“Great place to stay!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 45 Hotels in Jaco
San Francisco, California
“Great place to stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2008

My husband and I had a great stay at this hotel! Everyone was so very nice and friendly. Bolivar at the front desk was very helpful and set up a bunch of activities for us. The sports bar upstairs was also a great place to hang out. We also loved the food in the restaurant!
We would stay here again. The owner Tim is a really nice guy too.

• Liked — Cold AC
  • Disliked — no water pressure in shower
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sky4444

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Colorado Springs
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2008

On a lengthy trip to Costa Rica we decided to see Jaco. Fortunately it was only for two days. The city is filled with drugs and prostitutes in plain sight at all hours of the day. Everytime we left the hotel we were offered drugs from someone on the street. The Posiedon itself was not as advertised. The owners claim to be "involved and concerned about their customers" as Tim the owner promised me in an email. Unfortunately, we never saw any management/ownership during our stay. The fridge in the dingy room was filled with booze and snacks at prices airport employees would scoff at. With so many other wonderful cities to see in Costa Rica avoid Jaco at all costs, and therefore leaving the Poseidon in the dust.

• Stayed July 2007
1 Thank kchamber78
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2008

Definitely THE place to stay in Jaco (if you want to stay in Jaco, that is). Hotel has friendly staff that are able to assist you with all kinds of daytrips and activities. The pool, although small for lap swimming, is a welcome amenity in the heat and humidity of the coast. This hotel has a restaurant on the premises that has, without doubt, the best food to be found in and around town. Immaculate, air conditioned rooms rival some of the best hotels in San Jose. Would definitely stay in this hotel again and would empathically recommend it to my friends and family.

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank Checkmatecheck
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2008

I stayed at Hotel Poseidon the first week of March. This was actually my second time staying there. The first trip I did a surf camp package with Third World Surf, which was a blast. This time I decided I would surf and venture out on my own. Even though I didnt do a package, Third World was great with helping me find a surf board and I had a great time surfing and hanging out with some of the guys. My room was very comfortable. I went a little overboard on the AC the first day and came back to a freezing room. haha The staff were all very nice and helpful. I went out a couple of nights with the girls in the restaurant and had a lot of fun... Im afraid I wasnt as good a dancer as they were, but they were very sweet and encouraging about my bad salsa dancing. Mark, who works the main bar in the evenings kept me entertained. He is very personable and knowledgeable about Costa Rica. The food was good as always, although I ventured out and sample some of the local food at the sodas. They arranged transportation for me both coming and going and the service was very prompt and professional. Planning a third trip this summer and will definitely be back for a portion of it at Poseidon.

• Liked — Hotel Staff
  • Disliked — Towels
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank siempresurfing
Austin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2008

The Hotel Poseiden sit's along a side street in Downtown Jaco
steps from just about everything you would need. Upon arriving it looked pleasant enough, one of those open air Lobbies. Then the problems began. The guy behind the desk insisted on helping me to my room with my bags. After a half an hour, I realized my main carryon bag was missing with $$$ and electronics and all my personnal belongings. Having heard about the famous theft rings in Jaco, terrible things went though my mind. I ran back to the lobby and sitting in the middle of the floor was my bag. Thank God. I will carry my own bags for the rest of the trip.
The room was small but clean and except for the water in the shower that wouldn't drain because it was built without a tilt towards the drain, It was fine. Good AC, refridge filled with the usual over priced junk food and a TV and DVD player.
They play rather loud music in the pool area all day even it no one is there. so if you are near to the pool don't think about taking an afternoon nap or sleeping in late.
The restaurant is great, steaks, seafood, pasta. eat in the Skybar it's air conditioned and they have an outdoor area where you can look at the Jaco skyline.
I was told by one of the male gueats that when in the evening he tried bringing a "girl" back to his room the front entrance was locked and a guard was on duty who asked him to sign a paper agreeing to pay the hotel $20 for each guest. then the guard tried to collect the 420 cash. I would think that makes the hotel owner a Pimp.
Then the day before I was to leave I asked the desk clerk to make a reservation for me from Jaco to Manuel Antonio. He said OK and that seemd to be that. I go jump in the pool. A couple minutes later he comes to the pool and asks me to sign a paper.
Not wanting to get the paper wet. I just signed it. WRONG. This goofball made a reservation from Jaco to San Jose. So when the shuttle came the next day the guy wouldn't take me to M.A.. and I lost the $30 fare AND!! I had to pay a cab $70 to take me to M.A.. The Hotel would take no responsibility for the screw up. I would not stay there again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — inept help
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank baldguy96
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2008

This hotel was recommended to us by someone we met at Jaco Beach. We went and checked it out and turned out to be a good choice. Very central. Steps from the beach. Great art store right upfront and a very good restaurant. The bathrooms were a mess with flooding.. but if you are looking for a great location, friendly staff and good food. This is it.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank ramtantaloor
st. pete,fl
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2007

This is a small hotel about a half block from the beach and right around the corner from the central street which runs thru jaco.

It is a quiet hotel and the staff and owner were very pleasant and helpful with any questions I had, arranging for a cab, etc...

I feel this is a good location and a great price for the area with many hotels charging 200+ per night.

It is close enough to the beach to relax and a short walk to any restaurant, shopping in town.

I would stay again.

It took a couple e-mails to make reservations, but everything worked out great.

Dan