“Worst experience ever”
Review of Jaco Inn

Jaco Inn
Ranked #17 of 67 Speciality Lodging in Jaco
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Apparently, there are no rules (or air conditioning) at all in this house. We stayed in a room that looked adorable online, however, there was no air conditioning which meant we had to leave the windows open. The room was situated immediately off the deck where everyone was partying. We felt like we were trying to sleep through a house party which didn't end till well after 3 in the morning, then, at 6 am the music started right up again. We left. When we woke up people were crashed on every couch and spread out all over the floor. The person working didn't even look up from the computer. We have never felt so unwelcome anywhere in our entire lives..

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amanda l

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I hate to give this hostel a bad review solely because the guy who works up front, Henry, is so sweet. We booked this hostel after waiting till the last minute right before Semana Santa (never good idea and we had less options as a result). We opted for a private room with bathroom and fan. When we first arrived, I thought this place is rather rustic but for the price I wasn't expecting much. I immediately realized why you pay up front when booking online.

However, my main issue is that this is not an inn or hotel. It should be called Jaco Hut. The private room was exactly that. When we entered there was sand all over the floor and wasp nests on the ceiling. I've traveled all over CR and stayed in pretty bare bones places. I could not have stayed here more than 2 nights. You will be scarified to the mosquito gods since they have easy access to the room through mesh paneling (the hut is not fully enclosed). Prepare to wear bug spray and reapply madly. There is not hot water, which didn't bother me with the heat but it's good to know. The sheets don't fit the bed and we were sliding off of it all night.The part about a fan is a joke. We had a tabletop fan which didn't work the first night and when I asked the night worker for a new one, he said maybe tomorrow and went back to playing on his tablet. Henry was nice enough to try to fix it the next day but no go. It never got started and it's miserably hot at night.

I think this hotel could be a bit better with a few changes. It's obviously a popular spot for surfers and maybe I'm just not the right client. In the future, I'll probably spend a few more bucks to avoid sweating all night and being eaten alive by bugs.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Stayed here for one night solo. Its a nice hostel with all facilities . 4 people can stay in a room easily . It has bunk beds and a nice kitchen . Bathroom is attached with every room . Located in middle fo the city nearby the beach .

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank axj312
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here two nights. I'm 22 years old, backpacking and roughing it out through Costa Rica so I can handle a lot of stuff. We arrived with no help at first and some evil glares from some women who help run the place.. Which still continue to the second day. First night we stayed in a cool large room with orange blinds to the ground. The pillows had white stains on them, and the fitted sheet didn't stay on the bed so we accidentally were sleeping on the dingy mattresses. The fan wobbled and I thought it was about to fall on my head. It smelled like sewage for a couple of times. The shared bathroom was decent. Didn't shower in it though. The floor was soaked with water and sludge. Then we moved to a room with a shared bathroom... So cool right? Wrong. The shower leaked THROUGH the wall all into the main room soaking our backpacks, so be warned of the second room on your left if the yellow tin building. We told a guy that worked here and he told us to just get a towel. Woke up today to find the toilet backed up to the brim and almost overflowing so that is also another thing we can not use. And I know that neither one of us had clogged it. No shower, no toilet. The sheets were clean and no stains visible. The only reason I didn't completely rate it 0 is because the common area is cool. There's a nice hammock and the wifi is strong. Shared kitchen space there was a dead cockroach and the floor with ants eating it but eventually someone came to sweep it up. Pretty unsanitary and rundown.

Like I said I can rough it out with the best of them but this place is pretty gnarly and gross.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I have stayed here several times, and it is my first choice when returning to Jaco. Dorms are 10$, private rooms are 30$- cheap and clean. I always think its going to be too hot, but there are ceiling fans, so its not too bad.

Showers are shared in the dorm (they have had hot water all the times I stayed), but clean and there is an extra one outside of the dorms in case yours is being used. A very simple hostel, but the ideal surfer place with hammocks and across the street from the beach.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 February 2014

It was about 200m from the beach, loads of restaurants close by, bike rental. My bf and I staid in a double room and it was very hot even with the fun. All shower was cold and the toilet broke in the second day. I was pretty cheap by the season, we went between Christmas and NYE. We`d go back :)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2013

It's right in the middle of Jaco. It was the perfect location. Very safe! Only people with keys were able to enter the Inn at night. Friends and I stayed in the dorms. We went to Jaco without any reservations anywhere so it was good to find this place. There was a refrigerator, stove, microwave, and computer. So if you're staying for a while bring something to make yourself! There was a bar about 50 yards from the front entrance - it was a good bar too! Jaco is definitely the place to be! And Jaco Inn was one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel