“Average Hotel in a subpar city.”

Copacabana Hotel & Suites
Ranked #22 of 40 Hotels in Jaco
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Check to see when the rainy season is. October is still the rainy season! We saw a lot of rain!

Random thoughts post... try to keep up!

I went to Costa Rica for a romantic getaway with a significant other. We stayed at the Copacabana for 4 days with the all inclusive package. What I wanted and expected, is not what I got at this resort. The rooms were adequate. We were immediately upgraded upon check-in due to our room overlooking construction. (There seemed to be a lot of construction going on.) Our upgraded room had a hot tub on the balcony that could be privacy glassed off and a kitchenette. Mirrored ceiling over the bed! Cable with a few english speaking stations. Allow THREE HOURS to get to or from the San Jose Airport. Also, watch your speed. I am in the process of fighting a camera speed ticket. It's expensive and its going to be an ugly fight.

Pros:
The all inclusive food and drink option were great. If you do go all inclusive... don't even think about eating away from the hotel! The food was really quite excellent and the all you can drink option were awesome. Local beer (Pilsen and Imperial) Liquor I didn't do anything fancy, but rum and coke and whatnot were good options. There are two pools at this hotel. One (the big main pool) is topless optional for the ladies. The second pool is on the nude side. There was a hot tub in the nude side. The beach beds around both pools were awesome! Nice lounge chairs around both pools. There was a swim up bar in the prude pool. Feel free to express yourself in the nude area. Anything goes over there. There was live entertainment in the evening for everynight we were there i believe. Some were better than others. Mostly good though! You are walking distance to the central business district with all the t-shirt crap stores you can handle.

Cons:
Minor maintenance issues in the room. We had to move rooms due to the air conditioner breaking after a few nights there. A few outlets not working (U.S. Plugs by the way! No adapter necessary!) The bed was below average. The pillows were pretty hard. The hot water for the shower was very difficult to control. There was no set it and forget it. It was very random, scalding hot to ice cold in a matter of seconds! I wish this place would just commit and go to a fully clothing optional or full nude resort. It was annoying to get dressed to get a beer or snack then go back to the nude side. One poster spoke of the tennis court netting against the fence. That is true. That is all it is. You can see through it if you concentrate. With a lot of construction foot traffic past the fence it was not a pleasant place to be nude. I felt a bit of leering was ongoing for our entire stay. The fact that we were usually there by ourselves didn't help either. This place may be okay when it's filled up or has a takeover week. Pro/Con: There were some iguanas that liked to hang out on the pool deck as well. This was neat at first but now I had to watch out for iguana poop that seemed to be dotting the pool deck. The hot tub was cold when we first checked in and I had to chase down management and complain for 2 days till it was finally turned up. The beach beds around both pools were nice, however, with all the rain that occurred everyday the water resistant mattresses were water logged. New sheets were laid down but within 3 minutes the sheets were soaked through. The beach at Jaco. Well it didn't appear to be the cleanest. The hotel is on the beach and you can walk there but there was a fair amount of trash directly in front of the hotel. If the hotel management and employees would take a bit of time and pick up the big stuff out front it would make a world of difference. We spent a total of 30 minutes on the beach at Jaco for our entire stay.

Overall:
We seemed to have a bit of bad luck here with ongoing construction and random maintenance issues in the room. We were compensated with a couples massage. Mine was below average. The girl enjoyed hers. I enjoyed Costa Rica. I was hoping for a little more fun on our Nakation portion of the vacation.

Additionally We've only been to one other nude resort (in Palm Desert, CA) but plenty of nude beaches. Unless there was an awesome group takeover, we don't intend on going back.

Room Tip: There is only one room in the Nude side. I am not sure of the rate. Beachfront rooms were loud wit...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eightball77

Reviewed 24 September 2011

Very nice hotel and wifi works in the rooms, a rarity in Jaco.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Staying at the Copacabana has been nothing short of enjoyable. The owner, manager and staff make sure you are treated with dignity and respect. The food is not typical of that coming from a 3rd world country and I commend the kitchen staff for their excellence. If you plan to come here the all-inclusive is a must. Good shopping and nightlife with everything within walking distance. Thanks for the good times Copacabana!

George
gandcfamilytravel.com

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 17 July 2011

The Copacabana should be considered by any couple looking for a resort to take the place of H3. We went to H3 several times before it closed last year, and I think this may be the best substitute. In fact, there are many things that the Copacabana has that give it the potential to be a better place than Hedo. The food is considerably better, and the town of Jaco has some great bars, offering a nightlife alternative when there isn’t anything going on in the resort or you are just looking for something different.

The service at the resort is top notch. Everyone we talked to was friendly, attentive, and quick to get you whatever you needed. Even when they ran out of items that one would think would be in stock (white wine, water, sodas), the bartenders were quick to get a hold of the item you requested and get you what you wanted within a few minutes.

Annie gives fantastic massages, and is highly recommended. In our seven-day stay, the resort gave us each two free 30-minute massages. We also each booked a 60-minute massage with her.

Another thing that separates this resort from many others is an ex-pat manager named David. At Copacabana, there is a huge emphasis on making the guests happy, and from what I can deduce, this is David’s main job. He is a great guy and can get you anything that you need. Having an American at the resort that you can openly talk to and trust goes a long way in my book.

The resort bills itself out as a 3-star resort. From our experience, international beach resorts tend to inflate their status (most “4-star” international beach resorts are more like what an American would consider to be a 3-star establishment). However, I would consider Copacabana to be a solid 3-star resort by American standards. The shower isn’t anything special, the bed linens aren’t high quality, but the rooms are otherwise decent. We got one of the Jacuzzi suites, which was spacious and nice. We had hot water the whole time, which is something else that H3 was never able to provide. Having a fridge in the room is also a nice touch. It’s not completely “stocked” with anything more than a few beers, a few bottles of water, and a few sodas (and may take a more than one request to get it refilled), but it is something that we utilized more than we thought we would.

We heard some couples complain about the prostitutes that frequent the resort. To me, this is silly. First of all, the girls keep to themselves unless you invite them over or initiate a conversation with them. This is much preferable to the prostitutes at Hedo, who would aggressively accost you, “I suck you c*ck, lick your wife’s p#ssy, $50.” This coming from women that I wouldn’t let bathe my dog, let alone consider being intimate with. At Copacabana, many of the working girls are quite cute, especially the ones that show up in the early evening. It’s not for everyone, but it certainly doesn’t negatively affect your ability to have a good time.

The biggest think the resort is lacking is the people. Couples from all over the U.S. come to the Hedo resorts looking for a party, and the resorts do a nice job of making that happen. At Copacabana, the infrastructure is all there. Another hot tub (maybe a larger one) would be nice, but they really don’t need to change a whole lot. All the resort really needs is heavy dose of marketing to get there name out and be thought in the same light with the crowds looking at the Hedo and Desire resorts. We had to diligently search the internet to even find this place. I suspect most couples don’t want to put in as much effort. It’s too bad, too, because if the old H3 crowd were to discover this place and come ready to party, this place could really take off.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank ralphdavis
Reviewed 20 March 2011

My second year staying here. If you're looking for a quiet getaway, this isn't it.

Karaoke, Mouse in the Toaster; and we missed open mic by one night.

My AC kind of fell apart the day after I got there; and 20 minutes after I informed them of the problem they upgraded me to a better room at no charge. Great staff here. Fun, friendly. They know how to run this hotel. Good food.

I think I'll see Jaco again. I'm staying here.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank flailboy
Reviewed 15 March 2011

If you want a relaxing vacation with no problems, then you really need to go to the Copa. We stayed for 7 nights and 8 days and did not want to leave. The staff are the friendliest and most professional I have ever met. Everything we needed was at the hotel and there was no reason to go anywhere, except to sight see. The food is some of the best tasting dishes in the world. The chef here is magnificent.
The hotel is charming and rustic, with just a touch of elegance. It is situated ocean front, with great views. The dining area is open air with a view of the ocean and makes for a perfectly romantic dining experience.
If you don't enjoy your stay here, you can't possibly be happy anywhere.
To all the staff at the Copa; Ginger, Edgar, Fernando, Pablo, David, Myrna, Katia, and Briana, as well as the owner John, Thank you for everything you did to make Jeannette's and my stay simply perfect. And I would be sorely remiss if I forgot this, hey Santo, Thanks for letting me borrow your board, maybe next year I won't face plant on the bottom.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RMauldin
Reviewed 15 February 2011

A beautiful adult hotel right on the beach and a block from downtown Jaco and the Beatle Bar. The hotel is very clean, the restaurant has great food, the pool has a bar and I had a great relaxing stay. The staff were all very friendly. There is a nude section outside in the back with a smaller pool and jacuzzi. They had bands at night, a party or two and all inclusive packages are available including food and liquor. As I love the restaurants I did not take the food package, but I ate a few times and it was great.
They have several ocean view rooms, including a few with private jacuzzis on the balcany.
What could be better than that!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple