Casa Grande Ecolodge
  • Beachfront
Hotel Suerre(Guapiles)
US$112
Very Good 4/5
Hotel El Bambu(Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui)
US$102
Great 4.5/5
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
Average 3/5
All reviewsthe reserveleatherback turtleremote placefirst floorpacuarevolunteerssolarclassroomorganisationnestingconservationmidnightnaturemonkeyscanaljungleboat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The Pacuare Nature Reserve is an unspoilt gem set between primary rain forest and the Caribbean Sea. The only way to reach it is by boat through the Tortuguero Canal where we saw fresh water turtles, caymen, kingfishers and many other birds whilst listening to the deafening cries of the howler monkeys. We stayed in the Casa Grande which has a lagoon on one side and the sea just 50 metres away. We probably saw a greater selection of birds sitting on the first floor verandah than anywhere else in Costa Rica. Casa Grande is simple but comfortable and it has no electricity. .We dined by candlelight on the verandah every evening listening to the night sounds coming from the nearby forests. We patrolled the beach one evening with the staff and volunteers looking for the turtles as they came in to lay their eggs. Sadly we didn’t see any but nonetheless it was an adventure. . Another night we went on a jungle walk to look at the nocturnal life which was very exciting.. There is plenty to do and see both day and night, there are bicycles available and boat trips round the lagoon and canal can be arranged. Thoroughly recommended for a holiday with a difference

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nosbig1
pacuarenaturereserve, Owner at Casa Grande Ecolodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for writing such a good description of what a stay in the Reserve can be. You need to come again to see a Leatherback nesting.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

The start of our visit to Pacuare was memorable as you climb into a flat bottomed boat along with supplies for the Reserve and set off through the lagoons, which are wide and still and seemingly endless. The tall trees come right to the edge of the water and wherever you look you see wonderful birdlife and the occasional splash as a Cayman enters the water on your approach. We stayed for 3 nights in the Casa Grande and it was perfect - no electricity but lots of lamps and comfortable and peaceful. There is an open shower with hot water heated by the sun which is very civilised and works very efficiently and a wc and basin next to our bedroom. We loved looking out from the house from the wide verandah to the sea in one direction and the lagoon in the other - from the comfort of the hammock you can watch the amazing birdlife. We did a bike ride along a path through the forest from the South Station to the North past sleeping iguanas and dancing butterflies - and then a boat ride back along the lagoons stopping at a small family run cafe beside the lagoon for a cold beer and - most memorable of all - night time patrols in the pitch dark along the beach to look for turtles. A Jaguar had been sighted when we were there although we didnt see it. The people were so friendly - we had lunch in the communal dining room and supper and breakfast in the house and the food was simple but good. We had a further 2 weeks in Costa Rica which we loved but it was only Pacuare that gave us a sense of a real adventure and a chance to learn much more about the wildlife of this wonderful country and in particular the endangered turtles. A memorable visit..

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank prue c

You almost saw it all...missed the jaguar which has been appearing more often now. Thank you for your review it will give our future visitors a good idea of what the Reserve is.

Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

I have been to Pacuare twice now, intending the first time to go only for a few weeks and staying as a volunteer for almost half a year! The staff are kind and dedicated, and the chance to stay in such peace so close to both the jungle (with its variety of birds, amphibians, and mammals, most of which are endangered species) and the beach is unmissable!

It's a place of extraordinary natural beauty and a wonderful respite from the touristy parts of Costa Rica. Definitely worth staying over a week to get a chance to really see both South and North stations, as well. Truly unforgettable.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My daughter and I ( aged 10) went to volunteer at the reserve in April during turtle season. This was my 4th turtle project and an unforgettable experience. The project is brilliantly run with a very dedicated team of researchers and coordinators who are passionate about protecting the turtles and the beautiful naure surrounding the beach. We were very priveledged to get really involved with lots of aspects of the work they do. Ella even spent a day with local costa Rican school childern who spent a day learning about turtle protection . She loved it! She also loved helping at night when the leatherback turtles came up to nest and even helped a little baby leatherback turtle make it back to the sea .
Pacuare reserve itself is a beautiful place and the acommodation and food though simple was all perfect and food delicious.
If you are keen to get involved in a well run project, keen to learn more about costa Rican wildlife, want to have a real adventure and visit a beautiful corner of the world with wildlife all around you then we would really recommend a visit!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I traveled to the Pacuare Reserve by myself from my home in Mexico. I went as a volunteer. It felt like an adventure just getting there, but I simply followed the instructions that I received from the staff and I was met by taxi and boat without a hitch. It felt magical in the boat on the canal with all the birds and unfamiliar noises and sights and then we arrived, in that lovely spot where the ocean meets the rain forest, a civilized clearing in the jungle with comfortable rooms and an interesting people from all over the world. The fact that there is no electricity enhances the stay. At midnight that first night, as I waited to go out on the turtle patrol, I found myself surrounded by hundreds of toads enjoying the dark wet meadow. Three hours later I was on my stomach on the beach under the light of the moon, watching a green turtle lay 102 eggs. My guide was a young Spanish biologist who tagged the turtle and then relocated the nest to higher ground. Then we wiped away the tracks and headed home, wet, tired and extremely happy. I learned something new every day and saw things that delighted me: heron and kingfisher, a nesting nighthawk, monkey families, scary crocodiles, beautiful iguana. It made me laugh to see the gigantic relatives of my familiar houseplants and I was thrilled to see cacao pods growing on the trees. I spent a week there helping in different ways, I carved and painted a sign, cleaned gear for the biologists, helped out in a kids’ classroom and weeded a pasture. I met people, young and old, from Spain, England, Canada and the States. We communicated in both Spanish and English and I was fascinated to hear the differences in all our accents. Late at night when I close my eyes and think about my visit, I see the turtle, my turtle, swimming in the vast sea, traveling the world and in that way, I swim with her.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo