“Made my wedding vacation amazing!”
Review of Hotel Catalina

Hotel Catalina
Ranked #5 of 29 Jaco B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Im writing this review under my husband's name-sorry! Anyway, Im 29 and from the US and last June was my third stay at the Catalina. I went back to Jaco to get married and brought my family to The Catalina. Months before my wedding I was in contact with Naomi. She answered many questions I had and made every effort to assure our stay would be great. We arrived and were greeted warmly, as always, by the girls.I filled up their hotel with my family and friends.The rooms were clean and cozy with new towels and sheets daily,swept floors, kitchen pots pans and utinsils.The beach is feet from the gate and the view could not be better. The girls keep a close eye on the property so I always felt safe. Never a worry.
By the end of the week at the Catalina, everyone was in love with Jaco and the Catalina and had become fast friends with Naomi and Sandra (and Dino and Kitty too of course :). I cannot thank Naomi and Sandra enough for their hospitality to me, my parents, aunts, uncles,cousins and friends. You two are amazing people with big hearts and I cannot wait to come back. If you do not visit this gem in Jaco, you are missing out on a great experience and great people.

Room Tip: "my room" is the immediate one on the left when walking in the gate. It's closest to t...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
puravida643, Manager at Hotel Catalina, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

We are so happy to be part of your special occasion! Thank you for staying with us at the Catalina. It is always a pleasure to see you and your family! Thank you and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 7 January 2013

We stayed in Jaco for 2 night in Januay at Catalina and it was just the perfect hotel by the beach to relax and have a good time. Big and clean rooms with a kitchenette. Super friendly staff, Naomi and Sandra, the owners, were amazing with us.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
puravida643, Manager at Hotel Catalina, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so happy you and your family enjoyed your stay, we loved meeting you! Thank you for taking out the time to write a review! Wishing you and your family a fantastic 2013!

Reviewed 29 November 2012

I had never been to Jaco before and wasn't sure what to expect. Hotel Catalina was the perfect place to spend a week vacation relaxing. It's located on the southern end of town, in the nicest and quietest part of the beach. The mother and daughter owners are from the US and have been down there for 12 years. They are so welcoming, friendly, and a wealth of knowledge of what to do in the area. Manuel Antonio national park is an easy day trip.

The rooms are a good size, extremely clean, and the hotel area is quiet. There is a small pool, but this hotel is right on the beach, so why not go swimming in the ocean! Speaking of the ocean, there is good surf for anyone who is beginner-intermediate. You can even rent boards or take a lesson from a surf academy right outside the hotel gate.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone that wants to get away and relax. If you're looking for a party place, this is not the hotel.

I'm missing hotel Catalina and Playa Jaco already. Will have to get there again since it's only a 1.5 hour drive from San Jose.

Room Tip: They have both A/C and non A/C rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Globestompers

Thank you for taking the time out to write a wonderful review! So happy that you enjoyed your stay here and hope to see you again in the future! Have a wonderful 2013!

Reviewed 20 November 2012

I highly recommend this hotel. My friend and I stayed there during the low reason. We loved it there. What a wonderful hotel. Naomi is super friendly and helpful if you need recommendations for restaurants + things to do. We would def visit again!

Room Tip: We stayed in the fan room next to the pool. I love it. Strong wifi. everything works!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ligxia
puravida643, Manager at Hotel Catalina, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2013

So glad you enjoyed your stay at the Catalina! Thank you for your review and support! Hope to see you again in the future! Wishing you all the best in 2013!

Reviewed 24 October 2012

Absolutely loved this hotel and amazing women who run it. It was complete paradise and Naomi and Sandra were so wonderful!!! If I ever get the chance to visit Costa Rica again I will defiantly be staying at hotel Catalina. I have never felt so at home while traveling but at the Catalina the moment I got there they were so welcoming and inviting it felt like I have known them for years. It was a tearful goodbye with hopes of visiting again some day.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Thank you! It was a pleasure meeting you and your family, hope to see you all again sometime soon in the future! Happy 2013!

Reviewed 22 June 2012

We had our daughters wedding in Jaco in June 2012. We stayed at Hotel Catalina and enjoyed ever minute of our stay. Naomi & Sandra were such wonderful hostesses. We stayed in a regular room without the AC but with ceiling fan on, we slept great at night! Some of us had the AC rooms. We will go back to the Catalina in a few years and stay again. What a great and beautiful beach.

1  Thank Bobbi S
puravida643, Owner at Hotel Catalina, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2012

We were so happy to meet you and your family, and loved being part of the wonderful occasion! We hope to see you again soon! Thank you for everything. - Naomi

Reviewed 19 March 2012

This was my first trip to CR.
Hotel Catalina is located in a quaint beachside area of Jaco, where beautiful ocean waves and incredible neon sunsets lull you into relaxation mode. The proprietors are extremely friendly and accomodating; each room is comfortable, cool and clean, they answer to their own high standards. The grounds are a floral paradise, every flower and bird stopping by to sing their song. They are environmentally conscious of daily living without sacrificing creature comforts. The surfing is literally at the door front. Classes are held for newcomers nearby. Fresh fruit and drinks in the patio are lovely at days end. People are so friendly and engaging; as if we all know how lucky we are to be there! Along with a friend, we stayed at both a high end resort, and Hotel Catalina, and I must say the service and warmth of Hotel Catalina far outdid the staff at the high end hotel which felt a bit too impersonal. To each his own...I will go back to Hotel Catalina as soon as I can! What a fantastic getaway from the rat race!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nanc8pd

We loved having you here! Hope to see you again soon!