I arrived at Doce Lunas at 5:00 on April 6 after a long day of sightseeing and travelling. I arrived alone as my wife was meeting me there the next day. The young man at the front desk showed me to my room and told me that the restaurant and bar were open until 9:30. He also told me that the front desk was closing at 6, which I thought was a little odd. I was a little tired so I sat down and read for a bit. When I went to put some stuff in the room safe, it was on a shelf in a closet. It was siting at an odd angle, so I looked at It carefully and realized it wasn't even attached. Also, it had been left with the door open, but in the locked position so I couldn't have used it if I wanted to.
I decided to walk up to the restaurant/bar at 5:45 to have a beer and see what they offered. I saw one other guest on the grounds as I walked to the bar, which seemed weird. There were 2 staff there. They looked at me and didn't say anything. The place was empty. I asked if I could have a beer and they looked at each other and shrugged. They said they were closing at 6. I got a beer and then I asked if the restaurant was open and they said it was closing too. I asked if they could tell me where to eat and they named a couple of places. I took my beer back to my room to decide where to go. I tried to quickly call the front desk before they left, but the phone in the room didn't work, so I couldn't even call a cab to go for dinner. And Doce Lunas is not near anything that you would want to walk to at night. I quickly walked down to the front desk. The two people there were preparing to leave. I talked to the young man, Isaac. I asked him about the bar and restaurant closing and he told me that the management had decided to close them early and that the chef was in the pool.
I told him about the safe and phone, so he suggested I move to another room. He handed me a key and I asked him to walk up to it with me to make sure everything was ok, since everyone was leaving and there would be no one to help me if there was a problem. He obliged and as we were walking up it was getting dark and there seemed like there was only 1 or 2 units in the entire place that had any life in them. Very strange!
Isaac went back to the front desk and I went to the old room to gather my things. As I was putting my things back in my bag, I decided that I really wasn't interested in staying somewhere that was as out of the way as Doce Lunas and was as deserted as it. I went down to the front desk with my things and there were about 5 staff standing there, all ready to leave for the night. I told Isaac that I was going to leave. He was very gracious and apologetic. He recommended a couple of other places and called me a cab. The cab arrived as everyone was walking out the front gate.
It was a very surreal experience. Definitely not as advertised!!!!! As I mentioned, Isaac was very helpful and tried hard to make me comfortable. I'm not sure what's happening here, because the reviews that were written in March, 2010 were very positive. The place was EMPTY when I was there, so what happened in a month?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- DoceLunas is a spectacular Four Star hotel with five acres of tropical gardens at the base of a cool jungle covered mountain. Coatimundi, kinkajou, anteaters, toucans, and scarlet macaws can be seen here. We have a lovely mosaic lined pool with a waterfall cave, a full services spa, and daily yoga classes. Check out our excellent reviews and come join us in paradise! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L., Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Evoline ltd, Agoda and Cancelon so you can book your DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Docelunas Hotel, Restaurant And Spa
- Docelunas Hotel, Restaurant Hotel Jaco
- Doce Lunas Hotel
- Doce Lunas Resort
- DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa Costa Rica/Jaco