“Good value”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jaco
Hotel Cocal & Casino
Ranked #30 of 44 Hotels in Jaco
Chicago
“Good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2010

Stayed in one of the recently remodeled rooms which was very nice. The beachfront location is perfect and being within a short walk to the grocery store and restaurants is a big plus. Their breakfast could definitely use improvement but for the price who cares. Briefly visited the casino which was small and crowded. Pool area has 2 large pools, but we didn't use them since the Pacific is only steps away. There is a bar by the pool but we hardly went there because there were always at least 2 prostitutes and their female pimp hanging out there. I've stayed at other hotels in Jaco and I know prostitution is common in the town. These women were not discreet and they always seemed to be around. Besides this minor annoyance, the hotel is a good value and has an excellent location.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Monteverde, Costa Rica
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2010

To whom it may cocern:

I am writing about an incident that occured today and 6 months ago while visiting the Hotel Cocal. I am a frequent visitor to Jaco and frequently visit the Hotel Cocal both as a resident and to visit the pool and casino bars.

The first incident occured in January 2010 when I visited the pool bar. The Colombian bartender is a thief. I asked for my "cuenta" and was told it was a certain amount. I paid the amount but was suspicious that it was more than I had ordered. Unfortunately I did not ask for a receipt. I had frequently the pool bar enough to know that the amount greatly exceeded the amount that I had ordered.

Today, July 4th, I was at the bar and had two drinks. I was quoted a price when I had asked for the "cuenta" that exceeded the amount that I had ordered. This time I asked for a receipt and forced her to provide me with the receipt which was 500 colones less than the quoted price. I will admit that 500 colones is not that much money but the question is how many other unsusoecting tourists have been taken by this particular thief. I suspect many.

I am very disappointed in the actions of this occuring at the Hotel Cocal. I plan to write to the many different tourist sites such as Tripadvisor.com, Yahoo.com, hotels.com and make it known that there is a dishonest bartender working at the Hotel Cocal.

James Mitchell, MD

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank supaihiker

Travellers are raving about these Jaco hotels

Escazu, Costa Rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2010

We were in a beachfront room, and we switched after some sizable ants decided to share our bed. The remodeled rooms are VERY nice. The people are all helpful, especially the folks at the front desk, who we nice enough to allow us to switch rooms. The construction could be loud if your room is nearby. A minor warning: watch out for the "2 for 1" happy hour; when we ordered 2 margaritas (in Spanish), our bartender tried to sell us four, justifying it by saying that it's 2 for 1. This was not a language issue - just a bartender who thinks he can take advantage of another gringo who won't object.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2010

We really enjoyed our stay. Hotel is nice and is right on the beach. We ended up at Cocal by luck. We initially thought it would be better to stay outside of Jaco which would be quieter and more relaxing. We ended up spending only 1 night at a hotel in Playa Hermosa where we made reservations for 3 night nights because it was overpriced and rundown. Cocal was just what we wanted and since it's only 1 block to the main street in Jaco, there are plenty of restaurant options outside your door. I believe there are some older rooms around the pool area that don't have TVs, and a newer building which is the one we stayed in. We had a standard hotel room with two beds, TV, safe, etc. Only downside was that our room overlooked the parking lot but it was no big deal. The place is worth it.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Wake Forest, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2010

Very decent place. Clean enough, excellent, friendly staff. Pools, beach, tiki bar at the pool, casino. Friendly locals hanging out at the pool bar at night. Not the finest in the world but in Jaco you just need a clean place to sleep and bath. Who needs to watch tv? Excellent food in the restaurant and they'll cook fish that you catch when you fish with Down East Guide Service.

Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Fla
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2008

Stayed 08/08 - $75/night

PROs:
1. Simple but nice decor on the pool grounds
2. Tiki bar is a fun venue to meet other hotel guests
3. surfing is very good on the beach break with offers right/lefts - just be in the water "before 11am before the winds get on it"
4. Clean but simple rooms (ie. on a par with cheap motel - see below).. AC works well
5. No more than 60 feet before walking on the beach!
6. massage beachside is possible ($60 x 60min)
7. Manta rays frolic in the surf - and swim along side you
8. 2 toucans which will gladly eat marachino cherries from your hand

CONs:
1. No TV !!! Hay caramba... No Phone either
2. bed is rather hard
3. View of beach is nice, but beware of stones/rocks - & avoid the middle part of the beach (ie. water run off from hills empties there).. yuck
4. Jaco as a town is there to be surfed.. but otherwise doesn;t offer a whole lot.

Overall, a 3-STAR hotel (without a TV) with good surfing nearby !!

• Liked — Surfing with the manta rays... feeding the toucans
  • Disliked — the
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2008

Overall clean and comfortable, Not a luxurious place but comfortable, the bed was good, the bathroom clean and nice. staff was very helpful, great location in relation to the town was absolutely perfect,in front of the beach..but the beach was very very bad and dirty!! i was looking for place just to stay!! and was OK for me but not cheap as well. there is no fridge in the room and the city was very very hot. i think it is 2 or 3 stars hotel. the breakfast was very bad !!. the pool is nice and small but clean. the hotel and the location are very safe as well.
because the city not safe..and you are free to do what you like in the hotel, i mean at night!!

i think it is nice place and the location is good. all the people there from USA..was a good choice for me!!

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — clean
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)