“Truly Magical”
Review of Pachira Lodge

Pachira Lodge
“Truly Magical”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I've been lucky enough to visit Tortuguero several times but this was my first time in Pachira Lodge (January 2013) Like most of the lodges it's rustic, but clean and comfortable and benefits from a good sized swimming pool. There is a good choice of food and the staff were helpful and friendly. For me Tortuguero is all about the time spent on the canals and spotting wildlife and even after many visits over 20 years, it has never lost its magic. If you visit Costa Rica you should definitely visit Tortuguero and Pachira is a good place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Hebrew first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 10 August 2013

An urbanite, I went with a group of 12 adults,who are studying Spanish, to Pachira Lodge with trepidation. From the moment my luggage was loaded into one boat and we got into the other for our hour long trip through the canal I was hooked. What a great experience! The lodge reminds me of a state park lodge only much more exotic. Rocking chairs on the porch were fun, especially for watching the monkeys. The guides on the treks through the rain forest and down the canal were fabulous. The only bummer was the late night race in boots through the forest to watch the turtles lay eggs. It left us all with raw calves and blistered feet--don't wear boots! The pool was adequate for a relaxing afternoon post hikes.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
alicante, Spain
Reviewed 30 July 2013

It was to years ago that we stayed at the Pachira Lodge, first time in Central America, the trip to the lodge was great, the boat ride is the best way to begin the stay. The welcome to the lodge was good, and the staff were helpful, the food was great, BUT!! the rainforest is 'awesome' (not a word I use often) the birds and animals make your camera a 'must have' at all times. Don't miss any of the trips as they are superb. OK the lodges are basic, if you want luxury, the rainforest is probably not the place to go!!!
Did we love it?? Yes we did
would we go back??? Yes we would
I have tried to submit this review and it asks for m
In fact we are returning in august this year, just to make sure we were not dreaming the fisrt time,
Why didn't we go last year,,, we went to Ecuador instead. good, but not Costa Rica , and certainly not the Pachira.
Try it!! you will not regret it!!

Room Tip: Try to have a detached lodge, they seem to get more activity from the wild-life
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 18 July 2013

This is typical lodge for the area, no TV in the room, no AC. The pool is big and good for the kids, food (all included) was the best hotel food I had in Costa Rica, good spreads at breakfast lunch and dinner, high quality food. Their canal boat tour into the national park is great, two hours of wild-life viewing. Their tour into the town of Torteguero was pointless. You must pay $30 per person for the late night turtle viewing tour, I did not go, but I heard it was great, with several turtle sightings, where you see them laying eggs. Bring a flashlight and walk around the grounds at night and you can see a lot of animals. They also take you through the jungle during the day, bring insect repellant, a hat, and long pants for that one, trust me (they provide rubber boots). As most on TripAdv say, a great place for 2 days, then move on.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Chatham, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2013

My sister and I arrived by boat -as most visitors do. We did find out a few days later that it is possible to fly in/out...a great option if you've visited before.Staff were pleasant and helpful, our guide was eager to share his knowledge about the animals, birds and vegetation.All of which I thoroughly enjoyed.Our cabin was a bit of a walk from the main buildings however we found it to be a nice journey,monkeys above our heads feeding on fruit in the trees, toucans and so many other birds I cannot name within sight. The sounds were amazing ! Hot and humid to be expected....no a/c but manageable none the less. Sister lodge next door, pool and spa access encouraged. We had a wonderful massage at dusk...so relaxing and highly recommended. Ask for Victor. Would I go back? Absolutely! Highlight of my trip to this beautiful country.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank fleury5
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I loved this place. True, no A/C, but the lodge was clean and comfortable. Simple but very cute! (It is a lodge, afterall, in the middle of the rainforest.) The lights were dim but I believe blazing "city lights" would scare away the animals. It was very fun to be woken up by the howler monkeys every day (hard to sleep through that!) and watching them on the grounds at dusk. Also very nice that everything was included. At first it was more than I wanted to pay but I did not want to miss Tortuguero, and I 'm glad I did not. In retrospect, it was a great value because transportation from San Jose to Pachira Lodge was included, and it is a difficult place to get to on your own. All the tours were included, which I would definitely not miss, as well as the meals. Unlike, some of the reviews I just read, I though the food was excellent and did not seem the "typical" buffet, mediocre, semi-warm food. (I almost always do not like buffets because of this, but I though the fruits, salads, and meat were fabulous. And the desserts!) I thought the food was fabulous! In fact, we stayed an extra day, and the manager, Robert, and the cooks made sure we got "special meals" on our extra day. For dinner we still ate from the buffet but the cook prepared a delicious pork chop as well. It was fun to watch the animals on the grounds and on our tours as well. The first day we hit the pool before our first tour and found some huge iguanas just hanging out by the pool. On one of our boat tours, we saw five spider monkeys jumping, playing, and swinging from branch to branch. It was so much fun to watch! I would recommend staying here 2 nights/3 days. I would stay here again for sure!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jilltraveler26
florida
Reviewed 5 June 2013

After a long boat ride we were pleased to arrive at the Pachira Lodge.
The rooms were simple but comfortable and very clean.
I know we were in the jungle but the lack of AC was an issue. It was very hot!
We did ask for an extra fan and it helped.
The food was also simple but the staff were very helpful.
We were willing. To give up some comfort to experience the Howler monkeys,beautiful birds and beautiful grounds.
We did sit around the pool one afternoon which was very delightful.
It's a nice place to spend a couple of days.

Room Tip: Ask for an extra fan
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple