“Best value Hotel we stayed at”
Review of Hotel Mar de Luz

Hotel Mar de Luz
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in Jaco
Reviewed 16 February 2011

This is a special thank you for Victor our Host and Hotel Owner. He could not have looked after us on our short stay in January 2011 any better than he did. He saw to our every need with consumate ease and geniality.

I would highly recommend this Hotel to any one staying in Costa Rica. Jaco is a very fun place to stay. Victor has another hotel 30 miles south.

Chris Ward, Martin Withey, AlanThompson

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Abbeyphoto

Reviewed 7 February 2011

if you are staying for a short time, this would be the place for its location - few blocks from beach and downtown strip...no frills....locals stay here...lots of kids in the pool. Clean standard rooms and receptionist Carla is very helpful....that made a difference. Thanks Carla!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2011

Of the 10 or so hotels we stayed in during our two-week tour of Costa Rica, Mar de Luz was hands down the worst. Neither my partner nor I slept well for one reason: humid, musty, moldy air. I kept waking up and hoping that morning would come so I that I could start breathing healthy fresh air again!

Other downsides were: an overall low standard of cleanliness (hair and other objects - maybe leaves? - trapped in sink drain, ripped up garbage bags near our room), bugs (I know this is Costa Rica, but we're not talking the odd insect here, there were ants all over the place and other critters buzzing and flying around), rude staff (when we complained about the room and wanted a refund to look for a room elsewhere, a fight ensued!), the fact that they asked us to pay for the room before we even saw it. Breakfast was nothing to write home about but ok.

The room we were in had stone walls, adding to the dungeon/basement feel. The rooms surrounding the pool looked like they may have been newer. I don't know for sure because I didn't see inside any of them, but I suppose from the positive reviews on this site that there must be some adequate accommodation available here. If you do decide to stay here, check the room before you pay, and make sure you don't get the "cave" suite.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank phileasfrogg80
Reviewed 16 January 2011

After a long journey we arrived at the hotel which we both had booked and paid for about six months ago.
Faced with an arrogant hotel receptionist who simply notes that there are no rooms and that nothing is booked in our name. We showed her the receipts, etc for the booking which was totally ignored.
Out of pure greediness they had rented out the rooms to other guests, although we by mail and telephone confirmed that we would be just one day late. After talks with an equally arrogant hotel owner he offered us to spend our nights in a nearby house where the four of us had to sleep on mattresses in the kitchen and this to the same price as four rooms at the hotel. We were totally in the grip of the greedy hotel owner. I have never experienced anything so offensive and inhospitable in my life, even other hotel guests was upset by arrogant behavior of the hotel personal and owner.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank buffy_x9999
Victor-MardeLuz, Owner at Hotel Mar de Luz, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2011

Hi,

It is evident that the guest who wrote this complaint was understandably upset. Whether “greed” was involved remains debatable, particularly when the hotel did not charge the party of 8 people for their first night´s stay.

The writer admits that party was arriving one day later than originally booked but had advised the hotel accordingly. There evidently was an oversight by the hotel´s reservations department; whish sold the accommodations to other guests. The alternative upscale accommodation was apparently not appreciated as a substitute to the original booking.

We could rent a beautiful apartment opposite the hotel. The first night we had arranged two mattresses for the living room (not for the kitchen) the other three nights they got a beautiful junior suite in the hotel. The other three couples had got luxury rooms in the apartment as prescribed above.

Reviewed 2 January 2011

During this holiday-season we stayed at the Mar de Luz hotel in Jaco Costa Rica. Our kids really loved the pools. There are several pools and one off them is a very shallow one so my youngest had a ball ! George, our 10 year old enjoyed the 2 deeper pools and the ping pong tables while our oldest of 16 used to go to the beach which is more or less, just accross the street. My husband and I had a wonderfull 'resting' time because we did not have to worry where our gang was. Either pleasantly sitting near the pools, reading and enjoying the peacefull atmosphere and the friendly staff or having the kids, at night time, do some games at the big table provided in our room we decided that we defenitly had to come back to this 'pearl' among hotels. Even more because if they had a riot in the room we would sit on the balcony chairs overlooking the river or the hotelgrounds and had our peace, just lovely ! On top of that the hotel stuffed us with a BBQ on friday, free of charge ! We stayed at several hotels in Costa Rica during our trip so we have a reasonable idee what there is to offer, therefor: Mar de Luz, THANKS ! ! !
The Dolstra family.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 November 2010

Never found a hotel set up with all the amenities and more for this kind of price. King size bed, TV, Fridge, Hairdryer, Micro Wave, Coffee Machine, Aico, Oysterizer, glasses, coffeecups, dishes, knives, spoons, forks, phone, internet, big shower, hangin closet, lay closet, big sitting area with couch, table, big chair, sink with counter and mirrow, dressing mirrow, a porch with a table and 2 chairs, a hat rack, 3 pools, 2 barbeque areas, trampoline, Tv with TV5 Monde, BVN, DW, RAI, CNN, discovery, animal, Latin, Italien, German, Dutch, English French Football ( soccer ) channals. Boy what else did I miss ? The only thing is that its not right ON the beach but a 300 yards / meters away but therefore its quiet and you're not burdened by the 'party' noises that do go on close to the beach. A staff that is willing to do everything for you, doesn't matter what, ask them and they comply ! On top off that: I had a car accident ( minor ) and the Costa Rican governement did not want to let me go out off the country. The manager or owner ( I'm not sure, but he is a dutchman ) helped me with that, went to the lawyer and proscecutor with me, arranged everting for me and even vouched for me so in 3 days I was permitted to Leave !! Ever heard of some hotel go to all that trouble for a guest ? I sure didn't ! All I can say is: " Don't miss this hotel ! "

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Jaco has few redeeming qualities but the Mar de Luz is definitely one of them. It is marketed as a place good for families ("No drugs or prostitution") and this makes it a very peaceful refuge from the rest of Jaco craziness, and also good for couples. So if you are into the party scene, this hotel is not for you, but if you want a more peaceful and relaxing atmosphere, it is great. The owner and management are very friendly and helpful. The location is quiet yet centrally located. So if you find yourself in Jaco, I would recommend this place above all others.
Note: I was in Jaco to catch the boat over to Montezuma and planned for just one night, but a serious storm hit and it poured for 6 days non-stop. So I got stuck in Jaco for a week but I really enjoyed my stay at Mar de Luz and made the best of it.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo