Toucan & Tarpon
  • Beachfront
Hotel Suerre(Guapiles)
US$112
Very Good 4/5
Hotel El Bambu(Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui)
US$102
Great 4.5/5
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
Average 3/5
All reviewsacross the rivercanoe tourwater taxibanana breadnight toursolar powerno hot waterown mealstortuguero villageexcellent breakfastmain villageshared kitchenhowler monkeyscosta ricabooking toursjungle experiencenational park
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Our room was fully independent, simple, clean with very good price. Jeff, the host is very welcoming.
You need to be aware that there is no hot water so our showers were very short and but still very much welcomed due to humidity and hot temperatures.
No glass on the windows but hopefully some curtains. As we are used to leave in the city it was quite difficult for us to sleep with the sound of nature.
Jeff is preparing breakfast at anytime ! We had to start our canoe tour at 5.30, so Jeff prepared our breakfast for 4.45!
Jeff is a good cook and we really enjoyed the diner he prepared with some chicken, rice, salade. It was quite convenient and avoided us to pay the taxi in order to go back to the village. And for sure was better compared to anything we could have found in the village. What we enjoyed was the friendly atmosphere of all the guests sharing the same diner table.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My 18 year old son and I travelled to Tourteguero and stayed at Toucan and Tarpon for 5 nights. His goal was to fish and catch a tarpon and mine was to relax and enjoy the beauty of the surroundings. Both our goals were accomplished!! My son caught numerous species of fish including hooking a 100lb plus Tarpon and several stingrays. He will have those fishing memories for a lifetime. Upon arrival we were shown to cabin 1 and I was thrilled to see a private washroom which included a lovely tiled shower. The cabin was as neat as a pin with very comfortable beds. Breakfast was included and it was excellent. The homemade jams (stawberry and pineapple) were incredible!! Jeff and Sue went out of their way to ensure our stay was comfortable, called for water taxi's when we wanted to head over to the town and gave us plenty of local information to be successful tourists in the area. Both Jeff and Sue are thrilled to tell you about the additions to their garden, what the plants/tree's are and what they will be producing in the future. Also, they are able to identify many of the animals by their unique sounds. I was lucky enough to stand with Sue, just outside the kitchen area, and have a spider monkey scale down a tree and literally be within 6 feet of us, looking at us, looking at him. It was a great moment. I would highly recommend this gem in the jungle for travellers to the area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Toucan & Tarpon offers basic accommodations in a lovely and convenient location. Tucked in the jungle, almost directly across the river from Tortuguero Village, the water taxi costs little and the breezes off the water are a delightfully refreshing relief from the heat of the town.

We spent three nights at Toucan and Tarpon and enjoyed Jeff and Sue's hospitality and excellent cooking. We saw exotic birds in the lodge's garden, walked their jungle trails (were grateful for the absence of rain, so this was easy), and felt lucky to have shared the place with a family that asked Sue to prepare an evening meal. It was fabulous and way more affordable than going to town for dinner.
We think this is a perfect place for backpackers, outdoors people, those who don't require pampering or an excess of comforts and for families on a budget. We're grateful to Jeff and Sue for maintaining an affordable option in Tortuguero. Go there for Costa Rica's natural beauty not for a Marriott or W, and you will be well satisfied.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AliceOlson
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We stayed at Toucan & Tarpon for 3 nights. We made the special trip during for my birthday and it will always remain as one of my best to date!! What an amazing experience. We arrived by boat from Limon and a water taxi took us to Toucan & Tarpon. I must admit that when we first arrived, I was a little taken aback due to the remoteness of the place. However, that is exactly what's so special about it. Take the time to enjoy your surroundings, it's magical.

We went on a night bug watch tour with a local guide directly on the property, it was terrific as there's so much life at night that you would never see in the daytime. A little creepy and scary but it was fun! We also went on an early morning canoe ride through the various canals just as the wildlife awakens. Again, a very lovely excursion and truly beautiful. Take the time to visit the little town of Tortuguero, it's really special with it's restaurants, gift shops and great people.

The owners, Jeff & Sue, are just terrific. They tell you their stories, help you with anything you need and make you feel like you're a special guest at their home. I've never received such personal hospitality in the past. They invited us to sit with them during meal time, shared their VERY yummy breakfast (including home made jams and bread!), and many wonderful conversations. By the time I left, I thought I was leaving home! Since I've returned from holidays, I think of this place every day!

THANK YOU so much Jeff & Sue for making our holidays the best ever! We hope to see you again very soon.

Your friends,
Colin & Francine

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I came to Costa Rica with my 2 kids (12 & 10) and my husband. Our first stop was in Tortuguero for an unknown number of days. I must say, our time there was excellent. We arrived via Nature Air from San Jose and Jeff was waiting there for us with the resorts boat to pick us up. It was raining pretty hard and was cool outside - Sue was waiting for us to return and gave us warm tea and coffee and fresh banana bread. We instantly felt welcome here.
We got into our 4 person cabana - which was awesome. there was shelves and room under the beds to put our luggage. It was also nice to have the kids sleeping in different beds and not having to share. I had the best nap that day - the cabanas have lots of screens around it instead of solid walls, so I could hear the rain, the monkeys and feel the breeze from the jungle. For the same reasons sleeping at night was some of the best sleeps - you are somedays woke up early by the howler monkeys, which is pretty cool. After all isn't that why you are in Costa Rice - to experience the jungle?
I was pretty hot there so the kids spent lots of time in the pool to cool off. It is a small pool, but big enough for the kids to have fun in and for me to cool off in only to return to the beautiful sunshine.
Jeff and Sue had a platform set up with fruit that encouraged toucans and other birds as well as beautiful butterflies to come feed at a close distance.
Being surrounded by the jungle made it easy to see wildlife and Jeff and Sue would point stuff out as they would see it throughout the day. We also did a night tour right from the property - that was awesome!!
If we needed anything - Jeff and Sue were more than happy to accommodate - from being up early to feed breakfast to making sure we had a water taxi to pick us up to seeing us off on our final day.
The highlight for my husband and son had to be the fishing. They caught a 90lb tarpon, a 40 lb stingray and some other fish. Jeff & the fishing guide were great in helping with bringing in these fish. The boat was great for getting the fishermen in and out of the sea.
All in all, this was the favourite part of our trip and definitely plan to return to Toucan & Tarpon Lodge in the near future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family