“Find somewhere else.”

Jaco Laguna Resort & Beach Club
Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Jaco
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We just returned from our 7th trip to Costa Rica, and we have stayed all over the country in accomodations of all kinds and in all price categories. This place sounded very nice from the many raving TA reviews, and so we reserved four nights in a second floor room. We weren't sure of the meaning of "resort" in its name, but we were bound to find out, and found it to be meaningless.
We found the pool and beach area to be just adequate - there were no umbrellas to screen the sun; no chairs to sit on if lounges did not suit ones back; little, if any, shade; nothing to sit on but sand on the beach -- but a large public beach.
Food was available in the restaurant or in the bar area (which had tables and chairs). The menu never changed, and the items on the menu were heavy and mostly unappealing for people like us, who like an occasional sandwich (unavailable) for lunch or a continental breakfast (unavailable). At no fault of the overworked and grossly understaffed pleasant young lady servers, the food and drink service was terribly inneficient and very slow. Patience and fortitude was a necessity at meal time, and there is no nearby restaurant for relief. The food itself was sometimes edible, but never worth the raves I see in some TA reviews
Now for the rooms: I think the architect must have had a few too many, when the building housinhg the rooms was designed. It was done totally backwards, resulting in the most fatal flaw of them all. Our room (and I assume that they are all fundementally the same) was long and narrow, with its one window (overlooking the parking lot) at the rear end, behind the bed. At the other end of the room was the door. So looking from the bed you see the dark room and the bathroom wall and the front door. Open the front door, and you can see the pool and ocean across the open-air hallway, which provides access to the rooms. No view! None! Our room was stark, no color, no pictures on the wall, no charm. It was long so it offered a couch, but only one chair for the desk. Why the door and access hallway wasn't in the back, and the window (could have been a sliding window/veranda affair) looking out towards the ocean and pool, in the front, I will never know.
All in all it is a place to stay only if one is desperate. Too bad.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank dumadog

Reviewed 18 January 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed for a week in November 2013 for her birthday. We arrived a day late due to our flight issues. The 2am staff was very accommodating and there was nothing but high level professionalism and warm friendly service from everyone our entire stay there. The service level might be a notch higher than the Ritz hotels. The ocean was one step from the back of the resort. Anytime we had questions about tours or local activities or the best deals in town, our answers came with a smile. The tiki bar was a very cool hangout on property. The property is very safe and we had no worries while we were there. They even had a landline for us U.S. travelers to call back home for free, if needed. We will definitely stay there again soon.

Room Tip: All rooms were great, we changed rooms once due to our 2am arrival and both were exceptional. There...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2014

If your looking for a relaxing get away and experiencing Costa Rica's PURA VIDA at a reasonable price, this is definitely the way to go. Good food Good prices!!The entire staff is welcoming and willing to help. From Judith in reception henry, rosie, angie, and rebecca. The beach is steps away and a plethora of excursions to choose from. i would definitely come back

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I recently took my 1st trip to Costa Rica for a family wedding. The resort was not picked by me but by the bride and groom. Honestly, I have nothing to compare it to so my opinion is based more on other resorts that I have stayed at in the past.

First of all, this is a small resort. I saw a mention in another review that this was an abandoned hotel that was reopened. I can believe that because we did see several other resorts along the beach that were closed and for sale. The staff told us that the hotel had been open for about a year. Overall, the staff was friendly, courteous, and spoke passable English. There were a few staff members that didn't speak good English but they would usually go and get another staff member to help them.

The rooms are not resort quality but they are nice. The bed was very comfortable and we were surprised that they actually had a few English speaking channels on the TV. We did have one day where the rooms were not cleaned. This was on a Monday and I think that a lot to the locals don't work on Mondays. I did find it surprising that a beach front resort didn't have any rooms with windows facing the beach. You read that right, none of the rooms have big windows that face the ocean. They overlook the parking lot.

The Tiki bar was a lot of fun and the bartender was very personable. Our 1st night there the power went out to the area. The bartender kept serving drinks and told us, "It's not my fault, it's not the resorts fault, it's Costa Rica's fault!" We sat in the dark, drank, and talked and were disappointed when the power did come back on. During the day, all you had to do was walk to the Tiki bar and tell the bartender what you wanted to eat or drink. If you ordered food, it was brought to you at the pool.

As far as the pool goes, it was very clean. The staff could be seen every morning taking care of the pool and the surrounding area. It is a small pool and as you can see in the pictures, has an area that appears to be a hot tub. It isn't. It's just a small area of the pool with some seats in it. A bit odd but it did give you a bit of privacy.

The restaurant was pretty good except for breakfast. We ordered the continental breakfast every morning with a side of bacon. The fruit was fresh, the toast was hot, and the eggs weren't bad. The bacon, on the other hand, was truly a mystery meat. It tasted like bacon but didn't look like bacon. It was also cooked more European style and was not crispy. Lunch and supper were a different story. The food was good and it was served quickly. I had the Shrimp Risotto one night and was amazed at how many shrimp were in the dish.

Now the bad.

On our 1st night there the battery in our smoke detector died. It was never replaced the entire trip in-spite of us telling the staff several times. Also, there is no staff on site at night other than the security guards. Sometime between 10 and 11pm they all go home. If you want a drink by the pool or a late night snack, you are out of luck unless you brought it with you.

There are not hairdryers or irons in every room. If you ask, the staff will find you one but just don't assume that there will be one in the room when you check in. That was a minor inconvenience but it has been a long time since I had to go to the front desk and ask for an iron.

The wifi is very spotty. They don't have wifi that covers the entire resort and use repeaters. You have to connect to the source closest to you depending on where you are. There seemed to be some times during the day where the wifi didn't work at all. Also, for some reason, my phone would not get a signal in the room but my iPad would. I could literally open the door and step out of the room and my phone would lock onto a signal.

Why would I stay there again? The place has a certain charm that I found very appealing. The staff was friendly and courteous, the grounds were very clean, and the views were amazing. If, and when, I go back to Costa Rica, I would look for other resorts just to see what is out there but I would not have any problems staying there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank itchy0ne
Reviewed 16 January 2014

You hear the surf all day and all night. I love that sound it is so soothing and almost hypnotic. This is a small boutique hotel right on the beach at the south end of Jaco Beach. The food is good and very reasonably priced. So is the alcohol. You can surf or swim or just walk the two miles or so of black sand all the way to the north end.
The staff are very friendly and helpful. The service is faster than in other resorts we visited in Costa Rica.
We would stay here agin if the opportunity arises ..

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Diane S
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We loved our stay at the Jaco Laguna Resort. We were there just before peak season (min Nov) and it was very quiet. I never once say anyone use the pool area let alone be IN the pool.
The room was very basic and clean and we loved how convenient it was to the beach and restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Jaco Laguna is right on the beach and the pool area is very small but nice. The staff are very efficient and helpful. The rooms, however, are like rectangular cells and lack any real personality. They are kept clean and if you're not concerned about luxury they
serve their purpose. The included breakfast is marginal but good. Overall, I would say that they charge a bit too much for what you get but it is a pleasant no frills place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Craig S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaco
Hotel Pumilio
Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
Hotel Villa Creole
Hotel Villa Creole
#12 of 40 in Jaco

Been to Jaco Laguna Resort & Beach Club? Share your experiences!