“Very personable staff, a great place to stay”

Cabinas El Icaco Tortuguero
Ranked #5 of 10 Tortuguero B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My family and I had a great experience here at El Icaco. The staff and the location were fabulous. It was a fantastic bargain.

5 stars for the staff - extremely helpful! Calixto (spelling?) and Mabe the owners greeted us warmly and answered all our questions. Their children are adorable! Adolfo met us at La Pavona and helped us board the boat to Tortuguero. Brandon and Roberto met us at the Tortuguero dock and Brandon took our bags to the hotel for us by bicycle. The kitchen staff was also great, making us coffee in the afternoon and introducing us to new fruits when we asked about our meals. The breakfasts were large and very satisfying!

Adolfo led us on two tours, the Turtle laying tour (in which we saw three turtles close up, and several in the distance) and the tour of the canals by canoe (both of which I definitely recommend!). He was extremely knowledgeable about the animals and plants! He was able to spot various animals at quite a distance. On our canal tour we saw lizards, different birds, a cayman, and spider and howler monkeys! Adolfo can do a great howler monkey impression. By the time we left he felt like family.

Be sure to take a siesta in the hammocks out front (within sight of the beach). They are heavenly! Guaranteed to release your stress!

Room Tip: See if there is a room available on the first floor, as the second floor might be slightly warmer.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Enjoyed our stay overall. Rooms basic, warm with just a fan but no bugs so that was great! Location to town, beach, and hiking trails is good. Calipso the owner is helpful and friendly. He helped me organize our tours and onward travel to Limon by boat. He actually got his brother to pick us up in Moine who drove us to Puerto Viejo! Expected bugs in the room but we just had mosquitos so used our own net. Shared kitchen and storing food and drinks in fridge was not a problem (nothing was taken, people were respectful)...this is important as I have had my items taken in hostels before (in Australia) and that is frustrating. So cooking yourself is an option but did not do that as we ate out in the 2 nights we had there. Good breakfast is included (eggs, fruit, coffee, juice) ..coffee available all day. Friendly staff. Wifi (but power outage one morning so didnt get it which isnt a problem normally as this place is a great place to tune out the rest of the world butI was trying to book onward travel). Hammocks are communal and quiet place to hang out with a bit of a view of the beach. I would go back for sure.

Room Tip: Rooms have a private sitting area and I liked being on the ground level for this, shaded and nice fo...
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Stayed for 3 nights with my family of 4 in a room with 1 do unearned 2 singles
Room clean and shower too - had p,entry of hot water - there is only one tap as others have said but you just turn it on faster for a colder shower or slower for hotter it works abs fine
Breakfast good - fruit followed by pancakes and scrambled egg + coffee and juice
Free coffee all day too
Small kitchen - ok to cut up fruit etc and make some sandwiches for lunch but normal pots and pans or cutlery
Impressed that room was cleaned everyday and we had clean towels everyday and sheets changed once in3 days
We organised all tours for here and they were good too
Short walk into the village for food (supermarket ) and evening meals
Right on the beach and near national park trail

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Quite simply a wonderful hotel. Calixto and his family were warm, welcoming and very generous. The room was spacious and cleaned daily. Breakfast was decent and much appreciated after the early morning canoe boat tour.

We were met at the dock by Adolfo, a tour guide who works with the hotel. Through him we sorted all our tours (which were excellent) and our onwards transport to Cahuita (which was as good as any of the tours). So we could spend the rest of our time there relaxing, when not exploring the jungle.

We had a wonderful stay and will look forward to going back at some point in the future. Thanks Calixto!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mrs_Grotbag
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I honestly don't get what all the super positive reviews are all about...
It's not a bad place by any means...hammocks are cool, proximity to the beach is nice (even though you can't swim in it)...I just had to knock my rating down to poor because it is NOT a good value for the dollar...we paid $82 a night (with taxes and all through hotel.com) for a triple room...the room is basically a budget hostel room, barely enough space for the 3 of us to move around and a shower with water that is not cold (not even close to warm)...I get that Tortuguero is remote so I did not expect the Ritz Carlton, but I feel about half of what we paid would be a fair price for this place...
as for the "friendly" owner Calixto...when we checked in he says "everything is taken care of" (referring to my PRE-paid hotel.com reservation...then all of a sudden, the night before checking out, he tells me I have not paid for the room..."100%, you did not"...not sure how friendly he was to other people but that was pretty much my only interaction with him...pretty far from bend-over-backward friendly as everyone else put...
I do have to give props to Leonardo, one of the guides affiliated with the hotel, he knows his stuff, and I loved kayaking in the canals with him...
Bottom line, there are better places...or at least better value places in town...pretty much any place other than the Icaco will be a better value...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
elicaco1, Propietario at Cabinas El Icaco Tortuguero, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Mr.Jeong Jas Thank you for your comment but with all the respect Me and my staff are not agree with you. For a triple room now high season $57.5 a night and low season is $50.00 a night include breakfast in both cases you and any one can check this any where . During several years more than 100 people said that we provide good service to our customers and our Certificate of Excellence 2013 gave by tripadvisor and to be the best hostel 2011 and 2012 by hostelworld.com also confirm this. Regarding my "friendly" attention to customer let me tell you that is hard to be friendly with people who do not answer the good morning and less deign to say thank you when they are served a complimentary , your only communication with me was a day before leaving the hotel when you gave me a wrong information of the company that you realize your reservation and confused me obviously rason why I fell in error that we checked and fixed later pity that you do not wrote this also ,regarding room size your room was number 11 , 5x6 mtrs good size for a family and enough for three people , finally as everyone says we are a place with an appropriate value and service to our facilities as are most of the establishments in Tortuguero

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Good value - a step up from a back packers hostel but not an expensive out of town lodge. Rooms are simple but clean. Breakfast good - pancakes by the sea. Staff very welcoming and helpful. Note that whilst a good budget option this was pretty basic accommodation - the bathroom was tiny (but clean) and the shower has no temperature valve, just on or off. We had tepid water during our stay which was about right given the tropical heat! No AC but a fan in the room makes for a sweaty nights sleep, but again we knew in advance that there was no AC and didn't expect it for the price.
The staff and beach side location make this place - an easy walk round the rest of Tortuguero. I'd recommend Miss Miriam 1 for filling carribean style food and the Budda Bar for sunset drinks. Best by a mile was Wild Ginger (head north out of town on the coastal path, we nearly turned back too soon and missed it) - great food with a contemporary twist on local dishes, run by a great couple who were keen to discuss the menu and Tortuguero life (sorry I'm hopeless with names).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

Beachfront, hammocks, gourmet breakfast and friendly, caring people. Calixto was fabulous. Even with our last minute reservation he had a guide waiting for us at la pavona. Roberto helped us to really know tortuguero. Loved the Caribbean decor and lifestyle at El Icaco. Muchas gracias!

• Stayed: June 2013