“Romance and Serenity” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Jaco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Romance and Serenity”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Villa Caletas is a wonderful place to stay. We even met locals who vacation here. Its very romantic and trys to engage visitors alot. The service is great (everything is laid back), some people think service is slow but I dont agree. They just want u to relax.

I uaually dont like to stay at the same place twice but ill probably makw an exception for villa caletas.

I would go into specifics but the suprise is worth it, I dont want to ruin the small cool things they do for you (ok ill ruin just on3 housekeeper left us a different orgami animal out of towels every day).
Hope this reveiw helps you decide.

Sam

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sam H
Manager_Caletas, General Manager at Villa Caletas, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear friends, thank you very much for your warm review. As in your words "Relax" is what we want our guests to do. We have very happy to know that you had such a great time with us and hope you will visit us again soon. Pura Vida !!..best regards. manager@villacaletas.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

The only disappointing event of our stay at Villa Caletas was the scheduling of our visit. We got a Groupon for a 5-night stay for around $850, which is an amazing value for what you receive at Villa Caletas. However, I verified the information twice in which the concierge assured me my check in day was Monday at 3pm and my check out day was Friday at noon, which I thought was strange because at the hotels in the states, you receive five full nights at the hotels and then check out early the following day. But whatever, I booked my flights and we checked in no problem. Service, food, people, rooms - everything was wonderful. But the morning of our "check out day" when I called for the bell hop to grab our bags, the front desk assistant informed us that we have an additional day. In which, I was pretty upset because it was the first beautiful sunny day we had seen since we were there. It was too late to change the flight so we decided to check out anyway. They tried charging us for the room tax ($27/day) for the night we weren't staying. With that, I pulled up my email showing the confirmation of our reservation where lo and behold, I was right. They misinformed us. So granted, they did "discount" the last night and not charge us the tax on it. But the discount was only $120, which our five night stay totaling $850, it would be more like $170 for a discount, but we were already late for our flight and didn't feel like arguing. All in all it truly is an amazing stay especially with the jacuzzi in the junior suites and all the incredibly friendly and helpful staff, but I suggest clarifying and reclarifying your check in and check out dates when you arrive.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Esaltsman
Manager_Caletas, General Manager at Villa Caletas, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear Friends, thank you very much for your review. There was indeed a misunderstanding over your dates of stay, but as you said we were able to solved the situation. We are very happy to know that you had a great time with us and we hope that you will be able to visit us again soon !.
Best regards. manager@villacaletas.com
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

As a wedding photographer in Costa Rica I've visit lots of hotels. Villa Caletas is one of the top wedding destinations! Amazing sunset and professional service! If looking for a wedding destination Villa Caletas will definitely meet high expectations! If you want to see pictures of weddings in Villa Caletas just let me know!

Victor Castellanos

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Costaricafotogr... C
Dear Friend, thank you very much for your review. It is true that the hotel offers a spectacular scenery for weddings and thanks to our dedicated staff, we are able to create unique and memorable moments. Best regards. manager@villacaletas.com
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I went for a wedding on March 2014. It all depends on what you are looking for.
Pros: is beautiful and has great views, big rooms with your private hot tub or pool, perfect for weddings, the guys at the front desk and room service were very good.
Cons: isolated on a mountain from the rest of Jaco, expensive, they do not include breakfast like other hotels in Costa Rica and their restaurant is not cheap. The waiters were “divas”, not very happy to serve us. Is not a great for people that have a hard time with stairs, because is a huge property and to give that sense of privacy, the rooms tend to be away from each other, which means a lot of walking up and down rock stairs… we had to take 77 to our room (yes, we counted them).
If you want to surf, walk to the beach or party there are far better options. If you are looking to get away in luxury, you will enjoy it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank SaritaSD
Dear Friend, thank you very much for your review. Relaxing in luxury seems to be a good option !!
I just wanted to point out that yes the hotel is secluded in the middle of the rain forest but yet the closest town of Jaco is at only a 10 mins drive. Have a great day. manager@villacaletas.com
Margetshoechheim, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We came in from Quepos by car on 9th May 2014. It was already dark and raining. I followed the signs of Villas Caletas with no expectation. The private road to the hotel peninsula was already impressive. At the reception we were welcomed in a first class way. Even being walkins we got a room which was actually a house inluding private atrium. The surprise started next morning when we saw the facility in bright sunlight: we found ourselves on a private, 300m high peninsula with an undescribable overview over Jaco, Herredia and the Marriott Resort bay, Nicoya bay and up to Puntarenas. The whole surrounding was natural jungle filled with animals that walked and flew by on our way to the restaurant. We saw Iguanas, Frogs, seldom tropic insects, vaultures and other birds. Highlight: I could take a video of two snuggling Tucans on a tree next to our room.
After breakfast by hazard I ran into the owner Mr. Denis Roy, a Frenchman from Cognac, who was absolutely friendly and modest. We had a very nice chat in french language.
3 hours before checkout we took the free 1 mile offroad shuttle down to the private beach and found ourselves in a scenery that reminded me to James Bond movies- Just 6 guests and 3 service people at a private bay.
I am German and would like to express that I don't know any such place in whole Europe, exept maybe privately owned by multi-billionaires.
If you might find the room prices at the reception a little bit high, don't worry - you get so much more than just a room!! My wife and I were so happy to celebrate our 27th wedding anniversary here - just by accident...
R. & S. Roswora, Wuerzburg, Germany

Room Tip: Everything exclusive!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ralro
Dear Friends, thank you so much for your wonderful review. We all feel very proud of your comments. We strive to give the best we can to each and every guests and want them to go with great memories of Costa Rica and the hotel. Have a great day. Pura Vida !! manager@villacaletas.com
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Let me just start by saying the pictures on the website look beautiful, but the pictures of the rooms were not the same as the rooms we stayed in and paid for! When we booked this hotel, we told them that we were traveling with our 15 year old and twin 12 year olds and another family with kids similar ages. They do not have adjoining rooms, so they promised us rooms right next to each other. When we went to check in, they had our kid's room on the complete other side of the property!! We could not have our kids stay that far away from us unattended, so we all had to stay in the same room which was supposed to be a master suite. The pictures on the website looked awesome and huge and the patio looked wonderful with tables and chairs and hammocks. Not our room. Which also did not have working air conditioning or running water and the musty smell was so horrific it was hard to breathe. We were so cramped in this hot room with the water not working and they did nothing for us. We couldn't even use the little pool outside because there was always feces in it from all of the animals. They just did not help us at all. The manager was all talk and no action. The customer service was the worst I have ever encountered. I have traveled all over the world and always stay in five star resorts and this is most certainly not one of them. It was such a shame to end our trip this way because we had such a fabulous time in Costa Rica. The Arenas Del Mar Resort in Manuel Antonio was top Notch!! The most amazing customer service and beautiful!! I know the manager reads these reviews and will have something to say, but I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth.
This hotel has the worst customer service. From the moment we checked in to the day we left, we couldn't have been more miserable. I wouldn't stay here if it were free.

ps-there are not enough lounge chairs at the pool, a ton of people come to see the sun set at the bar that the hotel guests can't even get a seat, a waiter dropped a whole tray of wine glasses and cut my friend's daughter's foot, there was one little tiny trash can in the room that they wouldn't bother to empty, our room #19 had a gate you had to go through, walk down a path to get to the sliding glass door (they each opened with a different key), if and when we called for someone to come from the front desk or housekeeping they couldn't get in the gate. This whole stay was just awful from start to finish! Ugh, two thumbs down!!!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank Andisue14
Manager_Caletas, General Manager at Villa Caletas, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear writer, Wow. That is a bold statement !!. I could use this space to answer your review as i always do, trying to understand what we did wrong and learn about it so we can improve our facility and service,but will not as i quote you : " I know the manager reads these reviews and will have something to say, but I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth." You seemed to have hated everything we do and i don't see any space in your mind to change that point of view. Best regards. manager@villacaletas.com
Bernardsville, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I have been fortunate to travel frequently outside the U.S. Villa Caletas was one of the best experiences I have ever had. The property was gorgeous, views at every angle. The amphitheater was beyond terrific for watching the sunset with classical music and a nice refreshing drink.

The infinity pool exceeded the enjoyment of the private pool that was outside our suite. Gosh, I must say that the patio and hot tub were unexpected and very relaxing and private. The staff was outrageously fun and professional. I brought my two daughters (young ladies) and the guest team helped them when they lost their keys, lost their way or just wanted the cutest guy to pick them up in the cart to escort them to their room! Seriously, this place is close to heaven. Keep up the outstanding service and facilities, spa and food. We will be back, soon.

Room Tip: We had two rooms, Rm. 82 was outstanding with a large patio, pool, hot tub and view of the Nicoya. R...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank JennaCarrol
Dear Friends, thank you so much for your words. It is always with great proud that we received compliments from savvy travelers like you. We work very hard to give the best to each and every guests and we are delighted to know that you and your family had such a great time with us.
We hope you will visit us again on your next trip to Costa Rica. Pura Vida. manager@villacaletas.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaco
Hotel Pumilio
Hotel & Club Punta Leona
#1 of 2 in Punta Leona
Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
Zephyr Palace Luxury Rental Mansion

Been to Villa Caletas? Share your experiences!