instead of cleaning our room. I would have liked a little more prompt service. But, everything else Peter did during our stay made up for that.

If I return to PV, I will definitely stay here again as my first choice. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I spent of of the best days of life in Puerto Viejo, and Montesol was my home during those days.
The place is beautiful and Peter the owner and his family are just the best hosts.
Pasé los mejores días de mi vida en puerto viejo, y durante estos Montesol fué mi hogar, el lugar y los dueños del lugar son anfitriones perfectos!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Danielcleme
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We drove in to puerto viejo late on a Friday night and found this place. Very nice, hot water and friendly staff. We stayed for three nights and would recommend it to anyone in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I'll do this one short - great location, friendly staff, good coffee, reasonable pricing, relaxing atmosphere, clean rooms, hot water as advertised - all in all very recommendable, in relation to what I hear about other places around here.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Monolov
Reviewed 25 December 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at this lovely place for two nights in November 2010 while travelling through Central America. We found it last minute and were very happy with the room: it was clean, close to the centre and we had access to a nice veranda with couches to chill out. The whole surrounding is very lush and green and the only noises you can hear come from the dogs or other animals. Also the price we paid was very reasonable: $25 for a private room (shared bathroom but it really didn’t bother us since we hardly saw someone else using it and it was always clean).
Unfortunately we never saw the owner of the place and the only person we dealt with at the reception until the last day was their little daughter which was both a bit weird and a shame since we heard many nice things about the owner. All in all we definitely recommend this place if you’re looking for something simple yet nice to a good price.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2010

Stayed at this place for 4 days/3 Nights. It's in a great location since it's not quite in town but less than a 5 min walk. Great price. Located by one of the best comida creole places in town, Restaurant Elena Brown (Get the pork chops).

What really stood out in my mind was the owner is great. He speaks English/German/Spanish. He'll help you with every aspect of your stay in Puerto Viejo. I had forgot something valuable in my room, and he went all the way to San Jose to send it back to me in the States. You could tell that he wasn't just doing it since work required him. It was because he was genuinely a great guy, and he truly wanted to help. That's what made my stay in Puerto Viejo so great.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple