“Absolutely perfect”
Review of Hotel Mar de Luz

Hotel Mar de Luz
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Jaco
Reviewed 18 November 2008

Great hotel, great owner, great time. Key area in Jaco, right near the main strip. You can do virtually any activity from this spot. The owner is a very nice man and the hotel was very warm and well taken care of. Highly recommend this place.

Stayed: November 2008

Reviewed 20 September 2008

September 16-20.
Ecellent price range and secure location with 24 hour personnal ready to assist you no matter what time you come in. Price includes a full breakfast and the rooms are excellent with kingsize beds and air condition. The location is central with it´s own secure parking. a block from the cities center and 2 blocks from the beach.
My stay here was pleasant because of the friendly staff that made it feel as if you were at home and all your belongings were secure.
I even had an inceident with a lost security key for my car and 6 staff members helped me look for my key. The owner even offered me to stay in a room until the mechanic arrived from San jose.
I would recommend this hotel to everyone, they even have a sister hotel to the south at Playa Bejucca r something like that and the place is just beautiful along the beach.
I will be back and bring as many people as i can......

Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank HeatIsOnII
Reviewed 21 July 2008

I have stayed in many of the hotels in and around Jaco and this one is officially at the bottom of my list. The customer service is the worst I've experienced in a country where it's nothing to brag about to begin with. The facility itself is fair, though it feels older and, because of that, less 'clean'. The location isn't as appealing as I was lead to believe and the grounds themselves aren't really worth hanging out at if you don't mind walking/taxiing to the beach. In short, for the money, you can do a lot better in and around Jaco. For the same money, you can stay at Tangeri which is, in my opinion, a better property in every way (except the showers were a bit dated as of a year or two ago) AND it's right on the beach. Pochote Grande is also a nice place on the beach in the same price range. For $30 more (off season) I recommend Docelunas which is a mile out of town, but a great, quiet romantic place on lush grounds with a great pool...feels like you're in the rainforest. Just stear clear of Mar De Luz.

Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank LVC2166
Reviewed 25 January 2008

If you click on the link to the pictures of the hotel, I stayed in the first room that's shown (and compared to the other rooms I saw I'd say I got one of the best ones). While in Costa Rica I stayed in three different hotels, this was second best. Very family-friendly, the grounds were beautiful. I really enjoyed the simplicity of the rooms and the people who owned the hotel were very sweet. I wouldn't recommend walking around Jaco at night though. It did seem a little dangerous for tourists.

• Stayed: March 2007
1  Thank rac08
Reviewed 20 January 2008

I went there one year ago. I am sorry I took so long to write a review about it ! I enjoyed the hotel, the staff, the location, the pools, the setting, the vegetation is so beautiful. The room I had was in the oldest part, but it was fine for 1 week stay. The kitchenette is really basic so don't expect to cook youself fancy meals ! It's more like doing camping, but with a bed and with a roof above the head :) We always found something to eat at the grocery store (10 minutes walking) most of the time, but a couple of times we were bored of our kitchenette and went to restaurants. If I ever go back to Costa Rica I will not visit Jaco, it's not worht it and it's too much superficial (PFK, Subway, many american restaurants). However good place for party and surfing! If I would ever go back to Jaco, I would choose another cheap hotel same style but with a restaurant open all day/night long. At Mar de Luz the restaurant was open only for breakfast time.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bandite
Reviewed 28 November 2007

grounds were fine but rooms were beat up, beds uncomfortable

jaco is not a family place, lots of drugs and hookers

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed 16 November 2007

This was a good place to take the kids, it was fairly quiet and with the multiple pools the kids could always find room to swim or hang out. The rooms were very clean, not much room for making your own meals, but htey had a microwave and basic utensils. I would definitely go back!

• Stayed: March 2005, travelled with family
1  Thank FridayTravel
Travellers also viewed these Jaco hotels
Oceano Boutique Hotel & Gallery
Aparthotel Vista Pacifico
Hotel Ibiza
Hotel Ibiza
#8 of 40 in Jaco

Been to Hotel Mar de Luz? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Hotel Mar de Luz

Address: Mar de Luz street, Av. Pastor Diaz, Jaco, Garabito Municipality, Costa Rica
Region: Costa Rica > Province of Puntarenas > Garabito Municipality > Jaco District > Jaco
Beach Business Centre with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Restaurant Shuttle Bus service Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#4 On the Beach Hotel in Jaco
#5 Romantic Hotel in Jaco
#6 Family Hotel in Jaco
Price Range: £56 - £119 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Hotel Mar de Luz 2.5*
At Hotel Mar de Luz you will find an oasis of peace where you can relax after a day of discovering the many attractions of the area. Only a few steps from the hotel a long, sandy beach allows for many activities and where ocean waves have invited surfers from all over the world. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Mar de Luz reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Mar De Luz Jaco