This hotel is owned by Costa Rica Expeditions. We stayed there because we booked our trip through CRE, a company which I would highly recommend if you are a first time visitor to Costa Rica. The hotel is directly across from the Tortuguero airstrip so it is very convenient to reach. On our arrival we were greeted by the entire staff and offered fruit juice cocktails which were very refreshing. The enthusiasm the staff showed on our arrival proved to be the leitmotif of our stay in this hotel throughout the two days we were there. I just can't say enough good things about the excellent staff of this hotel. The rooms are in two story bungalows with about 8 rooms per bungalow, 4 on the lower floor and 4 on the top floor. Be sure to specify a room on the top floor since there is a lack of privacy in the first floor rooms. Also the second floor rooms have higher ceilings and probably have better ventilation. Corner rooms are best for the same reason. The rooms are a bit dark and give the impression of being a bit small. There is a wide veranda around the second story and a hammock is available in front of your room. The bungalows have a nice view of the wide waterway flowing past the hotel. There is a nice swimming pool at the hotel and it is not used very much so be sure to bring your swim suit if you come. Although the grounds of the hotel are relatively free of mosquitoes the extensive walking trails behind the hotel are not so blessed. I started to do a walk on one of these trails but I was so aggressively attacked by bugs that I gave it up right away. To be fair to the trails, I had neglected to cover myself with DEET before my walk, so it might be possible to have taken one of these walks with proper attention to insect repellant. In any case, I was not tempted to return. The main thing to do here is to take boat rides through the swamp. We saw a great variety of wildlife on these boat rides and, so long as we were on the water, we were not bothered by mosquitoes. This hotel has good food but you eat whatever is on the menu for the day. On our first night we were treated to dinner beneath a pavilion set up at the confluence of the river in front of our hotel with a tributary running along the edge of the property. We had a beef tenderloin with a ginger-tamarind sauce. Dessert was a chocolate genoise with an orange-honey topping. Delicious. The second night we had sauteed fish filets and, for dessert, a slice of baked apple atop on thin slice of puff pastry and a scoop of ice cream. Yum-yum. In any case, I hope you get the idea that the food here is quite good. You won't go wrong staying here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 11 River View Downstairs Terrace Rooms. 12 Upstairs River View Balcony Rooms. (A little more expensive, but worth it. See what reviewers have said by clicking on "room tips") 2 River View Downstairs Junior Suites, with connecting door. 1 River View Upstairs Penthouse Suite with 2 baths. 1 of the Downstairs Rooms is Wheelchair Accessible with 2 baths • Beds: 4 Downstairs Rooms and 5 Upstairs Rooms have 1 King Bed. 6 Downstairs Rooms and 3 Upstairs Rooms have 2 Double Beds. 1 Downstairs Room and 2 Upstairs Rooms have 1 Queen and 1 Double Bed. 1 Downstairs Room has 1 King and 1Double Bed. 2 Upstairs Rooms have 1 Queen and 1 Double Bed. The 2 Junior suites have 1 King and 1 Double Bed • All rooms have: In-room safe, hot water, ceiling fans, reading lamps, hair dryer, free wireless internet and large screened windows so you experience the sounds of the rain forest. • All rooms don't have: TV, AC, or mini-bar. • Service Style: Personalized, informal, caring. • Restaurant: Cuisine: What a Costa Rican Grandmother would cook if she was also a creative and contemporary professional chef. Caribbean themed cocktails, and no we don't mean pina coladas, although we'll make you one of those too. •Atmosphere: Quiet, laid back and with an emphasis on the natural surroundings - most buildings are open air. • No background music. • Suggested activities at hotel: Palm and Orchid Gardens. Plan on 1 or 2 hours. Award winning Riverside Pool. Plan on at least 1 hour per morning or afternoon per day. Hammocks everywhere. Plan on losing track of time in one. 2 computers with internet for guest use at no charge. Spend as little time as possible. You're on vacation. • Tortuguero can only be accessed by boat or by domestic or charter plane. • Tortuga Lodge offers complete packages including round trip transportation, lodging, meals and excursions. • Suggested stay: 3-5 nights. • Owned and Operated by Costa Rica Expeditions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Tortuga Lodge & Gardens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tortuga Lodge And Gardens
- Tortuga Lodge & Gardens Hotel Tortuguero
- Tortuga Hotel Tortuguero
- Tortuga Hotel Gardens