“Pura Vida”

DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Jaco
Reviewed 30 December 2009

I traveled to Costa Rica in January from San Diego CA. I arrived at Doce Lunas from the airport via a chauffeured 4-wheel drive vehicle. The driver pointed out highlights of the beautiful countryside; the coffee plants growing mountainside and lake-dwelling crocodiles. I got to the resort a few hours before my sister & brother-in-law.

After strolling the verdant grounds, taking in the gorgeous architecture and plant-life I met the owner, the manager and very friendly, attentive wait staff at the bar.

After only a couple of times at the on-site restaurant and bar, the staff knew my dining and drinking preferences. Being a vegetarian, I frequently encounter challenges with meals when traveling, the Doce Lunas chefs created lots of delicious local fruit and vegetable dishes for me. My favorite local beer and fresh guacamole awaited me each time I frequented the bar.

The spa and pool areas were superb. I enjoyed a wonderful massage and afterwards relaxed poolside with a cool beverage and a book. I began my days with a session in the yoga studio, overlooking the grounds. Then headed for breakfast and delicious coffee.

My corner room overlooking the pool was spacious and extremely comfortable. I enjoyed having windows and doors open to the tropical air. The bathroom was large and equipped with spa-grade natural products.

We participated in many outdoor activities, arranged for by the helpful staff. Doce Lunas is located very conveniently to town, the beach, and for day trips to Manuel Antonio and other ecological sites. I got in an early morning surf session and was able to meet my sister and brother-in-law for lunch before an afternoon/evening on the town.

I highly recommend Doce Lunas. I anxiously await my next visit.

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 December 2009

Upon arrival the driver sent by Doce Lunas was wating for us. He was a terrific guide as we drove through the country pointing out many sites. We even stopped on a bridge famous for overlooking a large family of alligators. He answered all our questions about his country.

When we drove into the resort compound we were overtaken by the sheer beauty. I felt like I was in an adult version of Charlie's chocolate factory. The landscaping was perfect! And the scent of fragrant flowers filled the air.

When we pulled up to the front desk we were greeted by both they manager and the owner. Mr. [--], the owner, introduced himself and said he had just left my sister at the bar. She had arrived earlier. He walked with us too meet her for a drink while our bags were brought to our room.

The staff learned I loved Soursop so they made sure when ever I entered the restaurant/bar a fresh drink was prepared from me. We ate most meals at the on-site restaurant. My sister, a Vegetarian, was impressed by the Chef's versatility. He often provided us with "off" menu items once he learned our tastes. Every meal was fresh and tasty. My husband is a big foodie and to please him is difficult. Yet each meal was terrific. My favorite was the fried plantains, which i have not been able to find anything even close in taste to since then. It was like having our own private chef!

That first night was to set the tone for our wonderful stay. The rooms, ours and my sister's, were incredibly spacious and clean. We did not see any of the bugs/spider some other posters noted. As a matter of fact we were struck by the cleanliness of the resort given it's location. The rooms also provided all the modern conveniences: We could watch cable tv and plug in our Ipods. The in-room coffee maker provided us with fresh local coffee. My sister's favorite way to start her morning! An in-room safe was also provided. But the best part of our nights were sitting outside with everyone and just enjoying the warm air and star filled sky.

The first day we met other families by the beautiful pool. Everyone was friendly and relaxed. It felt like we were all one large group of friends having drinks and sharing information on local activities. Mr. [--] provided us with a list of activities they could arrange and all the insider information required to get the most out of our stay. We took advantage of most of them including meeting Mr. [--] in Jaco for a tour and lunch one day. Walking around the town was amazing as everyone knew Mr. [--] and would shout Ola as we passed. By the end of our week there, many of the towns people recognized us as well and would call us by name.

We travel alot and this was the fasted we have ever been welcomed into a community. Most hi-end resorts have staff who will remember one's name, but a town too! It was an Amazing experience.

My sister and I enjoyed doing Yoga in the huge studio which has incredible views. We also all took advantage of the spa getting massages and treatments. What a delight!

We would highly recommend Doce Lunas to everyone. It has a professional yet family feel. We even sent our friends there on their Honeymoon and have another friend already booked to take his large family next month.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2009

All I can say is fantastic! After a week of traveling and hiking, Doce Lunas was the perfect end to our Costa Rican adventure. The owners are embracing and friendly and the staff endlessly helpful. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous and the rooms are spacious with awesome bathrooms which huge tubs if you need a relaxing soak. Can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2009

I stayed at Doce Lunas just in time for the Halloween week and it was fantastic. They always hold their traditional Halloween party and always with a band. Unlike some bar areas that throw the typical wild parties, Doce Lunas had a really fun yet relaxing party that wasn't crowded and above all it was classy. They even had a fun night for the neighborhood kids early that evening. About the hotel, let me tell you, if you stay at this place, you're in for a treat. It's like being in well-kept forest or one big wild garden. It can't get any more Costa Rica than this. The rooms were very nice and spacious and not your typical office looking rooms, not at all. The rooms were like elegant wood cabins and stone. I rate this hotel with five stars except on rooms, only because I think this place should have more rooms. I counted them as 15 the total number of rooms, which probably means that you'll have to make your reservation well in advance during prime season. I've stayed in several hotels, and Doce Lunas is definitely among the top 5, not in price but in quality.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 December 2009

Our dreamlike tropical vacation started at the airport in San Jose. Our personal Doce Lunas driver was prompt and all smiles as he greeted us with drinks and a snack as he loaded our luggage into the 4 wheel drive car. The two hour drive across lush hills to the west coast beach of Jaco ended with us passing through the Eden-like gardens of our private grounds. Even though Costa Rica is a calm and safe country it was still nice to see a private entrance and uniformed security wave us through. Soo many fragrant flowers and brightly colored birds of paradise surrounded us it was almost too much to take in at once: this is all for us?! The staff lead us to our new home just past a wonderful pool that has it's own grotto and waterfall. The room was really a small duplex house with walls and high ceilings crafted of polished teak and ironwood with tile floors, a flat screen tv and a big bathroom. Very nice!

As we left our room and went to visit the restaurant we were mesmerized by the acrobatics of two young women dangling from an enormous tree by long ribbons. They were practicing for the Cirque. But, as enchanting a spectacle as they were the smell of grilled fillets and simmering plantains eventually lured us up the hill towards the large and well appointed open air restaurant. The food all week was well prepared, fresh and tasty. Within a few days the staff knew our preferences and had many items ready for us without even asking. My wife and I are meat eaters but they easily accommodated her sisters' vegan wishes. With soo many tropical fruits and veggies locally grown she was impressed every day with the variety.

The rest of the grounds were equally enticing. The hilltop yoga studio gleamed and was large and serene. The spa was well maintained and had a staff who knew how to melt away any residual tension that may have escaped the mojitos and sunshine. And at a fair price.

When you do eventually want to leave the comforting confines the staff can suggest and book any number of cool excursions. We really liked the canopy tours, wildlife sanctuary and the amazing state parks and high altitude rodeo/carnivals in the mountains. I've never been to a country of such modest means where everyone was soo happy wherever we ventured.

Whenever we needed anything the staff- and sometimes even the property's owner, Christopher [--], was happy to oblige. He proudly walks the grounds and is always making sure you have a good time day or night. I think he used to be a high-end celebrity party planner.

We can't wait to return to Doce Lunas next year with a group of friends. We sent our parents there just last week and they loved it as well. Who wouldn't !!

It's a 5 star resort at half the price!!

Brad Mendelsohn

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2009

The hotel is a tropical rainforest haven! My young kids enjoyed exploring the property's awesome flora and fauna (iguanas, butterflies, tropical birds, and some very friendly cats) and the older kids enjoyed wifi in the rooms and surfing at the nearby beach (2 miles away, an easy cab ride) and the canapy zip line tour arranged through the hotel. Could be a great spring break destination. I understand they also hold concerts on the property.The owner is American and served up a spectacular Thanksgiving dinner. All the meals served were exceptional. We got in late the first night and the young children were hungry, so the chef cooked up a plate of the freshest most delicious fish sticks! The pool is beautiful for a lazy morning or afternoon between outings or even a midnight swim (no pool hours as long as you keep it quiet late at night.) The spa/yoga facility overlooking the rainforest canapy is stunning.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 December 2009

The room was HUGE! The pool was awesome. The on site restaurant had really good local style food along with americanized food, and it hat incredibly quick service with nice staff. I cant wait to go back for SPRING BREAK SENIOR YEAR! Seriously one of the best places I can imagine ive been and ever will be. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family