“Helpful staff, but dogs allowed”

Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante
Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in Jaco
North Vancouver, Canada
“Helpful staff, but dogs allowed”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

The room was clean and comfortable, and the staff were pleasant and helpful. My only complaint was that our next door neighbor had a dog that he would sometimes leave in the room when he went out, and it would bark almost continuously when left alone.

Room Tip: The adjacent street is somewhat busy. Try to get a room away from it.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel was the second hotel I stayed at, the first one blowing this one out of the water. My boyfriend and I checked in with a grumpy guy at the front desk that didn't want to be bothered and couldn't care less that we were there.. He didn't even smile or welcome us just handed us the keys and told us where our room was.. Ok maybe we were spoiled at our last hotel so we were optimistic. The room smelled funny and I would rather sleep on the floor then those terrible beds. When asking the hotel clerk where the best adventure and excursions were he rolled his eyes because he didn't want to be bothered. He then called one place and then handed me the phone to talk to the company, I don't speak Spanish so that didn't work out. Then they allow hookers to just hang out in the restaurant area and talk to anyone who walk by.. It's disturbing! The prostitutes would wink at my boyfriend when we walked by! This place is terrible they don't care about you as a customer or a person. I will never ever return

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Courtneyleeberries
PoseidonOwner, Owner at Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
I very sorry our Receptionist did not provide an customer service. We do appreciate the feedback. I will be talking to the Receptionist that is for sure. If you look at other reviews you will see we usually have good customer service. It would help to know which room you stayed so we can get that mattress changed.. As for the working girls, we do not allow them to hang out in our restaurant unless they are with someone. We do not love this part of Costa Rica either, but it is legal in the country. Again thanks for the feed back. Tim
Ct.
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I was fortunate to find this place thru Trip Advisor ! Our family took a trip to Costa Rica last week and were in need of a caterer...which is not as easy as one would think. Most of the caterers recommendations offered a full service five course menu that was way too costly for our budget. ($700-800 for dinner for 8) Since my husband and I were covering 90% of the trip- I thought it would be impossible to have any of the meals catered. Then I found Hotel Poseidon website and extensive menu as well as favorable customers reviews. Tim -(owner) was so easy to work with. He responded to my email on a daily basis and followed up regularly to make sure that I was happy with the selections. He did a full dinner service cooking at the house during a storm that created loss of power! Feeling very stressed and overwhelmed- he took charge of kitchen and worked the grill in the dark to provide a outstanding dinner! Thanksgiving dinner delivery was just as good- the sweet potato casserole was delicious...we tried to duplicate it once we got home but were not successful! I would highly recommend using his services- shopping at the market was not cheap for a family of eight and his pricing and extensive selection of good quality food make it a easy choice! Feel free to reach out to me with any specific questions that you may have. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Suwanee
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I found this place using trip advisor and I am glad I studied the reviews. The only down fall is it was hard to find being this was my first time in Jaco. I parked across the street and the price was fair. The room was not as updated as I thought but I am not staying in the room the whole time. I did enjoy the weather and the area. I ended up eating breakfast in the restaurant and the coffee did not disappoint. I spoke with the attendant about doing a ATV tour and he made a call and set me up for a tour a hour and half later. He also allowed me to leave my beach bag full of fruit and bottled water there and kept filling it with ice as needed.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

I got a great deal for one night here. The room was pretty unremarkable, nothing special. The gentleman at the front desk helped me to arrange a canopy tour and instructed me to be in the lobby at 12:40. I waited and waited and the front desk called for me and they were expecting me to drive to them, and because I needed to hot the road for Quepos, I missed the tour. Not a huge deal but a minor annoyance. However for those going to Jaco Beach the location can't be beat.

• Stayed July 2013
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Stayed for 3 nights at this place and was more than happy with everything. The restaurant is awesome for some pretty american type food. The room was clean, sizeable, and had air-conditioning. The staff was great and the pool was a nice touch for after the beach relaxing. Speaking of the beach, you're practically on it as well. Throw in its location to the beach and being right in the center of town and your in a perfect spot for pretty cheap. Would definitely head here again if I needed a cheaper place to stay without going full out hostel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Minot, Maine
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We booked this place through a Lonely Planet suggestion and were underwhelmed. We saw no one else at this hotel while we were there and the staff looked bored and slow to react to our needs. Granted it is June, but this is prime honeymoon season and feeling welcome is helpful. Our room was certainly not tastefully decorated. The bathrooms had nice showers but we were put in the only room without a nice curved shower, a room back in the corner without any light and the place was empty (?). Stayed one night and the breakfast was the first half of what you normally get in CR, fruit and bread. That's it. We had our items and left. The wireless didn't work in the room we were given, had to go down to the pool. Swim up bar was closed and the patio needed cleaning. All in all seemed like an off season lazy time, which normally was fine across the country, just seemed like people were taking it easy on the efforts on the place. Room was big but the walls were dingy and light switches were stained brown, maybe the place used to be smoking allowed? A coat of white paint and some decent lighting and it might not be too bad. Springs in the mattresses were prominent. Paid $80, felt like this was too much.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the pool/reception for good wireless connection.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
PoseidonOwner, Owner at Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
We are sorry that you did not feel our staff was very "welcoming" as you stated. Normally we like to put Honeymoon couples in the back area for some privacy. You stated that you did not think the decorations were "tasteful", most people do like the decor of our rooms though we admit there are elephants on the bedspreads instead of Monkeys or Macaws. I just finished looking in the room you described, which we are pretty sure is #14. The shower is just as big as the other rooms though, not curved as you stated. Since you stayed with us in June and now review us in July it is hard to know if a light bulb or 2 was out or what you mean by "not lit very well" . The switch plates were clean when I just checked them, all lights are working as well. The matresses have been flipped and one replaced. As for our Continental Breakfast, it did included Coffee and Juice as well. Again thanks for your feedback.