“Tortuga Lodge pleasures”

Tortuga Lodge & Gardens
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Tortuguero
Reviewed 22 December 2012

It is difficult to exaggerate the quality of the service at this establishment --from hotel staff and from the guides who accompany guests on excursions--and just the sheer pleasure of staying here. The food is also excellent, made mainly from local produce. Admittedly it rains a lot, even during what is supposedly the dry season, but the rewards of seeing some of the huge variety of local wildlife and fauna greatly outweigh the discomforts.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PeterB48
hiketiludrop, Guest Relations Manager at Tortuga Lodge & Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2012

Dear Peter B48,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Tortuga Lodge & Gardens.

We are delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. You're right, we do have an extraordinary group of people working at the lodge, they thrive on delighting guests.

I'm glad to hear that you had great wildlife sightings, Tortuguero could well be the easiest place in Costa Rica to experience the biodiversity of Costa Rica.

If you are ever in Costa Rica again you may want to consider visiting our sister lodge, Monteverde Lodge & Gardens.

Felices Fiestas!

Natalie Ewing
Chief Marketing & Guest Satisfactions Officer

There are newer reviews for Tortuga Lodge & Gardens

Reviewed 10 December 2012

The Tortuga Lodge & Gardens is - hands down - the best hotel experience I've ever had. Upon arrival, my friends and I were greeted on the dock by 3-4 employees welcoming us with waves. That immediately endeared this lodge to us. The manager clearly explained to us weary travelers about the dinner times and other important details about the lodge and confirmed our itinerary while we gratefully drank delicious drinks. The fact that he encouraged feedback about the lodge only solidified my initial reaction to this place: amazing. The room I stayed in with two of my friends was perfect. We had three beds to ourselves (two twin beds and a full). Even with that layout, we had plenty of space to maneuver. The floor was a delight to walk on - smooth and clean. Our room overlooked the river. The grounds of the hotel are stunning. You are right on the water and the pool also faces the water. The gardens are nice but I HIGHLY recommend dousing yourself in bug repellant prior to any hike (I learned the hard way what happens when you don't). The food was spectacular. I was on vacation celebrating a friend's birthday. Unbeknownst to us, the chef baked a cake and the staff dimmed the lights and sang "Happy Birthday" to her. What's extra special about this is my friend is a vegetarian so the chef covertly checked with my other friend to see if it was okay to have eggs in the cake. The nature tour, led by Fernando, was fantastic. The lodge loaned us sun screen, a hat, and great binoculars for the tour (we were so ill prepared). Fernando is a wealth of knowledge about the area and was extremely nice and engaging. The rest of the staff was fantastic, as well! My friends and I participated also in spending an out with children in a local village who are learning English. It was a fantastic experience led by a fantastic teacher. I highly recommend participating in this activity. Overall, I WILL be back to this lodge on my next visit to Costa Rica and I recommend EVERYONE stay here!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Tortuguero Lodge could write the book on how to provide excellent customer service .... from the moment you are picked up until the time you leave you are treated like someone they care about. The boat drivers, tour guides, management, cooks, waiters, waitresses, gardeners and chamber maids all make sure that your trip is most enjoyable. It is the "extras" that they do at the Lodge that makes your stay a memorable one. Yes, they makes sure that you 'experience' the wildlife and yes, they make sure that the meals are excellent and beautifully presented and yes, they make sure that the rooms are clean and comfortable but it is the hot chocolate and warm towel waiting for you at the end of a cooler, wet, boat ride or the fresh iced passion fruit juice waiting for you at the the end of a sunny, hot, boat ride that makes this lodge just one step above others. We had a wonderful three days at Tortuguero Lodge and would not hesitate in the least to recommend it to others!

Room Tip: We were on the main floor and it was great!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2012

I am a single lady in her sixties, travelling alone. The staff at Tortuga Lodge could not have been more friendly and helpful. The accommodation and food were excellent. It rained all day the day I arrived, but it was nice just to chill out on my verandah without a guilty conscience! The next two days were sunny and the boat excursions were very successful - monkeys, sloths, caimen, river turtle, iguana, and numerous birds.

Seeing some of the large excursion boats (which were full) from other lodges, I was so glad I had booked Tortuga Lodge, which is smaller than most of the other lodges.

I live in the UK and had arranged this trip as a one-off (ie not as part of a Costa Rica Expeditions tour). All the arrangements were made by email and everything went smoothly (I paid online using a debit card). Having been to Tortugero before, I flew both ways, which gave me extra time at the Lodge - but the planes are very small (6-seaters including two pilot seats) so if you are not keen on flying, you could travel both ways by boat and vehicle. Having arrived from the UK the previous evening (10.00pm) I stayed at a hotel near the airport, from which I was picked up at 6.15am the following morning. Costa Rica Expeditions kept my large suitcase for me and, on my return, delivered both it and me to the Nature Air terminal at Pavas.

This was my 5th visit to Costa Rica and I am looking forward to the time when I can afford to return! I will definitely include Tortuga Lodge in my itinerary!

Room Tip: The higher rooms are meant to be better because of the breeze, but there were no problems with my gr...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Angie4
Reviewed 13 November 2012

We spend 4 days at the hotel, and it was simply one of the best stays in any place, anywhere. The service was friendly, the food was excellent. I will really recommend the place to anybody who needs to rest and have a great time.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Oaguilar
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We celebrated part of our honeymoon at Tortuga Lodge. From the start (the boat ride at Cano Blanco) to the last handshake from staff as we left and the hug from our wonderful guide, we couldn't recommend this resort more. The staff were extraordinarily attentive and appeared to really enjoy working there which makes a huge difference to us...it's nice to see smiles on people's faces and living examples of pura vida! Watching the giant sea turtles was an extraordinary once in a lifetime experience, but so was the boat tour around the sanctuary, hanging out in the pool overlooking the river in the afternoons, sitting al fresco for each meal that was wonderfully prepared, and resting in our gorgeous river view room (really recommend the river view). We still long for the beet gazpacho, citrus salad, and fresh breaded fish we had that first lunch.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank carol r
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We were there for two nights in August 2012--two adults who had never been to Costa Rica before. The hotel's canal tour with a well informed naturalist gave us the best photos of our entire trip, the night on the beach watching giant sea turtles lay their eggs was just magical, and everyone at the hotel seemed to be in a self-imposed contest to provide the most outstanding hospitality ever. Food was great. Service was personal and thoughtful. The room was lovely and comfortable. We visited three locations in Costa Rica and are eager to return to the country to see more, but Tortuga Lodge is the one hotel we will return to.

Room Tip: Rooms with windows facing north may pick up less nighttime music sound from the Village of Tortuguer...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple