“Best spot on the Beach”

Ranked #24 of 44 Hotels in Jaco
Oshawa
“Best spot on the Beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2010

We have been to this hotel twice in the last month, first time Jan 26-Feb 2, 2010...our last visit was March 2-9, 2010. We feel that for the money this is the spot to be in JACO! The hotel is VERY clean, the food is incredible. The restaurant is Peruvian with a menu most nights, weekends the buffet was still wonderful with lots to choose from. The beach is beautiful, black sand and sunshine!!!! Costa Rica is definatley a favorite destination, as we have been there 5 times!!! For the money, Hotel Balcon Del Mar provides it all!!!! Beach, food, people, staff, all were EXCELLENT!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
North Carolina, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2010

We spent 6 days in this hotel during Christmas break. We had room 402, which is what they called an "apartment", a suite with 2 bedrooms. One bedroom has one queen bed with view on the pool, another room has 2 queen beds with view on the side of the hotel and the beach on the side.

Pros: the staff obviously tried to be nice, you can feel that they had bad reviews in the past and that they were working hard to make good impression. Speaking some Spanish and being friendly definitely helps "build contact". They responded diligently whenever asked for standard small issues (additional towels, help with the safe inside the rooms, etc).
The pool is nice, with several basins of different depths and temperature. The fact that the pool is easily seen from most rooms makes it very safe for kids. The beach is just across the street, you can't dream of an easier access. Rooms have air conditioning.

Cons: well... there are quite a few, unfortunately. First of all, do not expect luxury in your rooms. Our beds were old, cracking on every move, mattresses should also have been changed several years ago, but I guess that this is okay if you do not have any back pain (bed sheets were fine). There is a hot water tank obviously heated by the sun and shared for all the rooms. So if you take a shower in the night or early in the morning, you may be one of the lucky ones having hot water. Otherwise, expect cold water in your shower. With 80/90 degrees outside, this is not a show stopper either.

More of an issue for us was the hotel neighbours. There is a bar next to the hotel, called the Ganesha, that turns into a dancing place of some sort at night, and it is very, I mean, very, noisy. During our stay, 4 nights out of 6, we could not get asleep before 4 AM (we were in the room with the view on the side of the hotel and beach) because of the loud music. Although our windows were closed, the vibrations from the bass speakers were so loud that the cups in the cupboard were choking on their plates! We tried to complain to the staff, they told us that they would do something, then after nothing changed the following night, that this was part of the normal consequences of having neighbours. They could not change our room as they were full... if given the same room,s I would definitely not go back to that place, but I would recommend it if you get a room on the pool or the other side.
Also, I do not recommend their onsite tour agency. We bought a Volcan Arenal tour with them, which was nothing more than being dragged from tourist shops to tourist restaurants, before finally staring at an empty field in the dark and been explained that lucky people sometimes would see sparkles in the dark... whereas I know very well that you can walk on trails, get close to the volcano and hear its sound, then get to observatories on the right side and actually see something. This tour is a complete rip off.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Sacramento, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2009

A friend and I stayed at this hotel for one night, each in seperate rooms. Upon check in we went to the bar and ordered two beers each, a order of nachos, and an order of chicken fingers. The was to suppose to have been $24.00 but they charged $36.00. I tried to show them what the cost was as per the menu and the waiter stated he only spoke spanish. When I spoke to him in spanish he began to argue even though I showed him on his caculator he was wrong. I dropped the subject before it became physical.

We then left and went for a walk around Jaco. We came back to the hotel later that evening. Prior to getting into bed I took a shower with cold water, not warm. The water smelled terrible. I then dried off and went to get into bed. I pulled back the sheet to find bugs crawling about. Not just one or two but several. I attempted to contact hotel staff but it was after hours. I ended up sleeping in a chair for the night.

The next morning I met with hotel staff. I stated that I was leaving the hotel and explained to them about the bugs and the filth of the room. They stated that they would give me another room. I did not want another room and told them I was leaving. They ended up charging me for two nights even though I only stayed oned night.

I have been to Costa Rica numerous times and stayed at several hotels. I have never had a problem until this hotel. All I can say is that if you are looking for a nice science project and want to collect some cool bugs, "Go for it."

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Jaco hotels

Bavaro, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2009

We went to Hotel Balcon del Mar to spend one night, than we did six. We moved to the south for a week and we were missing so much the treatment of all the employee, the view, the pool with warm jacuzzi than we decided to change plan and go back for another 6 days!!!! fantastic vacation thank you so much, Cris Mar and Kai

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2009

Hi just spent 2 weeks in balcon del mar apartments.Me and my boyfriend had an amazing time, great view from the apartments could see the beach people were lovely.Rachel and Jason run the pool bar over there Skinners and the food is amazing its exactly what you need to wake up and feel better after the night before not to mention how friendly and welcoming they are feels like your at home.We loved it so much were going back over for new years.We'd definately recommend it to anyone thinking of going over we really dont have a bad word to say about it at all.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alimoson
miami
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2009

After complaining to the manager over the phone about the dump he calls a hotel he told me:

"We don't live off of low lives like you, you are free to leave if you want, but we will not be offering you a refund." (and then proceeded to hang up on me)
_______

I stumbled onto this hotel after arriving to Jaco Beach and what a NIGHTMARE it was.

1. The rooms are way overpriced.
2. The staff is incompotent and DISRESPECTFUL.
3. The hotel is unsafe. Your stuff will get stolen.
4. The hotel has ridiculous policies.

At the front desk they made an error on our registration and informed us later that we owed them money. This would have never happened if the girl at the front desk wasn't busy flirting with my father when we registered.

There are only two computers which you have to wait to use. The bedding and towels feel like sandpaper. The beds are hard. I heard other hotel guests complaining to the front desk about things (sunglasses and cologne) missing from their rooms. My dad came to drop something off for me and they told him that security had to follow him to the room for him to talk to me? Since when aren't you allowed guests in your room? When I complained to the guy at the front desk (Steven) he laughed! After demanding to speak to the manager for about 10 minutes he put him on the phone and thats when I was informed by the manager that I was a low life. Well it didn't appear that way when I was paying in dollars.

They make you wear a bracelet and when my sisters fell off the guy (Steven) at the front desk called her out in front of everyone at the pool. He had absolutely no tact.

I could really go on and on about the horrible experience I had here. I am amazed that an establishment like this exists. I have stayed in many hotels around the world and have never been so disrespected in my life. Talk about the lack of hospitality. I would not recommend this hotel to an enemy. I will be glad when its bulldozed away.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2009

The restaurant staff was friendly and very accomodating. Beautiful outdoor pool and sitting area. Free computer use in the reception area. The rooms aren't anything fancy for what you pay, but the outdoor atmosphere and beach front location is what makes this hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple