“Great Place”

Ranked #13 of 41 Hotels in Jaco
Miami, Florida
“Great Place”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Just enough off the beaten path of the Jaco malecon to enjoy a really peaceful setting, then 5 minutes to the town for food and nightlife! The hotel is really clean, the staff is amazing, friendly, helpful and you see them busy all day working to make your stay enjoyable. Fantastic location to learn surfing, just walk out your room, grab a board, take a lesson! Good enough waves for the experienced surfer as well. We are going to make this place and annual trip we liked it so much! Go there if you plan to stay in Jaco!

Room Tip: Get one on the 3rd floor with a direct ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank TateMiami

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Slovak first
solebury pa
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Just got back from a week in Jaco Beach and stayed at this Jaco Laguna again. This place is such a fun destination. All staff members are happy and smiley and go out of their way to help you with all your needs. The food was as good as always and the mattresses are more comfortable than the ones I have at home. Before I found this place I stayed at other hotels in Costa Rica and the mattresses were hard and uncomfortable. The jaco Laguna is the exception. I spoke to a manager and he said all the furnishings in the hotel were imported from the states. I will keep coming back here as I am retired and this resort is the most enjoyable place I have found so far. The Tiki bar is absolutely amazing right on the beach.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 19 and loved it. 3rd floor in the North corner.
2 Thank jerrysolebury
Seneca Falls, New York
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Spent 3 nights here in mid May. The staff was pleasant and the food was very good and reasonably priced. On the ocean, with surfing lessons and a private pool. A very good time to travel, as we almost had the place to ourselves. Can walk the beach to town or a short car ride. Only con for me was the front desk person seemed to need a little more hospitality. All in all, a pleasant stay at a fair price.

Room Tip: First floor is excellent as there are no elevators.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Debrajeanjean
Plainview, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014

spent five days at this nice place and felt very much at home. Staff always smiled and took care of everything I needed while there. they set up the tours for myself and my family. The rooms were very spacious and clean. I liked the location of the resort and the Tiki bar directly in front of the beach was very special. Food was good too. I will return here for sure.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Grace P
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We booked our hotels about 10 months in advance for our honeymoon directly with the hotel, and this was the last place we were staying for one night because we wanted to get closer to the airport.

When we arrived to Jaco, we kept riding down the streets to find this place. Their website suggests to ask a local tico for directions - so we did, they did not know of this place or just did not want to help us. So we kept driving around until we finally found it. They should put coordinates on their website.

When we arrrived we had to wait for the receptionist to get off a 5-10 minute phone call. She did not have my name with a reservation, yet I had paid 10 months prior. She asked me how much I paid, and put us in the smallest rooms on entrance side of the property. You could hardly move with 2 people in there. I went back up to the receptionist to ask her if she ever found my reservation, because I had reserved a two bed room. She stated that it was never found and said the price I paid should be for the little room. I argued with her for a bit and said that the prices changed shortly after I booked, I remember seeing the change and seeing that when I booked they included breakfast, but that they would not include it when we stayed. After arguing for a little bit, she finally agreed to put us in the 2 bed room, which was on the ocean side of the property, much better. After getting in our room, we left and went to walk around Jaco and have dinner. We wanted really nothing to do with that property anymore.

I do not get whoever designed this hotel. I think it is great that there is a nice pool and bar area that faces the beach and you have beach access away from the main strip. The hotel rooms itself are questionable. They put the door on the ocean side, and instead of putting a window directly right of the door, they put the bathroom, so there are no room with an ocean view, the window is on the other side, so you get a view of the parking lot.

The other thing is to note that they are a stickler to their times at reception, unlike our other hotels who were accommodating to when we wanted to eat, checkout, etc.

Service there is highly lacking from the start of our experience to the end, and we saw several workers just sitting around. Would not stay here again.

7 Thank Megan T
Denton, Texas
Reviewed 22 May 2014

The other reviews are just as they say. The staff is more friendly the longer you stay. The young women at the desk were nice. The major concern for my wife and I (in our 60's) was the continuous bass drum sound played on the outside music speakers. Last Saturday, a disc jockey showed up and played very loud music for about 4 hours. If you stayed in your room, you still heard the continuous blast.
We left and walked on the beach till we found a bar/restaurant for quieter times. We talked to several ex-pats and they said they don't go there because of the noise. We did not use the Tike bar after our 1st day because of the noise. It is a beautiful place and the staff is good, but we do not like the Miami sound.

Room Tip: 20-30 walk on the beach to town.
2 Thank Jay S
Jason G, Owner at Jaco Laguna Resort & Beach Club, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
We appreciate you choosing the Jaco Laguna for your accommodations and thank you for your positive praise about our staff! In regards to the DJ, please note that the music is not a normal pool-side activity at the hotel anymore. After talking with several guests, we stopped that several months ago to provide our patrons with a more quiet experience. Last Saturday was a special local event/competition that we were supporting and sponsoring at local Playa Hermosa. We strive to continue to provide our guests with the best experience possible and appreciate your honest feedback. Thank you and we hope that you come to stay with us again soon.
Warren, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This small and very reasonable hotel is located at the nicest southern end of Jaco Beach. That makes it feel a bit more remote and quiet because it's close to town without being in the middle of it. The staff is very friendly and while I've seen some comments about service not begin fast I thought it was fine. The hotel was recently completely refurbished so the rooms, pool and grounds are all very clean.

There is a great little outdoor Tiki Bar right next to the pool and looking out at the beach. A terrific place to grab drinks during the day or while watching the sunsets in the evening. The food in the restaurant was good and probably as good as it gets in Jaco. You can get surfing lessons right there at the hotel if you like. In shore fishing is great and the staff can help you arrange that. You are assured of having an active day catching a lot of fish. Or take a short ride for an exciting zip line adventure. Or just hang by the pool or out on the beach behind the hotel.

1 Thank Charlie C