“Zancudo Jewel”
Review of The Zancudo Lodge

The Zancudo Lodge
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Golfito
Reviewed 27 March 2013

My wife and I have not written many travel reviews in the past but we both agreed, at the risk of others discovering this jewel, that we must share our experience. This was our very first time in Costa Rica. All transfers were timely and efficent. Upon our arrival at the lodge, my non-fishing wife and I immediately found Zancudo Lodge to me much, much more than a fishing lodge. Owners Gregg and Goldine have truly created not only an amazing destination but they put together such a freindly and professional staff. Goldine started with a tour of the beautiful grounds, exotic gardens and introduced us to many of the staff. We felt as though we were welcomed by close family/freinds. Their was no doubt that a lot of love has been put into all aspects of this operation. We stayed in a newly revonated junior suite (#18). The unit was clean, comfortable and beautifully decorated. The local Guanacaste and other hardwoods provided a warm tropical and classy look which was repeated throughout the grounds. The main bldg provides such a comfortable place to relax and enjoy the sunset and tropical drink. I spent 3 days fly fishing where I found the captains to have many years of local experience. They are not restricted to off shore miles and other limitations and can go to where you will have the best fishing opportunities. I had the additional treat of fishing with Abraham Concepcion. It took me 3 days to realize that Abraham is a fly fishing legend who has fished with the best of the best over the years. After receiving tips about rigging and sailfish techniques, we brought up 5 sailfish on Day 1. Thanks so much Gregg!!! The Rafael/Abraham combo was key to my success in releasing multiple sailfish each day. I learned SO much and I am very grateful to have had them guiding me. This is certainly the place to go if you want to fish for billfish, Roosterfish and many other species. After all, the lodge holds over 70 records!.

As if I wasn't already having the time of my life, I discovered that the lodge was hosting the 2013 IGFA Expedition Costa Rica. I was quite a thrill meeting IGFA execs and others that have such a passion for fishing and conservation. I knew I had chosen the right destination if the IGFA chose Zancudo Lodge for their annual expedition.

The fishing was great but make no mistake, this is MUCH more than a fishing lodge. The lodge chef created exceptionally prepared creations that would be served at the best restaurants. Each day we were treated with variety of local fish, meat dishes and other delights. The lodge is also happy to cater to special dietary needs/tastes. For us, every selection was a winner. The chef grows his own organic veggies and fruits in the garden which is on the property. The flavors were so fresh and delightful that you will never reach for the salt or pepper. The chef will also make it a point to come out to ensure your satisfaction. Hey Bourdain! You should look this guy up...and you can actually catch some fish down here too! :)

Ryan who tended bar during our stay is a very experienced surfer who also coordinates surfing trips to the world renowned Pavones and other hot spots a relatively short distance from the lodge. While my wife and I weren't ready to brave the big surf we opted for the calmer waters in front of the lodge for some stand up paddle boarding. The lodge has a variety of top SUP boards to choose from in addition to kayaks, boogie boards etc.

Again, we felt as though everyone at the lodge was more of a family to us. During our stay some of Goldine's family visited from San Francisco. My wife and I were invited to join the family on one of the Eco Tours but we weren't properly geared-up for this type of trek through the jungle and under waterfalls. Thanks for the invite Goldine. Maybe, on the next visit. :)

To the delight of guests, staff and locals alike, Gregg and Goldine had a surprise in store for all on Friday night. As guests finished their dinner and the night grew dark we were treated to a stunning pyrotechnic performance which would have made the Grucci's proud. It was quite a show.

One of my wife's memorable moments was feeding a family of white-faced monkeys along the mangroves at the dock. They will come right up to you if you have some bananas in hand and we took some great pics. During one of our walks Gregg pointed out the gorgeous Green Parrots. It's also safe to walk outside the lodge while enjoying the lush tropical plants and variety of birds. All the locals we passed greeted us with a big smile. I believe it true that the Costa Ricans are some of the happiest people on earth.

Thank you Gregg, Goldine and the Zancudo Lodge family for making this such a special vacation for us. If world class fishing or surfing is in your plans or maybe an Eco Tour, Zip Line Adventure or you simply wish to relax and enjoy the beach, pool, awesome game room and amazing sunsets, Zancudo Lodge should be on your short list. I will surely be spreading the word to family and freinds and my wife is telling me she wants to go back. Who am I to disagree?

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Mr. and Mrs. Robert R!
What can we say......A HUGE THANKYOU for an amazing review.
We are humbled, all of us including the entire staff. It's a complete
team effort and all of us are so proud that you and your wife had
such a nice time here. You were a pleasure to serve and we were so glad
that you chose to spend this time with us. We sincerely hope that
our paths will cross again in the very near future!

Reviewed 27 March 2013

This is my second visit to the Zancudo Lodge and I have to say that it is better than ever. My first experience was wonderful, however the owners, Goldine and Greg, have managed to blow my expectations out the water. My husband and I stayed in their newly renovated junior suite and it was gorgeous. The last time I was in Costa Rica, I was eaten by the mosquitoes as one can expect in a tropical place. This time I left the lodge mosquito bite free as the lodge installed a mosquito repellent misting spray along the perimeter of the property. This was such a lovely surprise as I always get at least 12 bites from every tropical place I visit. The lodge also has a refrigerated linen room for the towels and sheets to give them a fresh scent. They have also built a huge game room, so we were able to end the night with a game of pool, shuffle board, or foosball. You can tell the time and effort was put into the new renovations at the lodge. I think the topper of trip was definitely the food. It was amazing, with new specials everyday. Some of my favorites included, shrimp tacos, po boy sandwich, mackerel sashimi on a bed of seaweed salad, and the homemade ice cream! The ice cream alone could have been the highlight. Attention to detail is all I think of when I think of the Zancudo Lodge. The owners definitely have attention to detail.

Room Tip: All the rooms were amazing, but the upgrade to the junior suite is definitely worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

Thanks so much for the great review! We loved the fact that guests like you are enjoying our "behind the scenes" improvements like our awesome biodegradable system! We will continue to implement new environmentally friendly upgrades to the property so that each guests' holiday will be comfortable, effortless and worry free! Thank you so much for taking the time to review us and we look forward to seeing you and your husband back at the Lodge soon!

Reviewed 4 March 2013

My husband and I just returned from a three day fishing vacation to Zancudo Lodge in Golfito, Costa Rica. Our usual standard is great fishing and at least a clean place to stay. Well, the fishing was great, but the property was even better. Lush tropical landscaping, lovely pool, long black sand beach and rooms that were beyond comfortable. But the real star, along with the kind, patient and friendly staff including owners Goldine and Gregg, was the wonderful, inventive meals created by Danny using the freshest of ingredients including the fish we all caught. Even the travel was simple as Goldine made all the arrangements from the San Jose Airport to the lodge and back. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

The pleasure is all ours! Besides providing our guests with the best experiences, we also get the chance to learn from each and every client about what really makes a great trip. Thank you for
giving us such positive feedback in conjunction with great suggestions (cookbook!) while you were here at the Lodge. We appreciate your patronage and we really do hope to see you back in the very very near future. Our best to you in 2013!

Reviewed 28 February 2013

We just returned late last night from Zancudo Lodge. This was our second visit there. This is the place that will spoil you for life! Remote and so unexpected.

This lodge has definitely been through some major renovations. Goldine and Gregg have managed to take an already comfortable and beautiful lodge and elevate it to a fishing resort! Men and some women will go to fish; women and some men should go and enjoy the resort while their significant others go out fishing. I did both. The sea life is plentiful and worth seeing.

The rooms are spacious, incredibly clean and comfortable. The decor is divine. No detail has been overlooked. The bar and wait staff are friendly and attentive, as are all the staff. Frankly, the service was impeccable. The gourmet food is fresh and presented beautifully. You can have ice in your drinks as the water is filtered! The furnishings are comfortable, beautiful, and a real pleasure. The plants and trees are manicured, plentiful and enjoyable. New shaded decks with lounge chairs, overlooking the beach, have been added. Surprises of beauty await you on every turn of this property! A koi pond walkway? Unreal. Set up tented beach chairs on the beach for you? No problem.

The game room will have you weak in the knees. Pool table, darts, card tables, foosball, comfy seating, outside deck...did I forget something? If you enjoy a massage, definitely schedule one! The massage room overlooking the palm tree tops and the beach will take you to yet another level of Pura Vida!

Oh yes, the fishing. Organized. Reliable boats, Skilled captains. You only need show up and they take care of the rest.

We were there with a large group this time - a fishing tournament. Zancudo Lodge managed to make everyone feel special and on their own individual vacations. I am certain I speak for all of us that were there. The awards were spectacular.

There is a tiny village close by that is charming. Friendly people are all around you.

This jewel of the jungle has the quality experience of a five star property. No detail, absolutely nothing is overlooked!

I cannot wait to return next year.

Room Tip: There is not a bad room on this property!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2013

WOW! We knew you had a good time with us but wasn't expecting such a fantastic review!
Your thoughts will be definitely brought to the attention of the staff and they will be delighted to hear that as a team, we accomplished our goal of making our clients feel that it's a great experience to vacation at the Lodge. We look forward to seeing you next year. Stay tuned for more surprises!

Reviewed 13 February 2013

We just returned from Zancudo Lodge, Golfito, Costa Rica. What a wonderful vacation we had. We traveled with our good friends that we usually travel with. My husband was the only one that wanted to fish. However, there were lots of other things to do for the rest of us. The place is beautiful. Absolutely breathtaking. Grounds were covered with gorgeous flowers everywhere. The beach was very clean, clear and felt wonderful. The fishing was great. The lodge was beautiful and the wait staff was so gracious and accomodating to us. Gregg and Golding the owners are very friendly and caring and certainly did everything they could to make our stay the great vacation that it was. Now for the best part...Five star chef did a phenomenal job of preparing the food at every meal. Everything was grown right there. Fresh, fresh, fresh. Even homemade ice cream! Fresh fish at every meal. Wonderfully presented and prepared. I highly reccommend this as a great vacation destination.
Vonnie M. from Tx

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ywmhicm
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2013

So happy to know that you had a great time relaxing at the Lodge. We're glad to know that everyone enjoyed the meals as we take great pride in presenting the freshest of the southern zone to all our guests. Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a great review and we hope to share more good times with you in the very near future!

Reviewed 11 February 2013

Upon arrival to the Zancudo Lodge I was welcomed personally by Gregg and his wife who own the Zancudo. Thoughout my stay they asked if there was anything I needed and even looked into changing my flight for me, so I could squeeze in one more day of fishing. The view from the lodge overlooking the ocean is beyond words. The wait staff, bartender and all on-site help went out of their way to make my stay fantastic. During my fishing experience, I couldnt have asked for a better captain and mate. By the end of my 3 day fishing venture we were laughing hysterically at jokes and talking about next years trip. My only regret is not booking 5 or 6 days fishing.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bryan D
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

So glad you had a blast here at the Lodge. Thanks so much for your fantastic review and we have shared your generous words with each and every staff member here! We look forward to sharing more happy times with you in the years to come!

Reviewed 10 February 2013

My fishing buds and I just returned from another fabulous, awesome adventure with Gregg and his team at The Zancudo Lodge. Five of us made the trip and what a trip it was in a word - Flawless, flowless arrangements, flawless connections, flawless reception, flawless lodge, flawless staff, flawless equipment, flawless fishing, flawless weather, .... did I say the trip was flawless?

Gregg and his lovely wife have made The Zancudo Lodge a destination. If you haven't been, I really can't describe it or do it justice. Yes, Gregg has been around for a bit (from the beginning), but maybe we can just have his wife run the lodge from here on out and Gregg can hang out surfing and such!

We docked after arriving form the Golfito airport, as the boats were arriving from the days fishing and brought back tales of large sails, Marlin that got away, some tuna and Mahi-Mahi on the cleaning table being readied for bar/pool side snacks. We got settled in quickly, ordered a cold one and next thing I knew it was Mahi-Mahi snacks by the pool side along with a fresh drink.

That evening a fabulous meal, and wonderful desert then off to bed. More upgrades to the rooms this year to make them even nicer. Most noticeable were the high thread count sheets! Up early for a wonderful breakfast and then to the boat, make bait and out past the point to the blue wate. We headed out about 15 miles .. saw birds and dolphin.. our Capt Raphel readied the lines and we began .. in less than an hour, we had a double hook up of 2 tuna. My Buddy David landed a 40#+ one and I had on about a 70+ brute. Of course, I got the bigger tuna! After about 20 min, we had both in the boat and were partaking of fresh sushi!

Later we raised a couple of sails .. and boated one! Wow, what a way to start another Zancudo Adventure.

A quick run back to the lodge --- more drinks and fresh tuna appetizer. Awesome tuna steak for dinner, and home made ice cream for desert.

Day 2, fabulous eggs ranchero, on the boat and off to make bait, then out after the monsters. This time we went out to about 30 miles and immediately hooked up on a double sails! Boated both! Then it was time for those fabulous Zancudo PB&J on home made bread! A couple of those and a few more beers an we were ready for more action... that day, we missed a couple of sails and boated 6. Wow.. another winner of a day. Today, David got the big fish!

Day 3, not as much action, but by any measure... not a slacker of a day either. Raised and boated a sail. Raised and caught a brief glimpse of a blue marlin --anytime a Marlin comes up in the spread it is exciting. Really wish we could have gotten him to the boat, but - it's fishing, not catching. We did land a nice Mahi-Mahi - abt 40#.

The lodge just keeps getting better and better. This year while there were some improvements with the facilities and equipment, the most notable was with the staff. Ryan the bartender was back - definitely a welcome return. The wait staff was pleasant, and so accommodating it almost made you feel guilty to ask for anything. They have added some recreational activities to the lodge grounds. My bud and I tried the YOLO boards... no we weren't daring enough to go on the river side with he crocks, we went to the gulf side with the sharks. Had a blast and if I must say... I stayed up longer and looked more masculine than his skinny --- self.

We have a wonderful trip. I would definitely recommend this to anyone, couple, or family wanting something different and to experience the best Costa Rica has to offer. This is a wonderful experience that really can't be topped -- it is definitely a value proposition!

whw

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends

What an awesome diary of your trip! Our team appreciates the great review and we are glad that your group had an enjoyable time with us. We aim to strive for an even BETTER experience for you next season! Tight lines and thanks again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Golfito
Playa Cativo Lodge
Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge
Hotel Samoa del Sur
Hotel Samoa del Sur
#7 of 12 in Golfito

Been to The Zancudo Lodge? Share your experiences!