“Good choice”

Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in Jaco
Trois-Rivieres, Canada
“Good choice”
Reviewed 7 February 2009

We stayed 2 nights at Hotel Poseidon in January 2009. We chosed this hotel because of the good reviews and the nice web site. Their web site is so good, that when you get there, you're not sure you made a good choice. The rooms as OK, the AC is efficient and quiet, clean bathroom with a large shower with warm water, There is a tiny uncomfortable sitting area outside the room, and we had huge water tanks as a view. The pool was nice and refreshing, but is very small! Restaurant is great though and breakfasts are good, but a little pricey if you don't take the included continental breakfast... Parkong lot is on the other side of the street. On the good side, front desk people were nice and made arrangements for tours.
Overall that was a positive experience, OK for the price, but don't expect too much!

• Liked — Clean room
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
New Jersey
Reviewed 7 February 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Poseidon in January 2009. We absolutely loved it! The location couldn't have been any better. It is a block to the beach and about a half of a block from the town. It's great, being just that short distance from the town, as it allows a little more peace and quiet, if wanted. The rooms were spacious and very clean. The shower was very large with pretty tiling. We did not eat at the hotel's restaurant, except for breakfast (which was delicious), but we heard that it is exceptional and by the looks of the crowds in the restaurant each night, that is probably the case. The bar also offers very cheap beer. The outdoor shower, by the pool, will come in handy, as you try and get the extremely fine volcanic sand off of you after the beach. The hotel offers secure parking directly across the street for a minimal $3/day. There is also free internet/computer in the open-air lobby. We rented surfboards for $10/day (from Pana, right around the corner) and had a great time. We highly recommend surfing while there. The town of Jaco is bustling, with lots of bars and restaurants. It's a great place, that we will definitely be returning to. Also, definitely eat at 'Taco Bar' in town while there...delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Location, location, location!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Reviewed 8 December 2008

We booked the Poseidon as a cheap place to stay between Quepos and San Jose. It fit the bill, but didn't thrill me. The room was small and relatively clean, but a bit shabby. The staff was very nice and it was good to have WiFi. I didn't find the pool very appealing due to the proximity to the restaurant and the fact that all guests have to walk right by.

The location of the hotel is great, two blocks from the beach and smack in the middle of the best restaurants and bars. We had fantastic meals both at the hotel's restaurant (awesome tuna) and at Calinche's Wishbone, right around the corner.

I guess the reasons I was a bit disappointed were that the rooms were unremarkable and had no view (ocean or street), and that the hotel lacked character - it's American run and almost everyone we saw there was American. I don't know how much more I could ask for for the price, but I will probably spend a bit more next time and see what I can find.

Stayed November 2008
1 Thank BBHME
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 November 2008

I only spent one night in this hotel but I found it very pleasant and friendly. I came in via Interbus Shuttle from Arenal in the early evening and needed a place to crash before catching the water taxi to Montezuma. The hotel itself suffers from dreary architecture and seemed a bit cramped but the room was comfortable, if somewhat matronly. I am borderline insane about having a quiet room and worried that I might not find tranquility in partying Jaco. I was happy to see that the room was pretty well soundproofed.

The restaurant in the hotel, while not cheap, was excellent. The American chef is extremely talented at using local ingredients to produce high-quality Pacific rim fusion dishes. The seared sashimi-grade yellowtail (caught that morning) in a wasabi sauce was outstanding and the portion was huge -- about 3 or 4 times what you'd get at a NY or LA restaurant.

The staff was friendly and helpful with transport arrangements.

As for Jaco, it reminded me of sketchy beach towns in Baja California near Tijuana. I am a big city boy and never felt threatened, but I didn't feel entirely safe either. I was glad to get on the boat to paradise the next morning...

• Liked — Friendly staff, excellent restaurant
  • Disliked — Dreary building, internally facing room
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Chiquitita
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 14 November 2008

I just returned from a week in Costa Rica. I only stayed two nights at Hotel Poseidon and I wish I could have stayed longer. I loved everything about this place...the food, the rooms, the service, the location, etc. The beach can be seen from the front door and great restaurants and shops surround the hotel. We spent hours at the hotel bar each night laughing and telling stories with the locals, other tourists, and Mark (the bartender). Internet is available for hotel guests and the staff is very willing to help you with whatever you need. Arial at the front desk was extemely helpful fixing the mess that was created by Interbus (transportation company). **Note: I would NOT recommend using Interbus. Unfortunately, we already pre-booked Interbus prior to arriving in Costa Rica. They forgot us on the way to Jaco and were 3 hours late bringing us back to San Jose.

Overall, my experience at Hotel Poseidon was amazing. We were blown away by the service and amenities that we received at such a reasonable price. I can't wait to plan my next visit!!

Kaylee Gamble
Chicago, IL

• Liked — The captivating atmosphere
  • Disliked — I wish I would have stayed longer!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank kaylee513
Idaho Falls, ID
Reviewed 5 October 2008

We stayed at Poseidon 2 nights, had a great dinner by the pool both nights. The staff and desk were helpful and friendly, the room spacious and clean, the bath room also good sized and clean. Beds were comfortable Really found nothing not to like.

• Liked — Room, food
  • Disliked — Nothing not to like
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RobertD66
Texas
Reviewed 31 August 2008

We were very pleased with our choice of hotels in Jaco. It is in a great location (minus the neighbors). Right near the beach! The staff at Hotel Poseidon was very friendly and helpful! Gabriel made sure that we had arrangements to get to our scheduled day trips and all of the staff had good advice about where to go around town. :) Even though we are just two girls from the States that speak broken Spanish we felt very safe, even at night.
I recommend the package trips (my favorite trips were Manuel Antonio and the canopy tours) I also recommend the Crocodile Man tour in Tarcoles.
Thanks again to everyone at Hotel Poseidon, and thanks to Donald for the mimosas! I would love to come back over Thanksgiving!
Natalie