“Lizard King is the perfect location! In town & walk to beach”

Lizard King Hotel & Suites
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Had never been to Puerto Viejo & just booked this hotel randomly. I would say this property is a moderately priced hotel. It is not fancy, therefore if you are looking for luxury then keep looking. It was myself (woman 56) with two medical students (my daughter & her best friend). I did not know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised with the location, price and a daily breakfast included. We rented a car from San Jose & drove through rain in the dark and got terribly lost for many, many hours. We called the owners repeatedly and they were very patient & kind & waited until we arrived near midnight before they went to bed. The entire staff was personable and kind. Our particular room was not air conditioned but they had ample fans in the rooms. You can request an air conditioned room upon making your reservation. Their pool is clean and clear & their breakfast is perfect, I am still missing the coffee! The restaurant across the street is incredible!!! Don't miss eating there.

Room Tip: Some rooms do not have a/c. So ask when you make your reservation if an a/c is important to you. Ke...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Lizard K, Owner at Lizard King Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Lori, Thank you so much for your review. We loved having you and the ladies stay with us and I am glad you had a great trip. You were the sunshine in Lilian's day. I am sorry we did not meet and invite you back Lizard King to enjoy our improvements such as orthopedic mattresses, extended spacious rooms and kitchenette. Pura Vida -Bethany Hope

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I liked the Lizard King Resort hotel and the Puerto Viejo so much that I stayed 10 nights! 5 star customer service in a 3 star hotel. I would stay here again, in fact I was sad to leave. It is a family run hotel and they go out of their way to make sure they leave a good impression. (Thank you for the warm loaf of bread you sent me off with. 5 hours into my travels I was even more appreciative!) When I walked in to inquire about prices they had a special going on, the most basic room for $50 a night. This was perfect. I noticed the rooms are outfitted differently some have air condition, kitchens, refrigerators and flat screen tvs. The rooms were very basic wood furniture and the fan was enough for my needs. They have a pool and it’s a block or two from the main part of town. Breakfast is included as is WIFI. If you stay here there’s a good deck upstairs it is great to sit and watch the people as they come and go from town. For Costa Rican standards and prices it doesn’t get much better than the Lizard King Resort.

For a full Costa Rica trip report from May - April 2014 please see

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

We booked the queen bed room in the lizard queen resort. The room was very clean, it had AC, cable TV, free WiFi, and a fridge.
Also the free breakfast was good and quick.
The staff was very friendly and always helpful with anything we needed.
We liked it so much that we stayed for an additional two nights.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lotan B
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This is very clean and elite place. I used their service and they are very professional. Stuff's nice behave satisfied me a lot, I will use this Hotel Resort again at future if I visit again Costa Rica.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LipiBagum
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We read the reviews and we're expecting friendly staff and great breakfasts. We were disappointed on both fronts. Although the breakfast was included in our room charge we chose not to eat there after the first mediocre day at breakfast. The pancakes were ordinary, nothing like the reviews and the Gallo Pinto was flavorless.

The rooms were clean. When we walked by the front desk we were never acknowledged by the front desk person. We were disappointed in the service overall, and cannot recommend the lizard king.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Bethany, Luis, his mother and the other guests at the hotel made our stay there very pleasant -- or as pleasant as it could be given the incessant daytime noise of construction. This will be quite a gem when it is all finished. Another reason for the 2 star rating for us was Puerto Viejo itself (because Lizard King is right in the thick of things). It is a town full of surfer dudes who have no qualms about littering the beaches and streets. Until the garbage was picked up, we could hardly walk to town. Walking in the other direction toward Panama we found the Chocolate Experience, the best beach, lots of road side 'sodas' (cafes), etc. that made our stay more pleasant. Our room was not renovated and consisted of 2 double beds, no closet, a small fridge, flat screen TV, 2 small tables and one small shelf unit. The bathroom was tiny and not very clean (although I didn't see any bugs). There is a small bamboo forest next door where sloths live and visit for a while. Until the hotel is fixed up, it is not for the faint of heart.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

The resort was nice and i loved how close it was to the beach but what made the stay for me was how wonderful the lady at reception was.

Jen was very accommodating with all of our requests and gave us all the information we needed to have a wonderful stay in Puerto Viejo.

Thank you Jen for making our stay a great experience!!

• Stayed: February 2014