“We had a great time and did learn to surf a stand-up paddle board!!!”

Vista Guapa Surf Camp
Ranked #4 of 29 Jaco B&B and Inns
“We had a great time and did learn to surf a stand-up paddle board!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

Very good experience had lots of fun. The staff at Vista Guapa was fabulous !!!!! They were very accommodating and helpful. The rooms were clean and spacious. The linens could use updating

• Stayed December 2011

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Haiku, Maui Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2011

Vista Guapa means "Beautiful View." Well, there's a lot more to the resort than its amazing view. The heart and soul of the resort are Wendy and Alvaro Solano. When you go to Costa Rica, you will soon hear the words "Pura Vida!" That basically translates to "All that is good about life!" Wendy and Alvaro are "Pura Vida!" I attended world famous Waterman Dave Kalama's Stand Up Paddling "Kalama Kamp" in April. Our home base was the Surf Camp. From the moment you arrive, you feel at home. The cabanas are very comfortable and have absolutely amazing views. The sunsets are beyond my ability to describe! The staff is welcoming and truly enjoy making your stay special. The surfing is epic! Alvaro is a very well known Pro Surfer in Costa Rica and is the "go to guy" when you surf here. Alvaro has spent a life time surfing the breaks here, and trust me, Alvaro knows where to take you to make your experience amazing. Regardless of your skill level, you will enhance your surf skill with Alvaro's guidance. Dave Kalama can select any resort he wants to host his surf "Kamp." He chose Vista Guapa. So should you. It will be a life altering experience. Trust me, when you stay here, you will forever and always feel the stoke of "Pura Vida!" I'm going again next year. Aloha from Maui!

Tampico, Tamaulipas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2011

this is a great place to stay if you want to score good waves in costa rica
the staff is always ready to help but they give you enough space to feel at home
the gardens at the hotel are really nice with mango trees allover the place !

see you next year alvaro and wendy ! muchas gracias !

Maine, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

Just got back from a week at Vista Guapa. I went with a SUP group but really enjoyed the spot and plan on returning.
The 3 cottages, with two rooms each, are really nice up on a ridge, the breezes and views are worth the steep walk up the hill. Nice, clean rooms, good on-demand hot water, a/c, fridge and a great afternoon napping hammock out front. I saw a pair of Red Macaws fly by below me three mornings I was there. A nice pool down at the base level also. Really well landscaped all around, we were eating Mangos right off the trees by the pool.
Best surfing was early every morning. Alvaro definately knows the area and he'll be psyched to get to the best place every day. Jaco is good for learning but he knows spots for better intermediate waves also and will get you where you should be. He has got lots of SUP gear now, Thanks YOLO!, and a good selection of longboards.
The breakfast was the only meal they made but it was the most memorable food I had all week. You order from a simple menu every morning anytime from 8-10? Some couples I saw would meet back up at breakfast between the advance surfing session in the AM and Alvaro teaching a surf lesson at mid-day. They brought us to different places every night for dinner, always good food.

Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2011

This was a wonderful place to learn to surf. The staff is so friendly and helpful. Their surf programs are reasonably priced and the instructors were great.

The accommodations are not luxurious, but they are clean and peaceful. Also, there was a/c, which is a must in this area. There is a bit of a walk up to the rooms. The breakfast was included in my program, and that was also wonderful. I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank girltravelingforfun
St. Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2011

We spent 4 nights with 3 days of surfing with Vista Guapa, originally we had a 3 night package, but we enjoyed it so much we added another night. The staff and instructors were such wonderful people that there is no way we would not return again soon. We are first time surfers and they had us standing up in the waves on our first try. The camp grounds and bungalos we stayed in were beautiful and the meals were perfect! Can't wait to get back ASAP, for an entire week stay!

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2011

I've stayed at many all-inclusive resorts. None have given me the kind of "Welcome Home!" feeling that Vista Guapa does. After the scenic hour-long drive from San Jose to Jacó, Alavaro pulled up to the cozy lodge I affectionately call base camp. The high ceilings and wide-open windows let all the beautiful Pura Vida air and sunlight in. The camp dogs lay around on the porch, reminding you that despite the surfing to come, you are encouraged to relax. There's a crystal clear pool steps away, with trees offering some shade from the Costa Rican sun. And the small yoga deck stands tall like a life guard stand over the pool.

I was surprised at how large the room was. There may be two yoga decks plus the porch outside my cabin, by I could easily practice in my room without every touching the furniture. I was happy to find a coffee maker stocked with Cafe Britt on top of a mini-fridge stocked with water. And the A/C made the room a welcoming retreat for afternoon siestas. On the porch, hammocks and easy chairs made watching the sunrise over the mountains or sunset over the ocean feel like I was living inside a painting.

Meals were so much fun. Breakfast is made to order at the camp. I'm a huge fan of the local gallo pinto (rice and beans) and blackberry pancakes, but they also offer eggs, etc. The meals come with a generous fruit plate, a delicious fruit smoothie drink, and plenty of coffee. Dinners are at local restaurants. El Rey Marino is my favorite. Their plantain chips with black bean dip are amazing.

The reason you are probably at Vista Guapa is for the surfing. As a complete newbie trying to overcome my fear of water, Alvaro had his work cut out for him. We started with a lesson on dry land. He was very patient with me, quickly building my confidence and trust. When I began to panic as I stepped into the ocean, he calmed my nerves and reminded me he wouldn't let me drown. Once out on the ocean, he gave me time to relax before picking the perfect first wave for me. With his guidance, I got up on my first wave and rode it all the way to shore! Over the rest of the week, Alvaro and his patient and professional team of surf instructors worked with me to not just overcome my fear of water, but to kick its butt!

This may not be what I like least, but it's a fair warning to others. The cabins are uphill. I think it's great exercise for the legs. But don't worry if you're too exhausted after surfing or it's too dark after dinner. They'll give you a ride up!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo