“A warm welcome and lovely surroundings”

Forest Hills Suites
Ranked #4 of 30 Jaco B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 March 2013

If you are a family or group of friends traveling togeather then this is the perfect place to stay. Erika made our stay easy and was a great source of information on the area. I would definitely go back again.

Hazel

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 February 2013

We had a great stay of 4 nights at Forest Hills in November 2012. We had the whole mansion to ourselves so we felt like real VIP's! It is a beautiful private property set on several acres with its own pool.
Erika is the manager of the property and she was so helpful in showing us around and helping us book tours, and is also excellent company to just chat with.
Most of the places on Jaco beach are a bit grungy looking so this a great alternative, however you will have to take a cab or drive to Jaco for supper or when you want to go out.
The house is staffed by a gardener, a housekeeper, and a security guard, and a very friendly golden retriever named Athena :)
The only downside would be that breakfast is kind of plain and the same every day compared to the feast we got every day at our BB in San Jose.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 January 2013

It was my 2 trip to Costa Rica and we were lucky to find such a good villa to stay)) we spent here about a month on New Year holidays, and it was really the best vacation in my life! Very good location, nice garden, beautiful house, comfortable rooms and very nice, very friendly management and owner of the villa))

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I liked this place a lot. As everybody noticed, Erika does really good job managing the place and being superfriendly and all-knowing about everything around.
The mansion itself it cool, too, only 5 rooms which means just the right number of people to chat during breakfast/dinner. Rooms are cozy and great, having a lot of space, great furniture and first of all - beds! Big tall beds for people who cherish their horizontal time.
Definitely will come back here if going to CR again!

Room Tip: Every room has its own character, from my experience the leftmost one is quite a large one with sun...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Awesome experience. The best hotel in the Central Pacific coast. Excellent service. My wife and I, and a couple of friends, stayed a couple of beautiful nights at this hotel. I slept like a baby. Very comfortable rooms. A delicious bed. Don't think twice to make your reservation. Come to Costa Rica, enjoy in Forest Hills Suites. Unique and amazing.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We just returned from renting this entire mansion for our family of 10 people. It was a wonderful experience. The mansion is so unique and beautiful and full of original artwork to enjoy. The bedding is of high quality in each bedroom and the living room has a huge LCD TV with every channel you can imagine. The simple driving instructions took us easily to the mansion coming from San Jose. The hotel was very well maintained and Erika is one of the sweetest people on planet Earth and a true professional in all respects! Her english is perfect and I could talk with her for hours (and did) and enjoyed each minute of it. The mansion is air conditioned and extremely comfortable. There is a security guard stationed in the yard area 24/7, the grounds are simply beautiful and the pool is delightful and maintained by a full time gardener. You will not want to leave this paridise. I highly reccommend this spot for anyone and especially for large families that want to rent the entire place, as we did. You can enjoy your time together so much more staying in a place like this. The grocery store on the corner is well stocked with everything you could possibly need to procure for a great visit and the owner give you the "run of the kitchen".. Each morning the attractive housekeeper prepared a continental breakfast of coffee, sliced fruit, and toasts. If you are like us and desire a more hearty breakfast, you can buy eggs, and ham or bacon and prepare it in the electric skillet to complete and add to the breakfast.

My Brother hired the "chef" that is mentioned by some other reviewers for a family meal on our 2nd night at Forest Hills. He visited in the morning to plan the menu and set the serving times for appetizers and dinner. The labor fee was $200 for he and his assistant's services with my brother also paying for the groceries which the cook did the shopping for. The cook and his girlfriend were extremely hard workers and worked most of the day shopping, prepping and cooking the dinner. Because of the very limited cooking equipment (a bbq grill, microwave, and an electric skillet) the cook could not meet planned appetizer and dinner times. (over an hour late for dinner). The food was good with some items being excellent and others being mediocre in my opinion. I grew up in the restuarant business and I'm critical so other family members could have other opinions. The price per person ended up being around $40 per person. I truly believe once Erika is successful in getting the awesome commercial oven and stove that is currently present in the mansion kitchen working, hiring this cook could become a good value, but not now.

The first night we were at the mansion we all dined at a local Jaco restaurant called Lemon Zest. This is an EXCELLENT restaurant owned and operated by Richard Lemon from Florida. Richard owned a very upscale, fine dining restaurant for many years in Florida and like us began visiting Costa Rica on vacation and fell in love with the country. Richard saw the need for an "American style" fine dining restaurant and sold their highly successful restaurant in Florida and began Lemon Zest in Jaco. It is a family operation and the service is simply incredible. The bar drinks were handmade and fantastic and every one in our group of 10 had a delightful meal. It is rare in the US for the chef of a fine dining restaurant to come out into the dining room and meet with guests, but Richard came out, chatted with the group, and made us feel welcome, introducting us to his wife, son, and grandchild. Richard even made two different types of bithday cakes for us and both were delicious. These meals averaged less than the $40 mentioned above (with drinks) and everyone of our group of 10 meals came out at the same time (which is rare in CR).. I had a filet Mignon with was as good as any I have experienced in the US. I can't stress enough what a great restaurant this is!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank sel6090
Reviewed 1 May 2012

April 2012 - We wanted to stay near Jacó but were unimpressed with properties available in Jacó. We had a vehicle and gave this a try. I figured I only had one night's deposit to lose if I didn't like it. This is a modern mansion and I understand it was built for the architect of the marina complex to live during it's creation. No expense was spared as the home and grounds are spectacular. The ceilings of all rooms are vaulted and rise about twenty feet with high hand crafted doors and built-ins. There is ceramic tile every where which is a must for hotels.

There are full time groundskeepers to keep the gardens looking something like La Paz. Once my wife went to use the pool and a worker raced over the make sure there wasn't a single leaf in the pool as it sits below beautiful huge trees. See my photos for a Toucan that lives in the trees outside the bedroom. Every morning at breakfast it came and pecked on the window.

We were the only ones staying here at the time but I felt very safe as there is a full time guard on the grounds after daylight. Every bedroom has it's own lock code and separate air conditioner. As with typical Costa Rica, there are no window screens so we used the air conditioner. I was afraid it would be undersized with the high ceilings but it performed perfectly. WiFi worked for my iPad in the bedroom, great room and outside patio. There is a safe in the room for valuables.

Employees come in the morning and make a breakfast of fresh fruit and breads with coffee.

We went to Jacó every night for dinner and it's an easy ten minute drive on level and wide roads.

During the days, we drove to Manuel Antonio (little over an hour on new, wide road). Carara National Park is about a half hour north - use http://www.victourscr.com as Victor is simply the best in Costa Rica. Tarcoles is also near Carara.

Ericka, a Tico, is the manager and she speaks perfect english as she's spent a lot of time in the USA. She's naturally personable and fun to talk with and ask any questions about Costa Rica. She comes to work at breakfast and stays late in the evenings to make sure your needs are met.

The only thing negative thing is the two smaller bedrooms share a bath room. There was nobody in the other bedroom so it didn't matter but you might want to get the more expensive rooms if this bothers you.

When we return to Costa Rica, I would base my vacation around Forest Hills Suites availability because it's that good.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank migrate_by_sail
Management response:Responded 14 July 2012

Thank you so much for your comprehensive review of our mansion hotel. I think you covered all the bases! If more travelers took the time to do such a complete and unbiased review of the hotels and resorts they have stayed at, we think that all of the world's travelers would have their vacations enhanced. Of course we're extremely proud of of our hotel mansion. We are delighted that you noticed and approve of what we've done and what we're trying to do. That is, leave no stone unturned to make our guests' experience at Forest Hills Suites a memory they will cherish for the rest of their lives. That's quite an aspirational goal on our part, but as long as there are appreciative guests like you, we'll keep striving to make this goal a reality year after year. We are really looking forward to serving you again on your next visit to Costa Rica. Thank you, and kind best wished for wonderful travels in your future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaco
Hotel Pumilio
#2 of 48 in Jaco District
Hotel Mar de Luz
Hotel Mar de Luz
#4 of 40 in Jaco

Been to Forest Hills Suites? Share your experiences!