“Loved it felt like Real Costa Rica!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Neo Fauna

Neo Fauna
Ranked #9 of 45 things to do in Jaco
New Orleans
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Loved it felt like Real Costa Rica!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

On our way into Jaco we passed as sign that said "Neo Fauna Butterfly, Frog and Serpentarium" Well my wife wasn't much on snakes but she really wanted to see the Butterfly's and frogs, so the next morning off we went. If the sign pointing up the hill leads you to believe that this business is right off the road it’s not but exploring Costa Rica is part of its charm. We wandered a few klilometers up a mountain road and would up at the place. We were greeted by our guide, (I forgot his name but I'll call him Andrew) Andrew. He came out with a little fur ball running around on his shoulder. Turns out it was a baby raccoon name Sophie. Seems the mother had gotten killed by a car so Andrew was taking care of it until it was old enough to take care of itself. There was a funny episode that occurred here but I do not find it funny. Because a friend of mine once had a run in with a rabid raccoon and it bit a big chunk out of his leg not to mention the rabies shots. Now in my defense no one told me that baby raccoons don't have teeth, but anyway, when Andrew put Sophie on the ground she took a bee line for my shoes or something. Well I kept dancing around and Sophie kept getting under my feet. I have faced a lot more terrifying things then a baby raccoon but Sophie had me hoping around like a little girl to the amusement of Andrew and my wife Jan. Now back to the report, if you are expecting a very nice and pristine place to breed snakes, insects and butterflies, this isn’t the place. Very rustic but we loved it. Our guide Andrew was really nice and you got the idea that he wasn't doing this for money, you could tell he cared about the frailty of Costa Rican reptiles, amphibians and insects. So we paid our $15.00 per person fee and off we went. We were shown a lot of poisonous and non poisonous snakes including the Fleur De Lance's one of the most deadly snakes in the world. A plethora of frogs like the different color Poison Dart frogs. Did you know that the green and black poison dart frogs are different on the Pacific Coast then they are on the Caribbean coast. On the Pacific they are green on black and on the Caribbean they are black on green. Just something to store in your useless trivia folder in your brain. The frogs were really colorful, we even got to hold some of the non deadly species. Like the red eyed tree frog one of the national symbols of Costa Rica. Unfortunately as soon as we got to the Butterfly enclosure it started to rain. We learned that butterflies don't fly in the rain. They must be smart, because they stay under the leaves to stay dry. We saw a few including a blue morpho but then it was time to head back to Los Suenos. So we tipped Andrew and wished him luck and told him we would spread the word about his little insectariums and the good he's trying to accomplish for Costa Rica. If you are into snakes, buttterflies and frogs or even helping continue the species then please stop by this place.

Visited November 2011