“Great little hotel right on the beach” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Nine

Hotel Nine
Ranked #1 of 30 Jaco B&B and Inns
Miami
“Great little hotel right on the beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

The hotel was being renovated when we arrived, but we still fell in love with it quickly. Hotel 9 is right on the water and the sunset view from the balcony, where I was able to drink a few beers from the (early closing) bar, was absolutely fantastic. Rooms are clean and bathrooms are just fine. Beds leave a bit to be desired, but I expect that will change as the renovation process continues. My wife and I immediately thought about bringing a whole bunch of friends back here, as it is really would be a great spot to take over--a lot of the rooms offer multiple beds too. Great value, great location, and friendly folk make this one a winner for me.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

My husband and I were delighted as soon as we spotted our beautiful hotel from the beach-road. So,yes, you have to practically drive on the beach to get to it and yet it still manages to have a (small) parking area (perfect since we'd rented a car). Guests have to arrive by 6:30 before reception closes but it's a good thing because it would be near to impossible to find the location in the dark.
Susanna at the front desk was so nice and welcoming and answered all my questions patiently throughout our stay. When she didn't have an answer she'd hunt it down for us. The double room we chose was clean and has everything we look for: Free wi-fi, AC, TV, a safe (not big enough to fit a standard laptop though)-- the room even has a clean and spacious mini-fridge!! (No phone-- although who uses that nowadays!). The bathroom seems to have been recently rennovated/updated and is nice but with just a pedestal sink, it could stand to have a little shelf on the wall for resting our toiletries and more hooks. I loved the simple neutral decor and after our lengthy travels in Costa Rica (having stayed at 5 other hotels), i was SO happy for the spectacular recessed lighting (no, seriously, i was thrilled). But The best part is the view from the hotel; the balcony is hovering over the beach. Speaking of which, the beach is not great-- dirt instead of sand and the Pacific is rough but it was fun to watch the sun set and the surfers as we drank store-bought beer (yay for the mini fridge!). It's also a great walking and running beach in the morning when the tide recedes. Now for the ugly: The bed. Both the mattress and linens leave much to be desired. I'm not looking for Egyptian cotton and down feathering but the way the rough linens rubbed up against the synthetic mattress cover on the hard mattress made me cringe. This could be easily fixed with a soft cotton mattress pad and softer sheets. But Maybe the hotel has to do that so that the guests won't stay forever. :)
The pool space outside is perfect for hanging out with friends. The pool has a swim up bar space (but not tended). It was just my husband and I this time but we would love to return with a group of friends and stay in the bigger suite that sleeps 6 (2 queen beds and a futon). I asked to see this room and the beds and linens seemed to me much softer there.

Sent from my iPad

Room Tip: Go for the room farthest from the beach if you're looking for size (great for a group of friends...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

A friend told me about Hotel Nine and I really enjoyed my stay. All beaches in Jaco are not created equal! I spent a lot of time on the beach and a short walk in both directions from Hotel Nine and you get to rocky beaches. Surf and local attractions were fun! Highly recommend

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

My first visit to Jaco, I sat on the beach and saw this very hotel. It looked so inviting, so on my next visit my boyfriend and I stayed there. Wonderful staff and ambiance and right on the beach. Very clean. Tasty breakfast which was included in the price. The only issue is parking. Not much available. But overalla really great experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

I have stayed almost everywhere in Jaco and to me this place makes the most sense and bang for your buck. New ownership seems to be upgrading everything. Its basic but clean quiet and comfortable. The location is the best part the best beach is steps from your front door. Great service, food the staff bent over backwards for me. No downside here that I can see ?

Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

This was my 3rd trip to Jaco Beach and Hotel Nine is the best! The ocean is 25 yards from your room and it's the best beach in Jaco. There are no rocks as opposed to a little further down. The staff is excellent and speak English. They will help you book local excursions if you want. The pool is so nice and relaxing. The hotel is gated and very safe. I will be back soon!

Room Tip: Rooms 4 and 9 are suites with 2 queen beds and a door in between.
Jacksonville Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

This was my 7th trip to Jaco Beach and I am so glad I found this perfect location. I stayed over the Memorial Day weekend for 4 nights. Hotel Nine is right on the ocean on the south end of Jaco Beach. This is the best part of the beach for swimming, walking and especially surfing. Other parts of the beach are very rocky or have strong ocean currents not good for swimming. I stayed in the Hotel 9 Suite which was amazing. Huge room, king bed, wet bar with fridge and plenty of space to relax. The oceanfront balcony was a big plus to just sit and view the ocean and hear the waves. Breakfast was included and the service at the restaraunt was great I had breakfast and lunch daily, the food was good and reasonably priced. You get free use of their surfboards with many choices and for beginners there is a surf school right in front of the hotel. Whether fishing, surfing or just relaxing at the beach you cannot beat this location. Very clean rooms, great service and bi-lingual staff made my stay a memorable experience. As bonus was seeing many pairs of Scarlett Macaws flying overhead during the day. Pura Vida!!!

Room Tip: The Hotel Nine suite is a primo location well worth the extra money.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo