“Just Like Family”

Ranked #5 of 30 Jaco B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Just Like Family”
Reviewed 21 June 2005

This was the second year we stayed at the Hotel Catalina and we have told all our friends and family about it. Last year we were there for seven weeks and when we returned home to Canada I was homesick. This year we stayed for four weeks and our vist was just as pleasant and memorable.
We go back to this quaint little place on the ocean because we are made to feel like family there. Sandra and Naomi look after all our needs and are knowledgeable about where to go and what to see.
They keep a very clean and quiet establishment where we find plenty of rest and relaxation.
We enjoy the beautiful scenery from our room and are lulled to sleep by the ocean every night.
The most memorable thing we take from the Catalina are the magnificant Costa Rican sunsets which we watch on the front patio every evening.
We have had wonderful experiences at this small hotel and will continue to visit again and again.

• Stayed February 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
NY
Reviewed 19 June 2005

From the moment the taxi pulled up in front of the Catalina Hotel, which is surrounded by beautiful nature, from Palm Trees, to green mountains, magnificent beach...i was mesmerized. I felt at home in seconds. The hotel manager greeted me (by name!) at the entrance with a warm smile and escorted me to a beautiful room with a balcony overlooking the garden and beach. She was very friendly and throughout my stay they made sure my stay was comfortable. They even offered me a change of clothes since the airline had lost my luggage! The room was very cozy, clean and bright. The whole vibe was great. All the guests walked around as if they were all part of a family, chatting by the sunset pool, sipping their drinks and gathering each evening under the umbrellas to watch the beautiful sunset, or to have a bar-b-que in the middle of the garden with exotic flowers. Each morning i either woke up to the sound of the waves or the scarlet red Macaws flying in pairs. The location was perfect because it is located at the end of the beach, which is quiet. It feels like a private beach. Just a short walk to town, shops, great restaurants and bars. The activities are endless...from horseback riding on the beach and mountains, to canopy rides, and tours which the staff was so nice to arrange. I am a regular traveler and also work hotel industry in NYC, so I know all about service. From experience, i can say that the Catalina has excellent service..and the rooms are spacious, clean and bright. Most of the guests I met were repeat which says a lot about the place. Bravo to the ladies that run it!! :)

• Stayed February 2005
13 Thank Traveler67
Reviewed 15 June 2005

I have stayed in Jaco many times. Although you cant find a lot of information about the town, I highly recommend it. It has EVERYTHING you could possibly want. You have civilization, jungle, adventure, great food with LOTS of restuarants, clubs, big clean beaches... EVERYTHING!
I have stayed in many places in Jaco, none of which were exactly what I was looking for. UNTIL...
One day I found this adorable hotel that was beach front. Cabinas Catalina! It was so inviting that I felt drawn to it. Even before checking in, the wonderful atmosphere had me excited. It was so clean and manicured. You could tell that the owners put a lot of LOVE into this place. There were so many tropical plants perfectly placed, and a small pool in front, right on the beach. The rooms were like a dream. They all had a kitchenette, with a porch. I would get excited each day when the cleaning lady would fold my towels into different shapes, each day something new... A heart, a flower, etc. Everything had a loving touch to it. They have this adorable dog named Dino that would respectfully guard the property from a passing tucan or iguana. He also knew not to come into your room (even when called, I tried trust me). This is one of the only places on the beach that actually has parking in the back. It is only a short walk to the main part of town, but still far enough away that the noise doesnt bother you. In the mornings I would walk next door to the cafe for crepes and coffee. In the evenings, i would take a sunset swim in the ocean and stare in wonderment at the jungle behing me. This is paradise, and I was thrilled to have found Cabinas Catalina to call my home away from home.
Any questions? Please ask!
zoienyc@aol.com