Hotel Perico Azul
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewstortuga surf campsurf schoolcommunal kitchencosta ricasmall poolspotless roomsdogs and catsplace to staymaking me feelcozy hotelboard rentalsexcellent hostsminute walk to townsurf boardsquiet endhome away from homevisit jaco
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Google "Pura Vida" and you will find the meaning as "full life" or "plenty of life" or "this is living." Hotel Perico Azul and Tortuga Surf Camp fully embody "Pura Vida." The rooms are perfect. Simple, clean, comfortable, and everything you need. Location is an ideal starting point for many adventures. Playa Hermosa is 5 minutes away by car but I found myself surfing in front of Tortuga Surf camp often because it was fun and Michael and crew at the camp are the best. Anytime I had a question or needed anything, Celine, Michael or any of the other staff would appear within moments yet I rarely saw them. Their Pura Vida is contagious as all of the guests I met were great people with super attitudes which leads me to believe that all guests are vetted to ensure that they keep the riff raff away. One of my major concerns prior to visiting was being secure as I had many valuables with me (computer, headphones, ipod, ipad, camera, etc, etc). I am happy to report that I felt secure instantly and never once worried about my valuables. This trip was a working holiday for me so having stable Wifi was imperative. I am happy to report that the Wifi here was perfect for my needs and never did I experience down time. Sadly I only stayed 4 nights before I had to move on. No question I will be back but next time much longer. Thank you Celine and Michael (Tortuga Surf Camp) for teaching me and letting me experience first hand, "Pura Vida." Also thank you Michael for sharing Costa Rican culture and for trusting me with one of your surfboards even after I left the hotel. Because of you I was able to surf a decent board for my whole vacation which I really appreciated. I would highly recommend this boutique hotel to any travelers.

Room Tip: I think the only difference in rooms are size. Otherwise you cannot go wrong with any of them.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MarkDorsey
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Long overdue review but Celine is amazing and runs a great shop. Excellent location, close to the beach and nightlife but far away to be quiet. It was very easy to drive to Manuel Antonio from here and it was stunning. This place is simply the best.

Room Tip: Plan ahead, they only take cash.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

We were only have to stay with Celine for two days, but it was perfect. Rooms were large, and ours had a fridge perfect to keep drinks cold for the beach. Bathrooms were clean- and hot water was a nice surprise! The pool and outside area was beautiful and perfect for relaxing.

Staff at the hotel and with their partnering surf school on the beach were so friendly. They were very helpful with the local area too!

Our gps was definitely not working right and we did get a bit lost. If you are on the main strip in Jaco facing the ocean, continue left, keeping the ocean on your right. You need to head just outside of town, making a right at the three story municipal building. The hotel is just down the road- make a left turn when you see the sign.

Great location- close to the beach and town, but far enough from town to avoid the noise.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Every time when i come to that place it's beautiful and i don't want to leave again..celine and mike created a lovely place with a relaxed atmosphere. It's close to the beach and to town..the rooms are clean and whenever you need something every one is really helpfull..

Room Tip: all the rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marina H
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I see why this place gets great reviews. First of all, Celine was the nicest host I have met in my month in Costa Rica. She was very helpful and kind and she had the cutest cats! Lula the cat came to visit in my room the day I left. The place was clean, secure and had a great friendly atmosphere. My room also had a kitchenette and a fridge. The communal kitchen is a nice feature. There is a pool and the hotel is a short walk to the beach and restaurants. Celine also gives her guests a card for free beach chairs with a local company, which I did not get to take advantage of. Great place and very affordable, I will stay here again next time I am in Jaco!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple