“Hotel Poseidon Surf Camp”

Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante
Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in Jaco
Reviewed 17 February 2011

This is my first review on Trip Advisor. Trip Advisor Reviews have helped me out on many vacations in the past so I wanted to help the next person looking into Jaco and the Hotel Poseidon. I spent 6 nights at the Hotel Poseidon in Jaco Costa Rica. The previous positive reviews were all accurate in their descriptions. The Hotel was part of a great surf camp arranged by Third World Productions. I arrived in the early afternoon to the sleepy town of Jaco and Hotel Poseidon. The atmosphere is a great example of the town itself. Very laid back and relaxed. The rooms are clean, big showers and cool AC. The wireless is good but occasionally they need to restart the router at the front desk to reconnect with lost signals. The pool is a little small but a great to cool down from the mid day heat if you going during the CR summer. I had the free continental breakfast every morning which consisted of fresh fruit, fresh baked banana bread, coffee and oj. Nice way to start my morning before I left to the surf camp. Although Jaco can be quite the party town the Hotel Poseidon is about 100 metres from the beach and 4 buildings off the main street. For me it was very quiet and peaceful. There is a bar/restaurant next door that some reviews have complained about but I'm a heavy sleeper and did not notice any noise at all. If your looking for 5 star facilities and comforts this might not be the place for you. But for the price this is a great stay with amazing atmosphere. I had lunch twice at the bar and tried and the 2 can dine for dinner for $35 one evening. All meals were very fresh and cooked in an open kitchen not 10 from your table. Just down the street at the beach is a restuarant/bar called Bubba's that you should visit for a cool shaded lunch or to watch the sun set. I would highly recomend this Hotel for anyone looking to spend some time in Costa Rica. If your looking for a Surf Camp look up Jack at Third World Productions who books his clients at Hotel Poseidon. All in All a 9 out of 10 for a total vacation experience.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante

Reviewed 16 February 2011

Just returned and basically liked this place. It was clean and smallness of the hotel was nice. Not cheap but worth the cost. The restaurant has a good rep. but we didn't eat there. We did see a diner send their plates back on 2 different occasions though I don't why. The air conditioning worked great during the day, and let me tell you Jaco is plenty hot during the day, but at night it would either quit or it was on some sort of timer and was switched off. We got a little hot at night. The biggest problem I have with the Poseidon is paying in full before we even checked in. We had 2 rooms for 2 nights. They charged my credit card for half of the cost when I made the reservation and then charged us the balance when we checked in. I've never had to pay upfront ,ever. Anyway, like I said pluses and minuses

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2011

I live in Costa Rica, but when I am in the Jaco area this is where I call home. Hotel is great, good location, in the middle of everything. Restaurant is out of this world and one of my favorites in town. Owners are nice, beer is cold, and the sky lounge is great place to watch a game.
Cheers

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2011

The poseiden hotel is THE single worst hotel I have EVER stayed at. I could not wait to get home to write this so I am doing so right by the front desk. First of all, the pictures on the website look NOTHING like the actual hotel which is run down with a dinky with a grungy looking pool and no swim up bar as depicted. The service is absolutely atrocious. The hotel manager Bolivar forgot to set up the pickup at the airport so we had to wait over an hour to get to the poseiden. Bolivar also screwed up a few other excursions for other guests that we befriended at the hotel. Eventually the name bolivar became a verb on the trip - definition - Bolivar- To screw up- The owner of the hotel Tim was one of the most unfriendly people I have ever come across. On multiple occasions we tried to engage him in conversation but were met with a cold stare- very odd. The food at the hotel was 2 times as expensive as anywhere in Jaco and ALL of the fish was overcooked- ok, being from NY we may be a bit spoiled, but this was so bad. Overall Costa Rica is gorgeous and there are so many fun things to do. Just DO NOT make the poseiden your hotel of choice like we did!

all, the

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
PoseidonOwner, Owner at Hotel Poseidon y Restaurante, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2011

We are sorry you did not find your stay with us pleasurable. We always strive to exceed our clients expectations but we are unable to please everyone. The vast majority of our clients love our location and boutique style of hotel and we have many repeat clientele. I am sorry that you will not be one of them. Saying our food is twice as expensive is flat out not true. We are sorry if we over cooked your fish, there are many customers who come back daily and tell us how great their Fish was, whether it be Tuna, Mahi or Red Snapper, our kitchen personal receive compliments daily, we are sorry you were disappointed. It is hard for an owner to read such a negative review, especially when the review is sandwiched around other reviews giving us great praise. Finally, the way you speak of Bolivar, truly shows you do not have equal respect for all people. I stand behind our employee, even if he makes a mistake or 2. You will see him complimented in other TA reviews, Imagine how you have made him feel, and somehow that makes you Happy???

Reviewed 27 January 2011

I spent 5 days with Tim and Chrissy on a guy's weekend to celebrate us all turning 40. The room, the food, the service, the excursions, and the hospitality were second to none! World class! I hope to visit again soon!!!

Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 January 2011

Calling it a boutique hotel is stretching it a bit - my room was a bit dreary w/ dated amenities. Hotel desk staff were very helpful. Located in the centre of town, half a block from the beach.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 7 January 2011

This hotel is located right of the main street which makes it in walking distance of the good restaurants and shops and grocery stores. The food at the restuarant was great and the breakfast was very good with the option of adding on or extending your breakfast. The staff was very attentive and helpful. The one improvement is the quality of the mattress - it was simlilar to a futon rather than a mattress. The only other concern is the noise from the bar which went well past midnight.
Sarita0809