“Good location, ok room” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 45 Hotels in Jaco
Traverse City, MI
“Good location, ok room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2010

Hotel Poseidon was centrally located in downtown Jaco, just one block from the beach and in the heart of all the action. Supposedly the restaurant there is very good, but after paying 12 dollars for a shot of tequila at the bar, we decided not to eat there. The complimentary breakfast every morning was a nice selection of fruit and a bread basket. The staff was not overly helpful or friendly and the rooms cleanliness was questionable. There were some stains on our sheets and the bath mat was visibly dirty. Also, the shower didn't drain very well, so there was always a puddle. It was nice that there was a/c and a safe in the room.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Tampa,Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2009

Tim and staff; It took me a whole year to send my review. Frankly, my husband and I felt like family while in staying in The Poseidon. We did not felt like tourists at all. The accomodations that you provide to us, (apartment across the street), was a delightful treat. Celebrating my husband's birthday was one of the highlights and you made it possibble by allowing me to have a small gathering by the pool. Poseidon has by far the best restaurant in all Jaco. We ate there every day.( excellent breakfast too).Our Panamanian bartender/friend is one of the best in his trade.A big hug to all of you and your wife. I know we will see you again. Your P.R. from Tampa....Wilfred y Maryann

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Vail, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2009

My brother and I had a guys week in Jaco learning to surf. We stayed at the Poseidon for a week and had a great time. It is located downtown and about a half block to the beach. The rooms were clean, there was free internet, satellite TV, and a great pool for cooling down at the end of the day. The restaurant and the food was very good and very high-end. The Yellow Fin Tuna was my favorite. The staff was incredible and very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this place to anyone. You won't be disappointed.

We booked our trip with Jack from Third World Productions. We had no idea he was going to be our personal concierge. He set us up with a local surf instructor (Brandon) and drove us anywhere we wanted to go. We felt like we knew a bunch of the locals and favorite hangouts in just a couple of days. i would recommend using Third World to put together a tailored package. It was really worth it.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2009

This hotel is almost in the center of Jaco, so the convenience beats all. Although Jaco may look small on a map, and although you can walk from one end of the beach to the other in 45 minutes, it's nice to be in the center of everything.

Staff was nice. Rooms were simple and clean. Pool is small, but no big deal. Swim-up bar was never open when I was there, but the hotel wasn't all that busy.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2009

Me and my friend just took our first trip to Costa Rica. We were in Jaco from May 26th – May 30th. We stayed at the Hotel Poseidon and I don’t think we could have chosen a better hotel to stay at. The rooms were so cute and quaint and very clean. And the hotel was less than a block away from the beach. PERFECT!! All of the staff at the Poseidon was so wonderful. Everyone was accommodating and friendly. I felt like we were staying with family. Gabriel at the front desk is one of the nicest and most helpful people. He did a wonderful job recommending tours and then booking them for us. It was like having a personal assistant on vacation with us.

The food at the Hotel Poseidon is excellent. I had the Yellowtail fish and it was outstanding. Every morning for breakfast we were served fresh fruit. Sooo good!

The first day in Costa Rica we went ziplining. For anyone that has not tried it, it’s a must. On our 2nd day we took a 3 1/2 or 4 hour bus ride to Arenal Volcano. We spent a few hours at Baldi hot springs, which was a lot of fun. I was disappointed because it was raining the day we went to the volcano so we didn’t get to the lava coming from the volcano. We did see smoke coming for the mountain though. On our 3rd day we took a catamaran to Tortuga Island. This tour was fun, but definitely something I would skip the next time in Costa Rica. The beaches have rocks all over and it’s really painful to walk on. I would definitely recommend the beaches in Manuel Antonio. They have the softest most beautiful white sand beaches. My next trip to Costa Rica I will spend more time in Manuel Antonio. I think that was by far my favorite place. We didn’t get to see any monkeys while we there which I was disappointed about.

Overall, my first trip to Costa Rica was amazing. I can’t wait to go back. And when I do make it back to Costa Rica, I will definitely spend a few days at the Hotel Poseidon. I highly recommend checking it out.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
New York City, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2009

The Poseidon is a simple accomodation tucked in a side street of Jaco. The hotel has an agreement with a parking lot across the street for hotel guests to park at a discounted rate, but make sure to confirm WHICH lot, because there are 2. The rooms are small but not unreasonably so. There were a few ants so we had to make sure to wrap up all our food tightly. There is a private pool and an incredible restaurant. I'm a foodie from NYC and found the food in Costa Rica generally good. I had the fried snapper which was probably one of the best meals I had during our 7 days trekking thru the country. The portions were HUGE so I ended up slipping a few bites to a stray cat that found it's way under our table.

The main street has tons of shops selling local crafts and some very cool lamps. Prices are standard and vary a few dollars at most between stores. We were only here one night and chilled at the restaurant and pool. We enjoyed what we did but the rest just wasn't for us. The beach is rocky, cluttered, and definitely not for laying out. The waves aren't suited for real surfing. Folks tried to sell us pot 5x in one hour. We were glad we parked our car in a guarded garage.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2009

This hotel was the perfect place to stay, in location, ambiance, friendliness, food, you name it! It's located 2 min from the beach, on a quiet side street, just 1-3 blocks from all the best restaurants/bars in Jaco. The ambiance is very romantic, quaint, cozy, and the rooms are very clean with a good amount of character. The pool is super cute and there's a poolside bar as well. My boyfriend and I spent a great deal of time just lounging in the pool and the courtyard. There are books, DVDs, and board games you can borrow from the front desk. They can even hire a personal masseuse to your room. They also book tours and can charge it directly to your room if you'd like.

The staff was the best part. They were so friendly and helpful. Our whole itinerary was based off the wisdom of Gabriel, the cool surfer dude at the front desk. The owner, Tim, was around most of the days and was personally invested in us having a good time. We accidentally left our rental car in the parking lot and got it locked in but had to leave for our flight so he took care of returning the car for us. He saved us a great deal of trouble. This was above and beyond what we ever expected.

The staff is friendly and take the time to make sure you have everything you want and need. They even gave us drinks on the house.

The FOOD is amazing! Possibly the best dining experience in Jaco. The continental breakfast is fresh and delightful and the dinners there are creative and intricately flavored. Try the tempura battered onion rings and the Poseidon bowls.

Overall, it was such a great experience staying there that I didn't want to leave. If I could have had just one more meal there...

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple