Saladero Eco Lodge
US$112
US$107
Hotels.com
La Purruja Lodge(Golfito)(Great Value!)
US$38
Hotel Samoa del Sur(Golfito)(Great Value!)
US$45
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstree housewonderful hostsprimary rainforestother guestshowler monkeysfamily stylegolfo dulcecosta ricafishsea turtlespaddle boardsspent nightslemongrass teasolar powerosa peninsulabird watchingkayak tour
Reviewed 19 May 2009

If the idea of an isolated untrampled jungle environment hits your spot, then look no further. My wife and I have been regular travellers for over thirty years and didn't believe a place of such untouched beauty still existed anymore.
From the moment we arrived Harvey the owner,ever smiling Frank the boatman and Paulina our cook made us feel particulary welcome. We stayed for four nights in the bright and airy bungalow and dined below helping ourselves from the 'honesty bar' a rare provision these days.
The lodge is surrounded by thick jungle clad hills that reverberate to the calls of howler monkeys and birdsong. Early one morning we joined Harvey paddling around the bay for a couple of hours in kayaks searching for a lobster dinner with not another soul to be seen-Magical!
Sadly we did have one regret-having to leave so soon!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bongobob5
Reviewed 25 April 2009

A group of 5 travellers( primarily teachers) booked a spring break trip at the Saladero after reading about it on Trip Advisor. Wow, what a find! If you want a wonderful vacation away from the beaten path with local flavor in a tropical paradise, you just found the place. I booked the trip for the group and I felt very responsible for how the vacation might turn out if the Saladero wasn't what it professed to be on the website. Our expectations were more than fulfilled. We were greatly impressed with everything about the Saladero.
When we arrived in the little village of Golfito, there was our host, Harvey, waiting for us to take us in a taxi to his boat for the 30 minute ride to his remote location on the Gulf of Dolce. From the moment we arrived, until we left, we were treated like extraordinary guests with our every wishes met. Harvey took us on a nature walk and botanical tour of his native plants and fruit trees. We were fed 3 delicious meals a day, cooked by a wonderful local woman, Paulina. We snorkled, kayaked, fished, played croquet and soccer...(all of the gear was supplied by Harvey).
The beach house was very comfortable, with great beds and very adequate space for the 5 of us. The food was a combination of local cusine and Harvey's own favorites. The breakfasts were a choice of eggs, pancakes, rice and beans, and cereal. All of them were served with a wide selection of fresh juices from fruit grown on the property. YUM! They went well with the the evening cocktails, too.
As it indicates on the website, Harvey can set-up special tours during your stay, but for our group we only went on a half day canopy zipline tour because we didn't ever want to leave the place. The zipline was great ... nice staff, safe, and ecologically minded.
There were so many other bonuses, like the pet turkey buzzard, (Chippy, that followed us everywhere), Howler Monkeys, Toucans, Parrots, very warm sea water, and average temperatures in the 80's.
Not a bad place to thaw out for five frozen Montanans. If any of this sounds good to you, try the Saladero, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank MontM
Reviewed 5 April 2009

This is without exception the finest vacation that my family has ever taken. As you can gather from other reviewers, one can only describe our stay with superlatives. Harvey was attentive 24/7. his local Tico staff including Paulina the cook and Frank the boatman were both gems. The scenery :dolphins and Jacks gamboling in the Golfo Dulce out the front and the cacaphony of birds and Howler monkeys and rainforest behind us was surreal. With adequate screens, hot water, showers and electricity (powered by off the grid hydroelectric and solar) we were up close and personal with all that Mother Nature had to offer but without the creepy crawlies to contend with at night.
The food was the highlight local dishes plenty of fabulous fruits and juices, fresh fish- the cerviche( fish barracuda marinated in lime and cilantro) is to die for. Snorkeing, swimming, kayaking, mangrove river tour, hiking in rainforest...nirvana.
This should be on everyone's bucket list!!
well done Harvey, we will be back
the MacDonald family

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank sergepd
Reviewed 17 February 2009

After a very long trip from Europe I finally arrived at Finca Saldero. I was met at the airport by Harvey, my host for the two week stay and from that moment I began to relax. Harvey is charming, kind and informative about his adopted home in this pristine paradise. The moment I arrived by boat at Saladero I felt all stress begin to melt away - it takes very little time for the rythm of the place to embrace and calm a soul.
I was settled in the Beach House, a large comfortable place with amazing views in all directions.The Beach House is open to the breezes but screened in to protect from insects in the evenings. Its beautifully constructed with native woods and rattan furniture - I was very comfortable there and would highly recommend it.
My day usually started quite early - the birds and the Howlers are natures introduction to the new morning. The sea is usually very calm early in the morning and was the best time to view wildlife breaking the surface of the water. This is certainly not the place for sleeping in late - there is so much to experience. I saw some amazing sights just a short distance from the beach - two large turtles playing, dolphins swimming and a very large rooster fish breaking the surface at incredible speeds while chasing smaller fish.
I chose the full meal plan and was not disappointed, Paulina and Harvey made sure the meals were delicious and varied. I loved that we ate fish caught in front of the property, juices made from fruits trees on the property, eggs from the pampered chickens and healthy meals prepared with herbs out of the garden. Coconuts are everywhere and you havn't lived until eating one of Paulina's coconut heladeras.
The tours are well worth taking and I would recommend taking the River Tour and the Botanical Gardens. Both are close by and give one a much richer experience of the region.

Harvey has done a beautiful job establishing Saladero as a sustainable lodge sensitive to the environment and providing much needed work for the local people. There is a lot to learn here about living a simpler life.

This was the very best vacation I have ever taken and I would recommend it highly.
Well done Harvey !!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank LillyanneSR
Reviewed 13 February 2009

In traveling you want to get a feel of the land, it's people, the culture. We got just that. From foods prepared by Paulina and our host Harvey- picked fresh from the amazing property which borders a park on one side and Golfo Dulce on the other. To waters clear enough to see 150 feet down-and gardens to take your breath away. It is almost sensory overload. We would recommend this lodge not only for the obvious but for all the surprises we found on our own. We stayed in the treehouse, although there is a full two bedroom beach house available. Our host is kind gentle and respectful. He treds softly on the land and has an appreciation of Costa Rica which is contagious.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple