“Best Shop in Town”

30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Best Shop in Town”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Set my family up with boards for the week - very reasonable prices and great board selection to choose from. He has shaped for 30+ years and has the awards to show for it. Many Carton boards will be seen in the hands of locals in Jaco and the surrounding beaches, Hermosa - Esterillos - Bejuco... Great guy and so is his dad. We actually checked the boards out from his dad who spoke no English but we worked things out for a 1 day trial and could trade a couple boards in for different ones after trying them out. Highly recommend if you don't take sticks with you.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank adventurefamily05

London, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Carton is the man”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

The surf shop is conveniently located next to Jaco beach, and a 5 minute drive from Playa Hermosa, where we were staying. The boards are really awesome - but beware that there aren't a lot of mid-sized available. My companion and I have both been surfing several times before, but weren't quite ready for a shortboard. There weren't any mid-sized boards available, and Carton told us we'd be good as gold with 6'4s, but I knew that would be too short for me - I'd been riding mostly on low 7's before that. We had to return to the shop the next day to get different boards, still not exactly what we were looking for, but they ended up being ok anyway.

On a side note - Carton is an awesome character. We chatted with him a bit in the shop, and ended up randomly running into him a few times in Mal Pais the following week - he was hanging out with the shaper of the surf shop we were renting from there.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank nkamenetsky
Santa Ana, Costa Rica
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The real surf shop in Jaco”
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Carton's shop is the place to go in Jaco for a great selection of locally made new and rental boards, and a stop I always make in Jaco to see what's new. Super friendly and helpful! True Pura Vida spirit.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank JOTB2
San Juan del Sur, Rivas, Nicaragua
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great service and good vibes”
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We I came to Carton SurfShop in Jaco, I felt at home right away. The shaper, Edwin, gave us a little tour around the shop and the shaping room. He has amazing shaping skills, and he has a wide variety of boards for many levels. I loved the painting on them as well. It is not for nothing he shapes for the best surfers in Costa Rica and Nicaragua! As I am a big fan of Leilani McGonagle I was stoked to hold her surfboard freshly shaped! I would recommend everyone to visit the shop, and if you re not that into surfing; they have sweet hats!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Anne D
Ciudad de Heredia, Heredia, Costa Rica
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good guys and Good Boards!”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Best boards on Jaco area, good advice on local spots and a warm costumer service to me and my friends. I recommend this place if you are visiting Costa Rica and if you want to get info and general stuff on a single place.
Surf's Up!