“Not your cookie-cutter resort...”

DoceLunas Hotel, Restaurant & Spa
Ranked #9 of 41 Hotels in Jaco
“Not your cookie-cutter resort...”
Reviewed 21 May 2010

Doce Lunas is really the most beautiful resort I saw in Jaco, and I walked around quite a lot of them. Most of the others have a typical layout with rooms stacked up close around a small courtyard of cement (or even a parking lot) and a simple garden. The natural aspects look kind of contrived and touristy.

Doce Lunas, on the other hand, strikes a much more harmonious balance with a very large grassy inner park full of beautiful vegetation, fruit and palm trees, and other varieties I can’t name. The 20 or so rooms and separate luxury suites are situated back in deference to the landscape, allowing nature to dominate the view for those who stay there.

Really, this sets Doce Lunas apart from other places in Jaco.

But what also sets it apart is the restaurant, which serves top-notch food. Even if I stayed at another hotel, it would be well worth going to the Eclipse (that’s the name of the restaurant) for dinner. I thought most of the restaurants in Jaco were pretty good, but for about the same price, which is cheap by American standards, Eclipse offers absolutely delicious food, well presented, in a spacious, open air, palm-leaf roof restaurant. The restaurant also seems to be a great place for a banquet or party. I saw a dozen or so bachelor partiers toasting away at a large table set up for them, and some nights the staff set up live music or a movie screen for evening entertainment.

The staff was very friendly and professional and would call around to check on tours, get cabs, and bring supplies to the room. They also work hard to keep up the grounds. What more can you ask?

The rooms are nice as well. We had a suite with a large bathroom and quality furnishings ( firm beds), and a cold, cold air conditioner. There’s a TV with cable, though I stayed pretty unplugged while there. There’s also a pool large enough to swim in, and a spa for yoga, massages, etc. that I just looked into. I got my massages by sitting under the waterfall at the pool.

I went down for a week with a pal in mid May, which is kind of the off season since it often rains in the afternoon. Still, the weather was beautiful and sunny most of the time, and during the showers it was especially nice to be at Doce Lunas, to sit outside on the balcony with some drinks and watch nature take it all in.

The resort is close enough to the beach to hear the ocean, and as another reviewer wrote, you can walk into town or to the ocean about a kilometer along zig-zag roads, or you can take a cab for just $3. You can also go to Hermosa Beach, where the biggest waves are, in about ten minutes by cab for just a few dollars more. The sands of the beaches at Jaco are not pristine and white; they’re brown and coarse, though they’re not dirty, I didn’t see lots of people lying out by the ocean. Most came to swim and surf rather than sunbathe on the sand, so it actually is kind of nice that Doce Lunas is set a little away from the main beachfront drag (a road called Pastor Diaz) and away from all the reveling tourists, and some more nefarious types, walking back and forth. Doce Lunas seems to be in a safe and tranquil area, with staff there to let in visitors through a tall front gate. We would even leave our door unlocked while we went down to the pool, though I’m sure that’s never recommended in Costa Rica.

We took a cab in from San Jose, took the scenic route through the mountains, which was $90, and took the bus back, which was $4 each and about an hour longer. That seemed like a good way to go, since we were in a hurry to get there and in no hurry to get back to the airport. The bus was a lot nicer than I expected.

Hmm.. can’t think of what else to say. I could talk about all the things to do in Jaco (rainforest hikes, ATV or horseback rides, deep sea fishing, visits to the volcano and Tortuga Island, and lots more), but I’m mainly reviewing the resort itself. Originally we were thinking to go to Myrtle Beach for vacation, but for about the same price plane ticket, and lots better, cheaper accommodations and activities once you get there, I’m glad we went a few hours farther away to Jaco and would definitely recommend staying at Doce Lunas.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank wtsDC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 May 2010

The first step onto the grounds took my breath away! It felt like I was tucked away in my own, well manicured, tropical forest. The buildings are nestled in-between all of the beautiful flowers and trees. Once in the room, it was clean, spacious and it had a tub-a luxury that I was not expecting in Costa Rica!! The pool was amazing; it had a waterfall and a shallow area to sunbath in. The food was fantastic; they made everything from scratch and would accommodate any request that wasn't on the menu. Our group of friends went fishing and brought back their catch. The chef was more than willing to cook up the fish, amazing!!!!
I was there with a large group of friends for a wedding. Doce Lunas catered the reception in their restaurant. They had it decorated so beautifully, with fresh cut bamboo for candle holders, fresh flowers and lanterns wrapped in different color rice paper, it was so romantic.
The most important thing about this hotel is the staff, they make you feel comfortable, like you're family. Whatever you ask for or are inquiring about, they are there to make it happen for you. They truly are knowledgeable about what's going on in Costa Rica and were always willing to set up different adventures or recommend places to visit. Or if you want a night of relaxation to watch a movie outside, at the hotel, on a large screen, they do that too. They’re amazing individuals who take pride in what they do and it shows!
I would recommend this hotel to EVERYONE!!!

Stephanie

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
Des Moines
Reviewed 12 May 2010

My new wife and I stayed at Doce Lunas for three nights in April, right on the edge of the rainy season. The grounds are beautiful, the staff was helpful, and the rooms were as comfortable as I've ever seen. This is not the cheapest hotel in the area, and neither is it a five-star resort, but for those looking for a great experience at a great value, Doce Lunas beats any hotel I've stayed anywhere.

Doce Lunas has a pretty low number of rooms (20 or so) and most of those are spread out across a large, beautiful campus that allows visitors to pretend they're alone in paradise. On our first night, we shared the hotel with a group of guys who'd stayed in the Jaco area before and a second group that were American workers from another part of Costa Rica down for a weekend getaway. On the last night, we shared the place with the group of 40 commenting earlier. My wife and I tend to be quiet and private, and both groups we shared the hotel with were definitely a little more outgoing, but short of running into a few people at the pool and the restaurant, we wouldn't have known that there was anyone else around.

There was a small incident while we were there, but Brian and the staff were quick to make sure we were happy with our stay, and more than gracious in their efforts to do so. This despite the fact that neither my wife nor I thought twice about it and tried to make that plain. It is nice to see service staff who will try to make up for even those problems that aren't really problems.

Unlike an earlier review, I didn't notice that the front desk staff was absent, and Juan Carlos was extremely helpful when we tried to book a day trip to Isla Tortuga. We were very happy with his recommendation when we arrived at Tortuga and saw the tiny little boat we had originally thought to book.

With travel days to Jaco and our day cruise, we didn't feel like dealing with traffic in Jaco every night, so we dined at the restaurant four times during our stay. The food is excellent, the atmosphere is the sort tropical decor that fits right in with the grounds, and the service was wonderful.

I'd recommend Doce Lunas to anyone who is going to visit the Jaco area. Some sources might tell you that you can make it to various destinations from Doce Lunas (Arenal comes to mind), but you're better off staying within the region, because you will want to spend some time relaxing at this gorgeous hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Ashland, WI
Reviewed 11 May 2010

Our experience at DoceLunas was incredible! We were in Costa Rica for my best friend's wedding and stayed at the resort with a group of 40 friends. Chris, Bryan, and the entire staff went out of their way each day to accommodate us and to make sure we were having a wonderful time. The resort itself is stunning, set in the tropical surrounding of the rain forest, with beautiful flowers, local fruit trees, and a great pool, restaurant and bar area. The rooms are very comfortable and the bathroom has windows that look out into the jungle! The location is perfect! Secluded enough for privacy, yet just a short walk or cab ride into town. We will definitely be returning to DoceLunas again, and just can't thank them enough for our unforgettable time in Costa Rica. If you are planning a destination wedding, this is the place to have it! The food, atmosphere, and ambiance at the reception was the best I have ever seen. Thanks again to the entire staff!

• Stayed May 2010
Balsam Lake, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 May 2010

I recently stayed at Doce Lunas for my daughters wedding and it was the most beautiful relaxing place I had ever been. I felt that it was very clean, the service was outstanding, the food was awesome, and I felt very spoiled by the staff. This was a trip of a lifetime for me and I felt very comfortable with everything with this resort. The owner Chris and the manager Brian went out of their way to make our group extremely satisfied and catered to our every whim. I would definitely stay there again if I ever get a chance to go back.

• Stayed May 2010
Reviewed 6 May 2010

My wife and I had met Brian the manager and the resort owner Chris on a preivious trip to Jaco and had a great time hanging out and stayed at the resort for a couple nights during a Halloween party. At that point in time, we were not engaged and thought that if that ever did happen that this would be an amazing place to get married. well, 2 years later that is where us and 40 of our friends decided to do it. We rented all the rooms to the resort and made it our own. They were very reasonable on the rooms seeing that we were taking a vast amount of the rooms and as in the past we knew the service would be great. we worked with brian to sloidify all the loose ends for the reception and dinner for all of our guests and he went way beyond what we had even expected or imagined. He had great local connections for a D.J. , group transportation, and other areas that we didn't think about. The chef and Brian collaborated an amazing feast of local fare and used many things from the actual grounds, Like fresh mangos to make fresh mango gelato for our desert. As our group of friends love to party, the fact that we had the place to ourselves, made late night partying and swimming a non-factor when worrying about any other guests. The staff, did an amazing job, we loved Andre! he was our bartender/pool server most everyday and night and made sure we were all taken care of. Clean rooms, great food daily in restaurant and a knowledgeable staff and owner made our 10 day experience absolutely perfect. The area that the resort is in makes you feel like your off the grid, but infact main street Jaco is a $3-4 cab ride with tip, away. They also have many connections if you are interested in day trips and sight seeing. Listen to them they know who to use and who not to use for many different tours and transportation, and saved us and our guests money on shuttles, tours, etc.!! we will be posting pictures of the event on here so that you will be able to see what they accomplished for us and our guests and we hope that they will extend the same to their future guests. Thanks to Chris, Brian, and the whole staff for making this event as perfect as we could have hoped for.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 6 May 2010

I love this place, it was like living in heaven for 10 days. I walked to town everyday which is about 1 kilometer and really enjoyed taking different routes in everyday just to see what I might find. As a single woman I felt completely safe walking to town on my own, the local people were very friendly. I love the serenity of Doce Lunas, and the people that work there are wonderful and very helpful. I just would not stay anywhere else. As a single woman I felt completely safe walking to town on my own, the local people were very friendly.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends