My wife and I just got back from 6 days at Zancudo, 3 of which were fishing days (just me). I have never posted a Tripadviser review before, but I wanted to acknowledge the great time we had. First and foremost, the service was simply outstanding. Costa Rica is known for its friendly people, and granted this is not your average hotel, but everyone (and I mean everyone) was courteous, helpful, accommodating, friendly, and more than eager to make our stay enjoyable. Whether it was Ariel delivering a pot of coffee to our room at 4:15AM to get me ready for fishing, or Ryan delivering great drinks at the bar, or Dayane helping us with Zip-line arrangements, we could not have been happier. And of course owners Greg and Goldine likewise were always available to answer questions and take care of us. Especially important to my wife, who has food allergies to gluten and dairy, the chef, kitchen and service staff went out of their way to take care of her dietary limitations. The food was always good (perhaps a bit too much mahi mahi and fish in general). The fried whole grouper fantastic. So was the steak. The only surprise was that I had heard how good the pork was (banana-fed), but none was served at the restaurant. There were other staff I wanted to thank as well, but I just don’t remember their names.
The lodge itself was very accommodating. Everything was clean and top notch. Complimentary daily laundry was very much appreciated (especially after fishing!). The dining area was open and airy with great atmosphere. The pool was nicely situated. Cool looking plants were everywhere. My wife had no trouble reading by the pool, watching the birds or walking on the beach while I was fishing. Of course there were tours and suchy available as well. There were also some great people we met while there. I am pretty sure I will be going on an Alaskan fishing trip with one of them next year! Some people did not fish either so my wife had some company. Since the lodge is small, you could always find privacy, but we seemed to gravitate to new friends. The beach seemed safe, and rarely had more than a couple people walking or jogging on it as far as the eye can see in either direction. Sunsets were facing the beach, from the dining area and bar and provided great photographic moments.
As for the fishing, which was frankly my main purpose in going, I was able to catch my first sailfish (just a few, but a couple were 90 – 100 pounds) and roosterfish (one was 30), as well as mahi mahi, including one estimated by the captain at 35 pounds that jumped off the gaff at boatside and into the ocean as the mate was trying to bring him on board! There were a couple other species as well. The action was slower than usual and slower than I expected, but I was very happy with the results nonetheless. The captain and mate I had (Lindor and Jerry) were top notch and did everything they could to make me successful. I very much appreciate their efforts. Lots of things to see. Lindor took some extra time to show me a whale and a calf that were breaching. Beautiful landscape. Thanks again for a great trip. We hope to visit again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Zancudo Lodge is surrounded by the beauty of Costa Rican wildlife, verdant tropical foliage and is located beachfront. Ideally bordered by the Pacific Ocean and the Rio Coto river, we offer our guests the perfect setting for an idyllic vacation accompanied by your choice of a variety of thrill seeking activities. Our guests can choose amongst a list of popular sports such as world class surfing, standup paddle boarding, premier catch and release sport fishing and kayaking or a variety of day tours indigenous to the Golfo Dulce such as a visit to a botanical garden and a wildlife sanctuary, oceanfront horseback riding or a zip-line canopy flight through the rainforest. Those guests who prefer to enjoy the tranquility of the resort can spend time relaxing by the pool, taking a stroll in our tropical fruit garden, playing a game of bocce ball on our regulation court, receiving a deep tissue massage, practicing yoga or pilates in the open air or simply relishing the vastness of the Pacific Ocean from the privacy of our Zancudo Beach.Our brand new public space houses an elegant fountain reception area, gift shop, 3 lounge areas, a fine dining restaurant (seating capacity 40), bar (seating capacity 16) and a state of the art kitchen. On the second floor, there is a game lounge complete with a widescreen TV viewing area, pool table, shuffleboard table, card table, foosball and a massage relaxation room with an outdoor shower. On our property, our guests will also find beautiful tropical gardens, green houses (with our own organically farmed product), our own Lodge marina located on the Rio Coto (where all guests are greeted with a VIP service of a welcoming drink and cold towel), a salt water pool and palapa lounge area and open air beachfront platforms (for exercise, lounging, etc). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Agoda so you can book your The Zancudo Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Zancudo Beach Hotel Golfito
- The Zancudo Lodge Costa Rica/Golfito