“BEST HOTEL EVER”

Ranked #4 of 42 Hotels in Jaco
Miami, Florida
“BEST HOTEL EVER”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

WOW!! I have no words to describe the attention and quality of service that I received in this AMAZING little hotel!!! From the moment we arrived at the airport and were greeted by Jonathan, a warm Tico, I knew that we were going to be taken care of.

My friend and I stayed at Perico Azul and did the Surf Camp, which is optional, we met different people that were simply guests. We arrived at the hotel and Celine welcomed us, and showed us around, took us to the supermarket, and was always there when we needed something.

One thing I liked in particular was the common area, we barely spent any time at our room. There, we would sit throughout the day and in the evening and chat with other guests at the hotel. Perico Azul definitely gives you the opportunity to meet people from all over the world who are there to discover BEAUTIFUL Costa Rica.

By the end of our stay, we were hanging out with everyone that worked there, including Mike and Celine! I have stayed at hostels where the owners are very attentive, but this is just at another level. If you are looking for an authentic experience, you have found your destination!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH CELINE, MIKE, GALA, RUCA, MILO, DOUGLAS, VICENTA, (el hijo de Vicenta), EVERYONE!!!! You are one of a kind!! I will see you all very soon!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Delia305

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 12 November 2013

After spending 2 weeks in the jungle at the Tree Houses Hotel near La Fortuna, my sister and I ended our trip at Hotel Perico Azul. It is very nice and clean and within walking distance to the beach. Celine is awesome and takes good care of her guests. Our room was quiet and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SpokaneGal
Portarlington, Ireland
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Myself and my sister stayed here in March 2013. We stayed in the dorms. We found the owner to be very friendly and most helpful. It is a located in a quiet area of Jaco and if you are looking for some peace and quiet this is the place to be. It is within walking distance to the beach and there is a lovely restaurant next door with great food. It also have a small pool which is clean, a perfect size for cooling down on those hot days.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank cloney2
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 October 2013

The Perico Azul is the perfect place for a cozy and comfortable getaway. If your just looking for a place to party and stay up late this is not the place for you. If your looking for an authentic Costa Rican getaway, early in and early up this is the place for you. Celine is more then your average host, she makes sure that you feel at home right away. Anything you may have interest in doing, she will make sure you will be put in the right hands. Whether its zip lining, or yoga or directions to the supermarket or the best places to eat, she will make sure you know all the right places to go and not to go. Her recommendations are all on point, especially with the restaurants which all provide great authentic Costa Rican meals which are needed for a packed day of adventures. The hotel itself is clean as can be, very comfortable and secure. The rooms are very clean and beds are perfect for a good nights rest, which you will need after a day of surfing with Mike and the guys at Tortuga Surf School, which is the sister company of Perico Azul. Celine will do everything she can to make sure you have the best experience possible, which is exactly what I had. My stay at Perico Azul was by far the best experience I've ever had on any vacation. Thank you Celine for everything you did and I will definitely be back. PURA VIDA!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joseph C
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 17 September 2013

If you are looking for a 5 Star luxury resort then this place is not for you. If you are looking for an honest authentic experience then you have found the right place.

The Hosts
Every great experience starts with people and Percio Azul hosts Celine and Mike where fantastic. It is always special to be welcomed by people who are warm, friendly, honest and happy to take the time to chat, answer questions and simply just hang out. Most impressive was the honest nature upon which they operate. What you see and hear is what you get. I value that when i travel to new places.

The Hotel
NIce, clean, quiet, simple, relaxing. I loved the character. I wanted something small, intimate and local and that is exactly what i feel i got. The hotel is oriented around a courtyard with a small pool perfect for a cool swim that also makes for a nice casual lounging area to meet other guests.I stayed in the one bedroom suite on the second floor. It was quite large with a kitchen, dining table, living space, a separate spacious bedroom and a private bathroom with shower. Seating areas outside to relax, Wifi to stay connected and AC for a cool sleep made for a comfortable stay and a good sleep after beating myself up on the waves. Everything you need, really. The details like fresh flowers, surfgear hanging around, hammock, lounge chairs, fauna, birds, and a few relaxed pets add a nice touch. By the way, if you are worried, this place was very safe and secure. Never did i really worry about anything.

The Location
Set back off a main street on the quiet side of town. A short 5 minute walk to the beach and an easy 10 minute walk into the center of town where you can find everything you need. Don't miss Taco Bar for great smoothies and fish tacos, a Celine reco.

And more...
My plan was simple... i only had two days and one night to relax and learn to surf. Celine and Mike arranged my pick up in San Jose and back again. My private surf lessons with Mike were excellent! This guy loves and lives the water and is very committed to what he is doing. He worked me hard and taught me well. I learned a ton and now i am hooked. Ask and you shall receive. I definitely recommend Tortuga Surf School. They have a great set up and treat you well. This hotel surf lesson combo was exactly what i needed.

The only downer? You know it... leaving. It was sad to say goodbye and leave this place. I was just starting to settle in, had tasted my first wave, and met some great people. It now owns a piece of me. I'll be back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Jason D
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We are not surfers, we are not party hardy. If fact we don't even drink and have a house of kids at home so our hostels days are over. We were not sure Jaco would be a good fit for us but took our chances with Hotel Perico Azul based on reviews and we loved it!

We booked one night here because being landlocked we wanted to try our hand at surfing (Mike's surf lessons were great!) We ended up staying another night with Celine and Mike because it was such a welcoming atmosphere.

The rooms are simple but well equipped with a small kitchen and fridge. Showers were warm (maybe we just stayed in the wrong places, warm showers were hard to come by). Beds were very comfortable and AC worked well. I loved the hostel feel, lots of space to mingle and talk to other people who are staying there. And rooms were spotless.

Celine was such a good host. Spot on recommendation for restaurants, hiking and activities, drive time, etc. We asked, she knew. She took the time to get to know us and made sure we had everything we needed. This is a cash only place, no cc accepted, just a heads up.

On a side note, our experience in Jaco was pleasant. The south side is more residential. We walked into town every night for dinner (10 minutes) and would come home about 8:30pm and always felt safe. This was one of the few places in Costa Rica that was alive after dark and we enjoyed the shops and food. While I know Jaco has a reputation we didn't see that side of it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This place is sweet! I stayed for four nights in June and had an amazing experience. It has a nice hostel like feel, with a common area to hangout with other travelers and a pool to swim in. The rooms are basic but really cozy and perfect for the average traveler. It's not a resort but it has a much more authentic feel than a bigger fancy hotel. Definitely recommend checking it out if you're in Jaco!

• Stayed June 2013