“This place is a dump!”

Ranked #21 of 41 Hotels in Jaco
Phoenix, Arizona
“This place is a dump!”
Reviewed 2 June 2010

This is a bug invested, under capitalized hotel that takes advantage of adult travelers. The food was surprisingly good, but everything else was terrible. Bugs, did I say bugs in the rooms? Everything about the rooms was bad. Hookers everywhere. Transients everywhere. This place is terrible.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nickphoenix11
john0123, Manager at Copacabana Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 16 July 2010
After a careful review of our records of the guests that stayed with us,we had no Nick,nor anyone from Phoenix,Arizona that stayed with us.Every month I stay in different rooms in the hotel and do a complete room inspection.We have no bugs in the rooms.Only if the guests leave their doors open then bugs will fly in,especially at night since they are attracted to the lights.We do have transients(visitors) that come to use our front restaurant and listen to our entertainment in the front bar with groups like the Wetbacks,Mouse in the toaster etc.Our adult guests love our parties.We believe our food is the best in Jaco.I have no idea of what was disliked about our rooms,nor the comment that we take advantage of adult travelers,nor the comment of being under capitalized.Hookers are all over Jaco,in the bars,restaurants,casino's,hotels etc.We are a beach front hotel that caters to an adult only open minded ambiance.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 May 2010

This was my favorite hotel in my entire month long stay in Costa Rica. As far as the adults only part goes, We found it refreshing that we could enjoy ourselves without hearing a bunch of screaming kids. The hotel was safe, and the staff was friendly. While you are there be sure to book a fishing trip with Julian. You will have the time of your life,. Guaranteed!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
new smyrna beach, FL
Reviewed 16 May 2010

I just returned from Jaco thursday May 13th and had an email from trip advisor on vacation specials, so thought I would check out what people were saying about the hotel. The first review I saw was the one "hookers and drug dealers on every corner" I almost started laughing because these people were from Atlanta and think Jaco is worse,,,, interesting. I have been going to the Copacabana for at least 10 years now and return because I really like the place. I have gotten to know the staff from the manager to the maids, they are like family to me. The comment about a drug dealer hanging around the hotel I have a very hard time believing because they do not tolerate them there. In fact I have seen the staff on two occasions run them off if they ventured up there. You might run into them up the street, but they know to stay away from the hotel. There are definitely working girls that come around, but they also are not allowed to moleste the guest, and if they do, they are no longer welcome there. The hotel also takes the girls I.D. should someone decide they would ike their company, insuring that there will be no problems with the girls. I think they do a great job of monotoring everything to insure the guest are safe, and of course happy. The Copacabana is a fun, party type enviroment and most certainly not for everyone, we all have different taste. But for me,, I would not go anywhere else. They have live music three nights a week, and the bands are very talented and entertaining. I especially like the proximity to the beach and town, you can simple walk out the door to surf, or take a right and head into the town,,, all only a stones throw away. If you are someone looking for a quiet get away,,, the Copa is probably not the place you are looking for. But if you are a social person and like to have fun, meet some great people etc, then give it a chance, you might just find it to be one of the coolest places you will ever stay.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank FLTICO
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 21 April 2010

If you are single, young, looking for fun, the Copacabana is the place for you. I stayed for a week in Jaco with friends, we are all in our 20's and needed to get away. Jaco is a wonderful surfing destination and the Copa is right on the beach (literally 50 feet away from sand) The staff was friendly and partied with us!! The copa is for people looking to party and have fun, late nights are kind of a requirement. Live music and fantastic food also complament the hotel. Just a note for families and tourists, I would not reccomend staying at the copa with kids. The copa is really for adults looking for fun. People who are care free and just looking to experience Jaco. If you are a tourist with a family, stay at one of those all inclusive deals like the Marriot. If you have a sence of adventure and can handle a more adult oriented atmosphere then stay at the Copacabana for sure.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank zafarago
winfield
Reviewed 14 April 2010

This hotel provided great food, great service and great entertainment. I enjoyed my stay here and will definitely comeback.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Salida, CA
Reviewed 8 April 2010

We had a wonderful/great time at Copacabana!! Our only regret of our vacation was we did not stay at Copacabana. We stayed at a nearby hotel. We visited Copa to attend the "Copacabana Day" party. We were welcomed right away by everyone there. I discovered I shared the owner's (John)birthday. He was wonderful and shared the festivities w/me. Claudia (manager) was also very generous and offered a spa at a discounted rate the next day (Claudia, I got my colones mixed up and I thought I tipped the girl more than I did...did not realize until later, sorry). Very fun people and welcoming.
With having the spa, I was able to see the rooms/accomodations. Everything was nice and clean. Pool area was very beautiful. In addition, the food was wonderful!!! Mahi Mahi w/sauteed schrimp and mushrooms, yum!
I noticed earlier comments about prostitutes. With my husband and I, we were not approached and it was not an issue. I had concerns about it, but after visiting Copas on a couple different days, it was not a problem.

Overall, the place was very nice. Service was great, people are friendly and location is ideal. If we return to Jaco, we will definitely stay at Copa.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
ontario
Reviewed 10 March 2010

I checked into a room that was clean and well equipped with safe,microwave,fridge,tv,remote a/c control right off the main pool with the swim up bar.wile hanging out at the pools I met people from over the world.I found it funny how similar our lifestyles given all the different countries we came from.The food, excellent and they,d bring it anywhere,pool,hotub,bar,beach,your room great staff.If your looking for peace quite and tranquillity the Copa is not the place for you.At 9 the band starts on the beach patio. The Copacabana is the only place in town or on the beach with live music and it draws quit a crowd and it,s not the same band every night.A good time is had by all.Like I said, I had to leave but wanted to stay.I,ll be back.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo