“Funky and fun”

Buddha House Boutique Hostel
Ranked #3 of 67 Speciality Lodging in Jaco
Reviewed 3 February 2014

There likely is the best hostel that you are going to find in Jaco. The location is great - close to everything including the beach. The rooms are funky but simple and clean. There is great hang out space for travelers on the grounds and a common kitchen guests can use which is completely spotless. The grounds are completely secure with a gate closed at night time and a security guard.

If we had one complaint it is that we found one of the front desk girls oddly unhelpful, not giving us information that she clearly had. The next day, another one of the employees was much more helpful and produced the information we were looking for whixh was right behind the front desk. Other than that it was a great place to stay in Jaco.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Indigocat12

Reviewed 28 January 2014

This was a very comfortable and attractive place to stay. Incense and scented oils keep the place smelling good, there are plants and flowers all around and the common areas are clean and inviting. I especially enjoyed evening dips in the small pool followed by lying in the hammock under the stars. They lock the front gate at night and give you a key to come and go, so it feels secure to wander In he common areas at night. I booked a dorm room for 4 nights. They overbooked the first night of my stay and gave me a private room. It was excellent, but the dorm rooms are comfortable too. There are lockers for your valuables, so bring a lock. You can use theirs if you don't, but why not be the only one with a key? The kitchen is adequate and clean, there are indoor and outdoor sitting areas, a computer for guest use and common area TV. The staff is great. They don't sell tours, just try to help you find out about what you want to do and make your stay pleasant. One potential drawback is that there is a nearby club that plays loud music until the wee hours. I sleep soundly, so it was not a problem for me.

Room Tip: The private rooms to the left of registration are very spacious and have private patios with hammock...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank micarooni
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Great place! Clean and quiet. Central location is a plus. Mary at the desk went out of her way to help me mail a package home since I left on the weekend. The good vibe extends to the guests, everyone was happy to share stories of where they'd been and where they were going.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Stayed in a double room for 2 nights. A bit pricey ($55/night) but I don't regret paying it. Good staff, great central location in Jaco. The atmosphere here was unique which goes hand in hand with meeting unique people, and we sure did meet some really cool people, and we all went out to the bars together (side note: at one point we ended up at a club where guys drink free... freakin awesome!!) Like others have said, you can hear the club next door till late, but why would you goto Jaco if you dont want to party late??. If you are looking for a place to crash, i'm sure other hostels in Jaco will better suite you. If you are looking for the experience, look no further.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I came to Jaco, Costa Rica to celebrate the New Year. I was staying in Buddha House Hostel. Just next to the main road of Jaco. It's very easy to find. I stay in a private room. It's very clean. Although it's very hot in New Year time, the fan in my room always worked fine and made the room much cooler. There is a pool and few hammocks in the hostel and these are able to make me relaxed. Almost every room has its own patio so you are able to have your own privacy! All receptionists in the hostel are very helpful. Maricela, one of the receptionist, is very helpful because she helps me to find what I need (where to buy the bus ticket, the schedule of the bus). Well, I love this place, I have a wonderful time in Jaco, and I definately will come back to stay here if I visit Jaco again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Over a three month trip in Central America this has been the best place we've stayed. So good that when we arrived in mid-December we immediately booked in for Christmas. It has so much that you wouldn't expect from a hostel and a wide range of rooms for different budgets. Its beautiful, with a well-maintained swimming pool, nice art on the walls and chill out music in the common areas, they have really made an effort to make the place comfortable.
It is a little pricier than the budget hostels we stayed in during our visit to Costa Rica but the quality is so much higher that for us this is no problem at all.
Highly recommended.

NB: Monday night can be loud due to the bar next door but at the time we stayed the price is also lower on Monday night.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I stayed 3 nights at Buddha House and met a great group of people there! It´s in an excellent location, right beside the bars and restaurants and 2 minutes walk from the beach. Yet it feels very calm and safe behind gates that close at night and with security. The staff were really friendly, helpdul and relaxed. The place is nicely decorated with lots of colours, has clean rooms and a chillout area with a little pool, table and chairs and hammocks. It feels like a big house. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo