“Great Surf Instruction!”
Review of Del Mar

Del Mar
More attraction details
Owner description: Del Mar Surf Camp is the premiere surf camp in Costa Rica with over nine years of experience teaching people how to surf. We provide a maximum of 2 to 1 student to instructor ratio with local Costa Rican surfers providing a safe and quality surf instruction guaranteed for everyone to catch waves. Our all inclusive surf camps include everything from daily yoga classes, daily nature walks & healthy meals to create the perfect vacation in paradise. Owned & operated by local Costa Rican, you can be rest assured that your experience will exemplify all the "Pura Vida" culture Costa Rica has to offer.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Ten women spent a week at Del Mar Surf Camp. We had the best time! The hotel was nice with a great pool and right on the beach. The surf instruction was tops! We had a 2 to 1 ratio. Everyone loved their instructors! They were knowledgeable and able to work with each individual's abilities. They were trained in CPR and really made sure everyone was safe. They were FUN too!! Will definitely return!

Del_Mar_Surf_Camp, Owner at Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

Greetings from Del Mar Surf Camp,

Thank you so much for your comment. We really enjoyed meeting your group of 10 chicas!

It was a pleasure to meet such an amazing and happy people! Please come back. We would love to see you guys again!

Reviewed 14 November 2012

My friend and I are on our last few days in Costa Rica. We signed up for the "mini" surf camp and took a couple of surf lessons and paddle boarding tours with Del Mar Surf Camp in Jaco. Tomorrow is our last day surfing and we are very sad to leave. Our instructor is Paco. He is just awesome and we love him. He is very patient with us and makes surfing which is a very hard sport seem so fun! He is an amazing instructor. We didn't work with the other staff but they are all friendly and fun. If you want to learn and have a wonderful time doing so, Del Mar Surf Camp is just the right place for you. Ask if Paco is available, I think he works with the "beginner-intermediate" surfers but I'm sure he will be great with any level as he is AWESOME! Don't forget to leave them gratuity, he and his fellow instructors deserve it! We'll definitely contact them when we come back to Jaco, Costa Rica.

Del_Mar_Surf_Camp, Owner at Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2012

Hi,
Greetings from Del Mar Surf Camp!
Thank you so much for your kind review.
We agree that Paco is amazing and are blessed to have him as part of our staff.
Really happy to hear your surf experience was a blast.
We look forward to see you guys again in the near future.

Reviewed 18 October 2012

I just got back from 5 days in Jaco at the Del Mar Surf Camp. The stay was as the Hotel Del Mar (not affiliated - I was told - despite the similar name). The instruction was great. October, when I went, is the low season, and there was only one other 'camper' for most of the time I was there. I ended up with a private instructor - Paco (from Spain, great guy), who work with me for three days, and then Derby (from CR) on a fourth day. My friend (a gal) had Jefferson as her instructor. All were helpful, patient, and spoke English well.

Additionally, Monica (photographer and tour guide) was a big help - showing us places in Jaco to go (you might figure this out yourself, but it was nice to have the recommendations). We did some hikes, and an ATV tour. My only complaint is that while it was the "low season" - and the hotel rates were clearly marked down - there was no price difference in the camp package (which included the hotel). It seems like if the hotel is $300 less for the week that at least some of that might get funneled back to the "camper". That said, perhaps the private lesson makes up for it...

Del_Mar_Surf_Camp, Owner at Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2012

Hi,

Thank you so much for your comment.

I want to explain you that Hotel Club del Mar gives us a flat rate for the year. Meaning that you can book our packages in the highest season at the same price when the hotel prices go up.

We are currently working in hand with the hotel to figure out a better way to preset our package sin low season.

Thanks for the comments about our staff. I appreciate you taking the time to write a review.

Pura Vida from Costa Rica!
Del Mar Surf Camp

Reviewed 10 October 2012

I booked a solo trip through Del Mar in September 2012. I purchased the Surf and Stay Package ($1650 total), which included accommodations and the surf camp. While my surfing instruction from Dave S. was excellent and I have absolutely no complaints about the actual instruction, there was no "camp" to speak of. Del Mar arranged for my airport transfer and for my accommodations at Hotel Club del Mar. Once I arrived at Hotel Club del Mar, I was on my own except for when I saw Dave each morning for my surf lesson. I never met anyone else from the camp, except Monica (the photographer) on the very last day when she dropped off my photo CD. In sum, my trip was no different than if I had booked a hotel on my own, and just taken surf lessons each day with Del Mar. However, once I got home and did the math, I realized that I paid about $200+ more for the package than I would have if I had just booked the hotel and surf lessons separately because the hotel is really inexpensive this time of year (low season).

I wrote to Maria and explained that if I had purchased everything separately, I would have paid less. She explained to me that even though the hotel costs less this time of year, Del Mar pays a flat fee for the hotel for the year, and that she didn't think the pricing was unfair. While I agree that it may not be "unfair" pricing and I don't think Maria was trying to cheat me, it just doesn't make any sense to book the package when there is nothing special about doing the "camp" versus just booking a hotel and doing lessons. After explaining my position to Maria, she agreed to refund me $200.

To be clear, I think this type of experience is limited to the low season. The hotels are cheap and there aren't many people there for the camp or otherwise. Nonetheless, I expected at least to have a host from the camp, or something to make it feel like I was part of an experience, not just getting a hotel and surf lessons, especially since the package costs more than just purchasing each of the components separately.

1  Thank PennGirl

Hi,

I appreciate your comment. As I explained in my previos emails, we have a flat rate for the year no matter what season it is, meaning you can book our camps in the highest season and the price remains the same.

We are currently working in hand with Club del Mar Hotel to solve this for our next green season.

Thanks,
Del Mar Surf Camp

Reviewed 7 October 2012

while in costa rica i decided to try surfing.. i am not a strong swimmer by nature so i had my hesitations but when marcel picked me up i knew it was going to be great! he gave me a quick tutorial with all of the basics and we ran into the water.. in no time i was up and surfing! i had a wonderful time in the water and will definitely continue to try! Thanks again Marswell!

Del_Mar_Surf_Camp, Owner at Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2012

Greetings from Playa Hermosa,

We are so happy to know that your surf lesson went great and that Marcel gave you some confidence in the water! Keep it up and come back to catch some more waves with us! Thanks for taking the time to write a review for us.