“Want some history?”

Miss Junies
Ranked #8 of 17 Restaurants in Tortuguero
Cuisines: Caribbean, Costa Rican, South American
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
hants UK
“Want some history?”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This is a lovely place to stay. It is almost at one end of the main strip set in nice grounds with some waterfront. Rooms were characterful and comfortable. We ate in the restaurant one night and the service was friendly and the food was tasty. The historical aspect adds interest, go there yourself to find out!

3 Thank vicky42

New Jersey
“restaurant needed more staff”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

perhaps we were there on an off night, but the restaurant really needed more staffing. people waiting at the door to be seated eventually gave up and left. we wanted attention with our meals and just had to make do.

from food perspective, we were not impressed either. my meal, a seafood mix, was too salty and i wasn't able to finish eating it. my companions said that their meals were adequate but not special.

only one of the many tropical fruit juices listed on the menu was available that evening.

we were disappointed after the fine reviews that we read.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Pros and Cons”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The hotel itself was great -- fan, clean rooms, fresh air with big windows, hot water --all of the basics. It's currently run by Miss Junies' children and they were incredibly hospitable and sweet. Excellent tour guides as well! We took the turtle tour and it was incredibly informational and fun. Beautiful hotel grounds and I would definitely go back.

The only downfalls are that there is no front desk. This makes it hard to get ahold of people to help with reservations, paying for the room, etc. There are a few staff, and understandably they are busy, but it makes things a bit inconvenient.

Another reviewer also mentioned their disappointment with the dog they have, which can't walk on it's hind legs, so it pulls itself along with two front legs. I have to be honest, it made me quite upset to see as it rained and he had to drag himself to a shed, barely making it...

The restaurant is WAY TOO overpriced. It is not worth the cost, even though the food was very good.

Auckland, New Zealand
“Home-style food with class”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was my first time trying jerk chicken, and I'm happy to say that Miss Junie's now has me hooked for life. It was so delicious and served with lots of yummy vegetables. The menu offered a wide selection of dishes, plus there were enough beers and wines to choose from. The only downside was that there was no coffee on offer, plus only one dessert available.

1 Thank Susan H
“Great authentic Caribbean food!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Excellent food. I recommend the Jerk Chicken with coconut rice and beans! It's the best I have ever had. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it as I type this. The mackerel fish is also excellent. I've had the veggie meal too, also very good - comes with avocado, cheese, veggies, rice and beans.

• Visited July 2014