“Great!”

Ranked #17 of 41 Hotels in Jaco
NJ
“Great!”
Reviewed 21 August 2008

For the price you pay, this was a great stay. Of course if you are thinking about 5 star hotel, it might not exceed your expectation. However, the room was clean, staff were nice people, food was great, and atmosphere was very nice. Most of all, the beach was right there which was a great factor for me. The way I put it, the hotel was "Nice and Cozy". I would stay there again but hopefully when there are more waves!! Also don't miss eating @ Jaco Taco on the other end of the town. You will not regret it.

• Liked — Room Cleanliness, Staff
  • Disliked — Slight ants issue but nothing major, you are not in Marriot in NY.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Phoenix
Reviewed 2 August 2008

I have been here before and shall return again . Give your staff a raise ! They all were very friendly and prompt . I also enjoyed the location and a very low key environment with reasonable rates . Keep doing what your are doing .
Kevin Paisley , Phoenix AZ

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
AZ
Reviewed 31 July 2008

The Poseidon in Jaco was sweet! Very cool. Awesome staff. My Spanish is poor and everyone was very helpful and patient with me (at the hotel and in CR in general). Seemed like everyone at the hotel spoke English too. I took a surfing lesson, and ATV tour arranged through the hotel (Fernando) and I recommend both. Went swimming at the beach everyday. (The beach is great for swimming due to the sand bottom and fun waves, but beware of the currents. You should not go out over your head unless you are on a board.) I got the AC room, and was very happy with it. Fancier than I am used to. I hit the mini bar Imperials and Gatorades as the price was right. Showers were awesome, a necessity in the humidity. I ate at the restaurant several times, and ordered food from the restaurant in the Sports Bar. The other reviews are accurate. Food is awesome (Fish tacos, Shrimp, Breakfast!). I thought that the best bar in town was El Tabacon, which is about 3 doors down. Live music and a fun, mellow crowd. There is a casino nearby with Rummy/Blackjack hybrid. Pretty fun. I also hung out at the hotel Sports Bar, which has Wii on the big screen (bowling,golf etc), and a nice outdoor deck. The bartender in the Sports Bar is Shirley, and she is my favorite Costa Rican that I met. She was very nice, and taught me a lot of Spanish. She also crushed me at Wii bowling.

I was sad to leave Costa Rica and return to Arizona, but had a great time and will go back. Next time I will know more Spanish and go fishing with Donald and surfing with Julie from the Poseidon. *** I actually stayed here twice. I booked it for one night on my way back from Montezuma before heading back to SJ because I liked it.

Feel free to email me any questions on CR at my regular email
tegan9@cox.net

(I also went to Montezuma and stayed at Los Mangos and took an ATV to Mal Pais, and Santa Teresa (Lots of fun!). Stayed at the Hampton Inn Airport in SJ (efficient).
T Egan

• Liked — Being There
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank chucktaylorAz
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 22 July 2008

This place might be a little pricey but the cleanliness and service more than make up for it. It is very close to shops and lots of restaurants. The food at the restaurant downstairs needs a little work but the waitresses and the bartender are wonderful. The posiedon has air conditioning and our room even had a little balcony over looking the pool. i found it very relaxing and would stay again on our next trip to Costa. I stayed with my husband and 2 children and really truly had no complaints.

• Liked — The size of the room
  • Disliked — The slow draining shower
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
tanoshiitabi
Reviewed 14 June 2008

We stayed at the Poseidon Hotel for three nights but we were a bit disappointed because considering the price that we paid for we expected more. The staffs were friendly and rooms were very clean but though the room has a patio, there was no view. The drain in the shower was not good and the TV remote didn't work even after I had the batteries changed. Also there is a bar on the top floor so at night it is noisy.

Tne worst was one day it rained and when we return to our room, one of the beds were moved to the center of the room because there was a leak on the ceiling. They spread towels on the floor and just left the bed in the middle of the room. The bed, pillow and some of my clothes were also wet but no one said anything to us until we went downstairs and ask for a room change. The receptionist, Boliviar was very kind and let us changed to other room. (All the staffs appear to be friendly, but we felt Boliviar is the only sincere one) But even in the other room there were water leaking from the ceiling so we had to take all our towels and spread them on the floor. The whole night we had to deal was the dripping noise.

The other two things that we were upset about was, Tim, who I believe is the owner charge us $85 for the room instead of $75 and I originally requested for the standard $65 room, which he told me was available. Thinking that I am booking the room for $65 when I made my reservation and gave him my credit card info He went on charging my card $85. He did credit it back to my card, but he didn't seem sorry about it.

Second, a young man at the reception told us the wrong side of the street to wait for the bus back to San Jose and we missed the 9am bus. We had to go back to the bus station and tried to get tickets for 11am bus but none were available and we had to wait till 1pm for the next one. It was also raining hard that day so it was not a very fun experience.

So we didnt have a very good stay. Maybe we were just not lucky. And I feel it is really not worth $85 to stay there. I went to check out one hotel around the corner on the main road called Apartotel Flamboyant. They charge $65 per night. THe hotel has a garden and a pool and the hotel is only 20feet from the beach. I think it is worth checking out.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank tanoshiitabi
New Haven, CT
Reviewed 4 June 2008

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Poseidon from May 12 to May 18, 2008, and we were extremely satisfied with our experience there. Our room was very clean and ALL those working at the reception were extremely nice and helpful. They recommended activities and booked them for us, and they explained how to get to certain places to which we wanted to drive ourselves. The pool they have in the inner courtyard is also nice and clean, even if a bit overcrowded on weekends.

As many previous reviewers have noted, the hotel restaurant is very, very good, but we have found that the food is a little overpriced at dinner-time (by Costa Rican standards, of course). For less "colones" you can eat equally delicious meals right across the street, at Hotel Colonial. The travel package we got included free continental breakfast, which is very healthy and filling (all sorts of fresh fruits, plus orange juice, bread and marmelade). If you are more into hearty breakfasts, they have an excellent choice of other types of breakfasts, and the prices are very reasonable.

The only glitch during our stay, but one that cannot be blamed on the hotel management, was that there was no hot water for about half a day. We were told that there was some kind of problem in all of Jaco, and that the entire city was left without hot water. Maybe it would help if the managers of Hotel Poseidon introduced boilers in the hotel so that they don't depend on the municipality so much....

Jaco is indeed mostly a surfers' beach but it is very alive by night and we often took long walks through the town after sunset, just looking for a nice place to eat or browsing the many souvenir shops. We used Jaco as our homebase and went on various day-trips to explore the area surrounding it. Jaco is ideally located in this respect because it is within reasonable distance from the airport in San Jose, yet not too far from the Quepos/Manuel Antonio area or even some of the more northern points of interest, like La Poas Volcano and La Paz waterfall gardens. For those who, like us, plan on renting a car, Hotel Poseidon has parking available across the street from the hotel, but it will cost you $3 per day.

• Liked — It was clean and the staff was friendly and helpful.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 April 2008

My husband and I had a great stay at this hotel! Everyone was so very nice and friendly. Bolivar at the front desk was very helpful and set up a bunch of activities for us. The sports bar upstairs was also a great place to hang out. We also loved the food in the restaurant!
We would stay here again. The owner Tim is a really nice guy too.

• Liked — Cold AC
  • Disliked — no water pressure in shower
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple