“Best secure location”

Hotel Mar de Luz
Ranked #4 of 40 Hotels in Jaco
Reviewed 20 September 2008

September 16-20.
Ecellent price range and secure location with 24 hour personnal ready to assist you no matter what time you come in. Price includes a full breakfast and the rooms are excellent with kingsize beds and air condition. The location is central with it´s own secure parking. a block from the cities center and 2 blocks from the beach.
My stay here was pleasant because of the friendly staff that made it feel as if you were at home and all your belongings were secure.
I even had an inceident with a lost security key for my car and 6 staff members helped me look for my key. The owner even offered me to stay in a room until the mechanic arrived from San jose.
I would recommend this hotel to everyone, they even have a sister hotel to the south at Playa Bejucca r something like that and the place is just beautiful along the beach.
I will be back and bring as many people as i can......

Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank HeatIsOnII

Reviewed 21 July 2008

I have stayed in many of the hotels in and around Jaco and this one is officially at the bottom of my list. The customer service is the worst I've experienced in a country where it's nothing to brag about to begin with. The facility itself is fair, though it feels older and, because of that, less 'clean'. The location isn't as appealing as I was lead to believe and the grounds themselves aren't really worth hanging out at if you don't mind walking/taxiing to the beach. In short, for the money, you can do a lot better in and around Jaco. For the same money, you can stay at Tangeri which is, in my opinion, a better property in every way (except the showers were a bit dated as of a year or two ago) AND it's right on the beach. Pochote Grande is also a nice place on the beach in the same price range. For $30 more (off season) I recommend Docelunas which is a mile out of town, but a great, quiet romantic place on lush grounds with a great pool...feels like you're in the rainforest. Just stear clear of Mar De Luz.

Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank LVC2166
Reviewed 25 January 2008

If you click on the link to the pictures of the hotel, I stayed in the first room that's shown (and compared to the other rooms I saw I'd say I got one of the best ones). While in Costa Rica I stayed in three different hotels, this was second best. Very family-friendly, the grounds were beautiful. I really enjoyed the simplicity of the rooms and the people who owned the hotel were very sweet. I wouldn't recommend walking around Jaco at night though. It did seem a little dangerous for tourists.

• Stayed: March 2007
1  Thank rac08
Reviewed 20 January 2008

I went there one year ago. I am sorry I took so long to write a review about it ! I enjoyed the hotel, the staff, the location, the pools, the setting, the vegetation is so beautiful. The room I had was in the oldest part, but it was fine for 1 week stay. The kitchenette is really basic so don't expect to cook youself fancy meals ! It's more like doing camping, but with a bed and with a roof above the head :) We always found something to eat at the grocery store (10 minutes walking) most of the time, but a couple of times we were bored of our kitchenette and went to restaurants. If I ever go back to Costa Rica I will not visit Jaco, it's not worht it and it's too much superficial (PFK, Subway, many american restaurants). However good place for party and surfing! If I would ever go back to Jaco, I would choose another cheap hotel same style but with a restaurant open all day/night long. At Mar de Luz the restaurant was open only for breakfast time.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bandite
Reviewed 28 November 2007

grounds were fine but rooms were beat up, beds uncomfortable

jaco is not a family place, lots of drugs and hookers

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed 16 November 2007

This was a good place to take the kids, it was fairly quiet and with the multiple pools the kids could always find room to swim or hang out. The rooms were very clean, not much room for making your own meals, but htey had a microwave and basic utensils. I would definitely go back!

• Stayed: March 2005, travelled with family
1  Thank FridayTravel
A TripAdvisor Member
Quebec
Reviewed 14 January 2006

We spent a week at the Mar de Luz Hotel. What is striking at first is the lack of light in the room (ground level). It is very dark even with all the lights on. No place to hang things to dry. The kitchen is really really the minimum. For two people, only two forks, two knives, two plates, two glasses, I had to ask for a knife that I could use to cut my vegetables. You have to get water in a pitcher at the frontdesk everytime you want to cook. No hot water in the kitchen you have to go in the bathroom for it. You cook on a small gaz stove (two places). We even had to move the microwave on the refrigerator for more place to work on. So if you are use to camping you won't mind ... otherwise! The pools were rapidly becoming white probably because they were too small for the amount of people. And the last two days of our stay we were worried about getting cockroach because the appart next to us was having some. But the water pressure was really good and lots of hot water. The breakfast was really good (best rice and beans we hate of the whole trip and believe me we hate lots of that! typical meal here). In terms of for doing the grocery it's about a ten minutes walk from the Mas X Menos that has everything you need. That was good. The beach is not that great. Lots of rocks and a little dirty so it's better to walk with your shoes on. We found the "town" not that clean either, you better always watch where you put your feet when you walk.
For us Jaco Beach was a deception and the Hotel well although the backyard was very lovely and we always felt safe we found more little annoying things than anything else. This is only our personal experience!

• Stayed: January 2006