My boyfriend and I stayed at the Nicuesa Lodge for three days and three nights. We were very impressed by the hospitality, available activities, food, and accommodations, but we were disappointed by the value of the activities. One of the main reasons we chose Nicuesa was that we were on extremely tight budgets as a medical student and recently graduated PhD student. We wanted as much control over our spending as possible, and we wanted to be able to stop worrying about money upon arrival. We should not have booked the Rainforest Package.
Below are some warnings if you are considering booking a package, which includes some set of activities in addition to food and accommodations:
(1) The extra daily price of the package could easily exceed the price of activities you would order à la carte. When we booked, the prices were not available online. When we arrived at the lodge, we found that many were much cheaper than the surcharge we were paying. It would be good to request the current prices before booking. It seems the Rainforest Package provides (ironically) the most savings for people interested in fishing.
(2) The activities listed are not all available every day, even if the weather permits. Activities for each day are announced the previous evening. Most of the activities involve early morning departures.
(3) Activities cannot be substituted. The Rainforest Package allowed us one activity from a list each day. We arrived at 10 a.m. and found that most of the activities available under our package were not available that day. We accidentally chose an activity (the night hike) that wasn't in our package, and we didn't realize this until we were presented the bill upon checking out. Though we still only chose three activities, and though the night hike was cheaper than almost all of the activities available under our package, we were still charged the full amount of the hike. This strikes me as unnecessary and marginally tacky, and it was a lousy note on which to end (and remember) the trip.
I hope other travelers can avoid our mistake.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Nicuesa is an environmentally-friendly eco-lodge set on a 165-acre private rainforest preserve on the undeveloped Pacific Coast of Golfo Dulce in southern Costa Rica. Our jungle & sea location provides a unique adventure and nature vacation: the front yard is a gulf right off the Pacific Ocean, and the backyard consists of thousands of acres of pristine tropical rainforest. Overall, the experience embraces conservation and harmony with the natural environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Travel Republic (UK) and Booking.com so you can book your Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Hotel Golfito
- Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Golfito
- Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge Costa Rica/Golfito