Hotel Cocal & Casino
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Hotel Mar de Luz(Jaco)
View Hotel
All reviewsvista marlocal flavorfun placepool siderooms are cleanevery eveningvisiting costa ricajaco beachpoolssecuritypartyingsurf
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 June 2008

We stayed at the hotel cocal y casino for two weeks. The room, dining, pool, beach and great location in relation to the town was absolutely perfect. I think I most looked forward to our complimentary breakfast every morning with the best coffee in the world. We rented a car from a nearby travel agency, but we barely ended up using it because we loved surfing and sun bathing. Highly recommend!!

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2008

Sorry for my English.
We did complicated trip in Costa Rica with kids and teenagers in January 2006. Stayed in Cocal 3-4 days.
Very big room with 4 queen-size beds, small pool, excellent bar, grate beach, breathtaking view. When I red other review I remembered it was construction, no phone, small place e.t.c. But place was so enjoyable that we didn't pay attention to inconvenient and didn't want to leave.
Just watched our pictures 2 years ago... All family agreed: we didn't stay enough days in this hotel. I would recommend it to my friend.

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 January 2008

the hotel was great!! the staff was very helpful. yes it is true that the rooms do not have tvs or phones. but the way i see it, if im going to costa rica why the hell would i want to waist my time in my room. there is so much to do in jaco, dont be afraid to go out and see it all.

Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed 15 January 2007

Small Hotel and Casino. Staff very courteous and cheerful. Right on the beach. Overall clean and comfortable. Not for every traveler. Hotel is dated, but gives a great local flavor. Not a luxurious place, but comfortable. FOOD is great! We even had them to prepare meals with the Mahi Mahi and Tuna we caught while fishing out of los Suenos Marina. I would rather stay here than in a fancy hotel. No TV or hone in room, laundry service available. The construction next door is almost complete and then they will raze part of the quaint hotel and start on Phase 2. Tourism has arrived to Jaco and the area is growing. Too bad.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank ReelTarheel
Reviewed 14 January 2007

We have been to Costa Rica a few times and it has been wonderful each time except for when we stayed at the El Cocal in Jaco. We booked our vacation through Nolitours. This was the second time Nolitours has put us in a hotel with construction in or near the hotel. When we booked we were told we would get a gardenview room with a buffet breakfast. Well, the "gardenview" turned out to be a parking lot view and no buffet breakfast. Just a selection of three or 4 items. I settled for eggs with 1 piece of cold toast and a glass of warm juice every morning. A couple times I ordered a plate of fruit but it wasn't enough to satisfy my appetite. We ended up eating all our other meals in Jaco and the food was great! I told the person at the front desk that we paid for a garden view room but I was told that all Air Transat people were in the parking lot. I would NOT have booked here had I known this. There is a condo being built in the parking lot. Construction starts at 6am every morning. Be ready for a rude awakening every day to hammering and alot of niose. The manager wouldn't even talk to us. They wouldn't do anything to make it up to us. Halfway through the week we ended up paying an extra $30USD per night for an ocean view. This is NOT the place to go for solitude. The beach is nice (big waves) except for the garbage everywhere. There's a big hill at the end of the beach with lots of birdlife. Lots of Toucans and Macaws there. We will NOT be booking through Nolitours again. Two strikes, not going for a third.

Stayed: January 2007