“A Real Adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa Grande

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tortuguero
Casa Grande
Oaxaca, Mexico
“A Real Adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

I traveled to the Pacuare Reserve by myself from my home in Mexico. I went as a volunteer. It felt like an adventure just getting there, but I simply followed the instructions that I received from the staff and I was met by taxi and boat without a hitch. It felt magical in the boat on the canal with all the birds and unfamiliar noises and sights and then we arrived, in that lovely spot where the ocean meets the rain forest, a civilized clearing in the jungle with comfortable rooms and an interesting people from all over the world. The fact that there is no electricity enhances the stay. At midnight that first night, as I waited to go out on the turtle patrol, I found myself surrounded by hundreds of toads enjoying the dark wet meadow. Three hours later I was on my stomach on the beach under the light of the moon, watching a green turtle lay 102 eggs. My guide was a young Spanish biologist who tagged the turtle and then relocated the nest to higher ground. Then we wiped away the tracks and headed home, wet, tired and extremely happy. I learned something new every day and saw things that delighted me: heron and kingfisher, a nesting nighthawk, monkey families, scary crocodiles, beautiful iguana. It made me laugh to see the gigantic relatives of my familiar houseplants and I was thrilled to see cacao pods growing on the trees. I spent a week there helping in different ways, I carved and painted a sign, cleaned gear for the biologists, helped out in a kids’ classroom and weeded a pasture. I met people, young and old, from Spain, England, Canada and the States. We communicated in both Spanish and English and I was fascinated to hear the differences in all our accents. Late at night when I close my eyes and think about my visit, I see the turtle, my turtle, swimming in the vast sea, traveling the world and in that way, I swim with her.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank FisherdelBosque

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

My husband and I recently visited Pacuare Reserve. We were the only guests as it was before the turtle season starts but were curious about the work of the organisation. We subsequently spent several weeks travelling around Costa Rica. Costa Rica is a beautiful country with an evident commitment to environmental tourism. Our stay at Pacuare though was definitely the highlight of our trip. We stayed at Casa Grande at the reserve for two nights. The accommodation is simple and very comfortable. There is no electricity which meant using candle light in the evenings without the usual interruption or noise from gadgets, phones etc. It was also lovely just to go to bed when it got dark to the sound of the ocean and wake up to natural light and sounds of the surrounding wildlife.The staff at Pacuare are very knowledgeable and friendly. We walked into the rainforest with a guide and were fortunate enough to witness sloth, capuchin and howler monkeys, bright red frogs etc. There was also the option of going out onto the river to spot more wildlife which was wonderful. Each meal was provided and was delicious!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

Pacuare's a great organisation working with nesting turtles on the Caribbean coast. Stayed at Casa Grande (the Big House) for two nights. Beautiful house, great view. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff. As a guest they offer a wide range of activities. You can rest in a hammock, but also participate in various turtle-related activities such as beach patrols at night and excavations of the nests. The reserve also has a trail where you can see a lot of wildlife including monkeys, frogs, birds etc. Great food. I booked through www.turtleprotection.org, directly via their administrative office in San Jose. Tip: bring mosquito repellent.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Cincinnati
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2009

I recently went to the private Pacuare Reserve, where my brother and I were the only guests. All the other folks were turtle researchers. As a result, rather than stand in a crowd at a respectful distance from a turtle, we were out on the beach 8 PM - 3 AM, helping to measure and tag leatherbacks, as well as relocate their nests to higher ground. It was an unforgettable experience.

If you want to participate, you need to book through Selva Bananito Lodge, another amazing place well worth visiting a bit farther south.

At Pacuare Reserve, (not the same as the Pacuare River Lodge), we had good food and nice accommodations, (if basic- no electricity and it is designed for research, not slothful tourists!), and the people were very good to us in terms of taking us for hikes, explaining their work, etc. Highly recommended for the adventurous, families with mid-teens and above.

4 Thank OverseasMama