“First time in Costa Rica - not the last.”
Review of The Zancudo Lodge

The Zancudo Lodge
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Golfito
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My wife and I just got back from 6 days at Zancudo, 3 of which were fishing days (just me). I have never posted a Tripadviser review before, but I wanted to acknowledge the great time we had. First and foremost, the service was simply outstanding. Costa Rica is known for its friendly people, and granted this is not your average hotel, but everyone (and I mean everyone) was courteous, helpful, accommodating, friendly, and more than eager to make our stay enjoyable. Whether it was Ariel delivering a pot of coffee to our room at 4:15AM to get me ready for fishing, or Ryan delivering great drinks at the bar, or Dayane helping us with Zip-line arrangements, we could not have been happier. And of course owners Greg and Goldine likewise were always available to answer questions and take care of us. Especially important to my wife, who has food allergies to gluten and dairy, the chef, kitchen and service staff went out of their way to take care of her dietary limitations. The food was always good (perhaps a bit too much mahi mahi and fish in general). The fried whole grouper fantastic. So was the steak. The only surprise was that I had heard how good the pork was (banana-fed), but none was served at the restaurant. There were other staff I wanted to thank as well, but I just don’t remember their names.

The lodge itself was very accommodating. Everything was clean and top notch. Complimentary daily laundry was very much appreciated (especially after fishing!). The dining area was open and airy with great atmosphere. The pool was nicely situated. Cool looking plants were everywhere. My wife had no trouble reading by the pool, watching the birds or walking on the beach while I was fishing. Of course there were tours and suchy available as well. There were also some great people we met while there. I am pretty sure I will be going on an Alaskan fishing trip with one of them next year! Some people did not fish either so my wife had some company. Since the lodge is small, you could always find privacy, but we seemed to gravitate to new friends. The beach seemed safe, and rarely had more than a couple people walking or jogging on it as far as the eye can see in either direction. Sunsets were facing the beach, from the dining area and bar and provided great photographic moments.

As for the fishing, which was frankly my main purpose in going, I was able to catch my first sailfish (just a few, but a couple were 90 – 100 pounds) and roosterfish (one was 30), as well as mahi mahi, including one estimated by the captain at 35 pounds that jumped off the gaff at boatside and into the ocean as the mate was trying to bring him on board! There were a couple other species as well. The action was slower than usual and slower than I expected, but I was very happy with the results nonetheless. The captain and mate I had (Lindor and Jerry) were top notch and did everything they could to make me successful. I very much appreciate their efforts. Lots of things to see. Lindor took some extra time to show me a whale and a calf that were breaching. Beautiful landscape. Thanks again for a great trip. We hope to visit again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank andy h
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

We are so pleased that both you and your wife had a wonderful time at the Lodge. Costa Rica is a friendly and beautiful country and we are so proud to be a part of the amazing offerings! We sincerely hope to see you back at the Lodge in the very near future.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

My husband and I just returned from a 3-day fishing trip to Zancudo Lodge and it was indeed a trip of a life time. The Lodge itself was absolutely beautiful and maticulously maintained. Everyone at the lodge from the front staff to the waiters and gardeners were very friendly and helpful. The food was wonderful - even the packed lunches on the boat were great. Now for the fishing - the very best I have ever encountered! Just in our boat with Captain Elvis, we managed to reel in 10 Sailfish, 3 Dorado, 1 Blue Marlin, 1 AmberJack, and 1 Roosterfish - and in just 3 days. Fantastic is all we can say! The Marlin was the icing on the cake - and caught only 14 miles out. Last but not least the owners, Greg & Goldine, were extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and truly cared that our stay was wonderful. I can not believe that there is a more wonderful place and experience in this part of the world.

Room Tip: Regardless of where I stay, I always choose upstairs and end of the "hall". At Zancudo we...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

It was sincerely all our pleasure! The staff joins me in thanking you and your family for your visit ......it was so much fun having you all there at the Lodge. We really hope that we have a chance to serve you again in the very near future!

Reviewed 8 February 2014

We just spent 4 days at Zancudo Lodge. There is nothing better, the staff and facility are amazing, they make every day an adventure! Must return soon! There were days full of activities, fishing and relaxation, you cant miss at Zancudo Lodge

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your visit and for your review.
We're so glad that you had a great time and that your days were filled with activities. Hopefully you also had enough time to relax! We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I flew out of Philadelphia the first week of January during a miserable snowstorm heading for our dream vacation to the Zanccudo Lodge. When we arrived after a lovely boat ride provided by the lodge , the real exceeded all my expectations! We were personally greeted by the owners Greg and Goldine at a (Fantasy Island) type setting. They made us feel at home right away! We were also greeted by a host of professional staff who would wait on our every need. The lodging and dining was five star to say the least and the fishing was more than anything I could ever imagine! We caught snapper, Dorado, Rooster, sail fish and a huge Blue Marlin! This is a trip that I would recommend to anyone! We can't wait to go back!!!! Thank you to all the staff. ...Charlie and Sue Kleva

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank charliekleva
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

We sincerely hope we made your 50th birthday a very memorable one. The staff joins me in thanking you for spending such an auspicious event with us. We hope to celebrate many more birthdays with you in the years to come!

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Very few things in life live up to the expectations you set for them, and even fewer exceed those expectations. The Zancudo Lodge will exceed even the loftiest expectations. I participated in the 3rd annual Pelagic Triple Crown of Fishing at the Zancudo Lodge with three friends this past December. We were staying at our family's house across the bay, but due to the unique travel associated with the tournament, Gregg and Goldine bent over backwards and found accomodations for us for the entirety of the tourney.

To say the food and drink is excellent would be a gross understatement. The rooms and resort itself are uniquely modern and upscale, and the fishing is world class due to the unbelievable group of captains and mates that make up the Zancudo Lodge fishing crew.

We plan on returning for this tournament every year, and I hope to be back on the water in the Contender the first week of April which isn't far off. Thanks again for a wonderful experience Gregg and Goldine!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this great review of our Lodge. It's entirely a team effort and we're so proud of our staff that make up this dream service team! Very happy that you and your friends had a great time and we're so glad to hear that you will be returning for the next annual event! See you in April!

Reviewed 14 January 2014

This was a dream vacation for my husband and I. The owners Greg Mufson and Goldine Wang really have created a once in a lifetime fishing adventure and added in five star services with every aspect of the resort. We did the three-day fishing package and were thrilled with both on-shore fishing and offshore fishing…. Our captain, Elvis, knew his stuff when it comes to fishing. We caught Rooster, Snapper, Dorado, Sailfish and the last day of fishing my husband reeled in a 260 lb. Blue Marlin. It was spectacular… Elvis’ knowledge of the waterways and expertise really made our fishing adventure memorable!!!
The staff at the lodge was wonderful… every one of our “wants” and “needs” were taken care of by Dayanna… we miss her already. The food is outstanding; fresh fish, fresh fruits and vegetables, homemade desserts, Chef Daniel is amazing!
We were treated like royalty by all the staff – especially Ryan, Chalber and Emmanuel. They made sure that we had an unforgettable dining experience every breakfast, lunch and dinner!!
In our weeklong stay, we also tried zip lining, surfing and ended the week with heavenly massages right at the resort… Pampered clients to the fullest!
We would highly recommend this trip for someone looking for world-class fishing and five star accommodations along with the personal attention to detail!!! We cannot wait to go back next year! Thank you for an awesome vacation!!!
Charlie & Sue Kleva

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suekleva
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

It was sincerely all our pleasure to ensure that your week long stay was a very memorable one. We appreciate the wonderful review as it encourages the staff to work even harder to provide an even higher level of service and attention to detail.
Have a wonderful 2014 and we hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I am an avid offshore angler and fished 6 consecutive days with the Z-Lodge team in early December. All I can say is you must have this on your bucket list before you head to the grave. The captains (Javier, Tito & Raphael) were extremely experienced and fished hard each and every day. I spent 4 days with Javier and hope he enjoyed it as much as I did. We fished a solid 8-9 hours a day and covered more ground with multiple baits and strategies. Equipment top notch and we caught fish at will. I was somewhat early in the season and solely hunted for billfish. Hour run to the main grounds on the Contender (twin 300's) and you are in a prime area of the world. Water rises from 6K to 1k feet with 2 FADs. Bait everywhere. Blues in the spread every day. Could not get all to take bonita but the teasers were battered. Landed 250+ Blue and had 2 other hook-ups. Sails and Tuna beginning to show up. 50+lb Rooster and Cubera. AJs very abundant. I could go on.

Resort staff was top shelf. Appetizers and drinks when you return from the day. Crab cakes, sashimi, etc.. Ryan runs a great shop at the bar. Whatever you want, whenever you want and as many as you want. Dinner's were 4 course with fresh fish and meat dishes each evening. The food was off the charts with the chef from San Jose. Breakfast was excellent and prepared you for a long day on the water. Pastry chef was awesome. Wait staff did more than you could have asked. Rooms modern and great amenities. Wife left phone on the aircraft from SJ to Golfito and staff retrieved it and had it at the lodge by the time we returned from fishing the next afternoon.

Excellent surfing right outside the resort. Longest westward wave in the world.

I have to say Gregg & Goldine, you have a very special place and you definitely have it figured out. We are coming back first week of April with our three girls 9, 15,17. Place is gorgeous and tons to do besides fishing. Monkeys, crocodiles, birds etc... A true paradise.

Don't change a thing and make sure my booking is secured for April.

Dean & Nancy Childers

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

We are absolutely thrilled that you both had a great time and it really makes all our work worthwhile when we receive great feedback from our guests. We are constantly trying to improve our operations and we sincerely look forward to seeing everyone back n April. Thankyou from all of us at the Lodge for your wonderful review. We will try even harder to make your next trip that much more special for you and your family.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Golfito
Playa Cativo Lodge
Hotel Casa Roland Golfito
La Purruja Lodge
La Purruja Lodge
#8 of 12 in Golfito

Been to The Zancudo Lodge? Share your experiences!