“Great Place, Great People”

Vista Guapa Surf Camp
Ranked #4 of 29 Jaco B&B and Inns
Denver
“Great Place, Great People”
Reviewed 8 March 2011

This was a wonderful place to learn to surf. The staff is so friendly and helpful. Their surf programs are reasonably priced and the instructors were great.

The accommodations are not luxurious, but they are clean and peaceful. Also, there was a/c, which is a must in this area. There is a bit of a walk up to the rooms. The breakfast was included in my program, and that was also wonderful. I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank girltravelingforfun

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
St. Louis
Reviewed 23 February 2011

We spent 4 nights with 3 days of surfing with Vista Guapa, originally we had a 3 night package, but we enjoyed it so much we added another night. The staff and instructors were such wonderful people that there is no way we would not return again soon. We are first time surfers and they had us standing up in the waves on our first try. The camp grounds and bungalos we stayed in were beautiful and the meals were perfect! Can't wait to get back ASAP, for an entire week stay!

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 February 2011

I've stayed at many all-inclusive resorts. None have given me the kind of "Welcome Home!" feeling that Vista Guapa does. After the scenic hour-long drive from San Jose to Jacó, Alavaro pulled up to the cozy lodge I affectionately call base camp. The high ceilings and wide-open windows let all the beautiful Pura Vida air and sunlight in. The camp dogs lay around on the porch, reminding you that despite the surfing to come, you are encouraged to relax. There's a crystal clear pool steps away, with trees offering some shade from the Costa Rican sun. And the small yoga deck stands tall like a life guard stand over the pool.

I was surprised at how large the room was. There may be two yoga decks plus the porch outside my cabin, by I could easily practice in my room without every touching the furniture. I was happy to find a coffee maker stocked with Cafe Britt on top of a mini-fridge stocked with water. And the A/C made the room a welcoming retreat for afternoon siestas. On the porch, hammocks and easy chairs made watching the sunrise over the mountains or sunset over the ocean feel like I was living inside a painting.

Meals were so much fun. Breakfast is made to order at the camp. I'm a huge fan of the local gallo pinto (rice and beans) and blackberry pancakes, but they also offer eggs, etc. The meals come with a generous fruit plate, a delicious fruit smoothie drink, and plenty of coffee. Dinners are at local restaurants. El Rey Marino is my favorite. Their plantain chips with black bean dip are amazing.

The reason you are probably at Vista Guapa is for the surfing. As a complete newbie trying to overcome my fear of water, Alvaro had his work cut out for him. We started with a lesson on dry land. He was very patient with me, quickly building my confidence and trust. When I began to panic as I stepped into the ocean, he calmed my nerves and reminded me he wouldn't let me drown. Once out on the ocean, he gave me time to relax before picking the perfect first wave for me. With his guidance, I got up on my first wave and rode it all the way to shore! Over the rest of the week, Alvaro and his patient and professional team of surf instructors worked with me to not just overcome my fear of water, but to kick its butt!

This may not be what I like least, but it's a fair warning to others. The cabins are uphill. I think it's great exercise for the legs. But don't worry if you're too exhausted after surfing or it's too dark after dinner. They'll give you a ride up!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California, USA
Reviewed 26 January 2011

This place is the best Jaco resort (and maybe best Costa Rican resort) to learn to surf and have an authentic Costa Rican experience. It is best suited to couples, groups of friends, and families who are interested in learning how to surf and want a more rustic experience (e.g. no TVs) than might be offered at a mega-type resort. If you are looking for pure large hotel luxury, you should go to Los Suenos Marriott resort.

Our group was looking to enjoy Costa Rica's West coast and learn how to surf in the meanwhile. We wanted a typical Costa Rican style vacation, equal parts active and relaxing. In our experience, Vista Guapa fulfills this travel niche as well as any resort on Costa Rica's Pacific coast.

One differentiating aspect of Vista Guapa is the staff. Alvaro (part owner and jack of all trades) and the rest of this group take care of just about everything for you in the same way a friend would. For example, our group had different interests and wanted to participate in a number of activities. Alvaro was helpful arranging this for us. I suspect a hotel concierge would have been able to provide an adequate service, but we would definitely have lost some of the personalization that our group required.

One instance particularly highlighted the benefit of working with someone like Alvaro who is trustworthy. One of our group experienced a severe injury in the middle of the night, requiring immediate medical attention and rush service to San Jose via ambulance. Alvaro was up with us the whole night working through the ordeal and arranging transportation via ambulance to San Jose. Note this would have been an impossible task at any other hotel, as Alvaro had to call every independent ambulance operator he could think of to find one who would respond at 4 in the morning.

The surf instruction is a major selling point of this resort. Jaco is a major surf destination, so you see a number of other surf schools in the water. It is fairly obvious observing other groups instruction that Vista Guapa's staff is head and shoulders above everyone else. Surfing is pretty tough, and Vista Guapa's staff makes it possible for beginners to enjoy and experienced riders to challenge themselves.

Outside of the staff and the surf instruction, there are little things that you'll notice about the resort. The construction is done well. The beds are high quality. The food is fresh (not true of all Costa Rican cuisine). The place is kept in very good condition. All told, the place kind of reminds you of a typical "bungalow-style" resort when you arrive, but upon further inspection, it is clearly constructed and run at a level of quality and service that is vastly superior to a typical bungalow resort.

One thing to note about Jaco. None of the (good) resorts are on the beach because its not a particularly nice beach. The better resorts are off the beach in the hills surround Jaco.

I'd encourage anyone to give it a shot!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank emilller77
Washington DC
Reviewed 7 January 2011

VG is absolutely one of my favorite places in the world. I've been there 4x, both alone and with friends, and will be coming back forever. Alvaro and everyone else at VG love to see a smile on your face and do everything they can to keep it there, in the water and out. The grounds are gorgeous and spotless, the food is incredible, and the surfing is, by all accounts, some of the best in the world for both beginners and advanced. I've taken other lessons, but none come anywhere close to the care, commitment and expertise at VG. I know this sounds too good to be true, but for surfing, relaxing, and meeting terrific people, it's hard not to fall in love with VG...

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank lovedVistaGuapa
Medford, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 December 2010

Alvaro and Durby were awesome teachers. Not only was I able to get up on my first day surfing, but I was able to catch a few waves and turn in both directions after 6 days. Breakfast was great and everything was really clean. This is a great getaway for couples or groups. I would definitely come back

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Palisades Park, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 May 2010

I just recently stayed at Vista Guapa and minus the steep climb to the room, I couldn't have been more pleased. The staff was incredibly hospitable, the facilities were clean and the landscape was well kept. You were greeted with smiles always and the camp staff truly helped to make this an experience I'll never forget. (I can speak Spanish now!) On top of all of this, the experience and encouragement of the surf staff has made me a better surfer and I can only strive to get better and return. I truly could not have asked for a better place to make my inaugural visit to Costa Rica and I can't wait to book my next trip. PURA VIDA!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaco
Villa Caletas
Hotel Pumilio
#1 of 41 in Jaco
Aparthotel Vista Pacifico
Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort

Been to Vista Guapa Surf Camp? Share your experiences!