“One of the best options in Costa Rica” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aparthotel Vista Pacifico

Aparthotel Vista Pacifico
Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Jaco
San Jose
“One of the best options in Costa Rica”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2008

We spent 4 nights at Vista Pacifico and our time there was just amazing since the very first minute. The owners know very well how to take good care of all their guests, Jan and Greg are extremely helpful and friendly, took care of us and our children. Being Costa Rican locals we have been at many different hotel categories and this place offers a high variety of options in Room sizes and distribution something that I have not even seen at big hotels with lots rooms.
EVERYTHING is kept in like new condition, kitchen stuff, beds, sheets, towels, I mean everything.
The barbecue is something that I haven't found at other places.
The view is great, you can see the ocean and the mountains all around.
We are definitely going back!!!!!!!!

• Liked — The room
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank msanab

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Munich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2008

We loved this place! We were only searching for a place to stay for one night, but ended up staying three nights...
The owners are wonderful and have vast knowledge about the region and the available activities.
Rooms are very very clean and provide nice amenities such as small kitchenettes. The property itself with its pool and garden is gorgeous!
Jaco is a very touristy and americanized place, but Vista Pacifico is just in the right spot: Close to everything you need, but far away from the crazyness of a tourist town!
We met great people at Vista Pacifico and even had a BBQ with all the hotels' guests and the owners one night, because we caught so much yummy Mahi Mahi on the sport fishing tour recommended by Jan and Greg!
Thanks for a pleasant stay and great memories!!!
~Steph & Mike (Germany)

Stayed June 2008
2 Thank expropriis
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2008

My friend and I stayed at Vista Pacifico from May 24th, 2008 to June 3, 2008. We stayed in Room 5, which had two double beds, a small kitchenette (which was perfect for preparing small meals).

I really can't say enough wonderful things about Vista Pacifico. The location is perfect with a stunning view. It's a short, inexpensive taxi ride into the core area and taxi's come very quickly when called. Our room was always spotless, the housekeeping staff really does a great job. The room also has a tv with plenty of channels (lots of english channels too). Our room did not have air conditioning (which we knew in advance because it's stated on their website) but we found that the ceiling fan was more than enough to keep us comfortable.

But the best part of our stay was meeting Jan and Greg! They are fantastic hosts. They are warm, friendly and always willing to assist. They also recommend great places to eat (Pacific Bistro - fabulous!). Breakfast was our favourite part of the day. During the green season, a light breakfast of coffee, pastries, juice and fruit (bananas) is served. This is clearly stated on their website and we were very happy with it. But it was sitting around chatting and meeting a friend a Jan and Greg's that we enjoyed the most! They are very knowledgeable about the area and assisted us with arranging for surf lessons (which I highly recommend!) and assisted other guests with arranging other tours. They really will go out of their way to help their guests, which we thought was wonderful.

With respect to security, we found the hotel to be very safe and never had any safety concerns. Mika, the dog, is not only very friendly and so sweet, but she barks at strangers! I stayed alone for the last few days of the trip and never had any concerns either at the hotel or while in town.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Jaco. It really is a fantastic hotel that is clean, safe and feels like home. I hope to be able to return to Costa Rica soon and will definetely stay here again. Thanks for a great stay!

Daniele -- Toronto, ON

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dani55
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2008

My husband and I are in our early 30's and we've traveled extensively. We attended a wedding in Costa Rica in March of 2008 and decided to stay at Jan & Greg's hotel after discovering it on the Internet. We wanted to have a more unique experience of Costa Rica, versus the mainstream Americanized Marriott type hotel experience.

The hotel is on the top of a large hill with sweeping views from every room. It is very safe as Jan & Greg are almost always there and they have a very friendly and adorable dog running around barking at strangers. All of the guests loved the dog and we all played with him and laughed at his antics. There is free parking in front of the gate of the hotel for your rental car.

Our room, #1 was an end unit and had two floors. We had a kitchen, living room, full bathroom and balcony downstairs and a bedroom with king sized bed, full bathroom and another balcony upstairs. It was so lovely that it was hard to drag ourselves away from the hotel. The maids are very hard working at keeping the rooms spotless. There is an inground pool surrounded by lounge chairs with big padding to make a very comfortable and quiet experience for poolside lounging. In fact we didn't bother with a trip to the Volcano as it was so far and lounging by the pool was so tranquil. After our days of surfing, hiking, zip lining, sight seeing and nights out, we couldn't wait to get back to the peace and tranquility of the hotel. By far the best deal for your money. We left the food from our kitchen and some money for the maids at the end of our stay - they much deserved it.

Every morning guests gather at the patio for breakfast. Jan & Greg serve the tastiest yogurt parfait, fresh fruits, cereals and store-bought baked goods. One thing, they need a different brand of coffee! I hate to even mention it as the breakfast is such a treat but the coffee needs an upgrade. lol Sorry Jan! The other guests that were with us felt the same way so I know it's not me. Quite difficult to fit in any meals out after all that but of course for a mere $5-10 dollars American you can get superb dishes in downtown Jaco, just ask Jan for ideas. She is full of them and it really helps! Jan can help you plan your excursions and she has great ideas for where to go. Very helpful! Like having a second mom around to help :)

The pool is lovely, very clean. There is a garden next to the pool where a kincachu lives. He stops by every once in a while which is neat. There is a grill which we used one night. Tables and chairs as well. The family down the way from our room had a 2 year old and he ran around and enjoyed his stay as much as his parents as the hotel grounds are surrounded by gates and it is very safe.

Late night we came home and had a glass of wine on the patio or balcony or took a late dip in the pool quietly so not to wake anyone up. It is a very quiet place which is great for wanting to get out of the dirty crazy Jaco each day. The views are unbeatable, the best in Jaco. The price is fabulous- can't beat it anywhere. So you can be adventurous, party do whatever you want but come home to this hotel as if it were your private escape- it's perfect. So relaxing and beauitful.

Overall I would say this is probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in for the money. I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Marriotts (we have a time share), motels and hotels but the experience of having an apartment with a view and Jan & Greg makes the Costa Rica visit much more personal.

One word of advice, don't go during Holy Week, the week before Easter. The beaches are ridiculously crowded with locals. You won't find parking in Jaco and it just is annoying everywhere you go. Oh, during the week we were at the hotel someone found a scorpion in their room. It's Costa Rica right? There are Toucans and Monkies everywhere, it's a rain forest. :)

I am leaving some pictures of the hotel on here that we took also. It's conviently located to everything, the roads are so clearly marked we didn't even maps anywhere. Renting a car is very worth it. Very safe as long as you stay out of San Jose.

You can't go wrong with this apartment hotel! It's lovely, we hope will be lucky enough to come back :)

• Liked — beauty, Safeness and cleaniness
  • Disliked — The coffee!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sswvacay
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2008

I just returned from a solo trip to Costa Rica and Vista Pacifico was the best choice I could have made. Jan and Greg have created a true labor of love. They are as friendly as I had previously read on Trip Advisor. They assisted me with every decision of where to go and what to do and who to contact (free of charge). They are amazing! The room was very clean, cheery yellow, with a tropical breeze through the screened windows.....loved it! The pool was great, the view spectacular, and the coffee and banana bread amazing. Yoga close by, hikes, canopy tours, unbelievable surfing, everything you could dream of doing in Costa Rica. Thank you for making my birthday the best ever! I can't wait to return......

• Liked — The owners, views, location, everthing
  • Disliked — That I am not still there
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank cheriness
Evergreen Park, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2008

My husband and I stayed at Vista Pacifico from 5/2/08 - 5/12/08. We stayed in #2 and it was always spotless...the housekeeping staff was exceptional. At first I was a little surprised at the septic tank/no flushing toilet paper (or anything) down the toilets, but I got used to it. Also I had to get used to the low water pressure in the shower....maybe that's an American thing? The owners, Jan and Greg, were as accomodating and friendly as all the other reviewers state. They did leave to go on vacation around 5/5/08 and were gone the rest of our visit. They had Mary Jane (and later, Jamie) "holding down the fort" in their absence. Robert & I both really enjoyed Mary Jane and thought she did a fine job while we were there....despite what the previous reviewer said! Before they left, Jan drove us into town our 2nd day and physically went with us to help us figure out Costa Rican ATMs....she is a SAINT! She also arranged a tour for us to Manuel Antonio National Park through King Tours, which was very, very good (but be prepared to walk A LOT). Mika the Weimaraner was a very good girl and a great watch-dog.

The only "negative" for me was that the hotel did not have internet access or wi-fi, not even in the Rancho area by the pool, which would have made the entire stay COMPLETELY PERFECT. I realize that when one is 'on vacation' they aren't supposed to worry about email, but the internet is my lifeline, so every time I needed an "internet fix", we had to take a taxi down to town to one of the places that had free wi-fi (like Clarita's on the Beach or Casa del Mar restaurant). Once I even paid to check my email (less than $1 US) at Mexican Joe's Internet Cafe, but it was worth every cent.

My husband booked the room and he chose #2, thinking that we wouldn't need air conditioning since the room is on the 2nd floor, has cross-ventilation, a ceiling fan and a standing floor fan. However, a few nights it was quite warm, without much breeze at all, so next time I'd pick a room with a/c.

All in all, I enjoyed staying at Hotel Vista Pacifico--it was quiet, clean and the staff is very friendly!

• Liked — The price, the views and the management/staff
  • Disliked — no internet access/wi-fi, the trek up & down the mountain to get to hotel, shower water pressure
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dbrook1
Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2008

The rooms were large and clean. The view was great and location was a short distance away from busy Jaco.

The owners who we had heard such great things about were away on vacation.

The individual selected to operate the hotel while they were away was unable to provide us with outstanding service and satisfaction. Not accurate and enough information was provided of the area as the person taking care of the place did not have this knowledge.

The pool was small and the dog frequently swims in it which may be considered unsanitary to some guests.

The breakfast provided...could not be called breakfast...all that was provided was some juice..coffee bananas..and very small pasteries...(not what we had expected after previous reviews).

The room did not have an air conditioner and I do not believe air conditioners are present in many...if any of the units...it was very hot in the rooms.

The hotel is on a septic system...and we were asked to not place any toilet paper in the toilets!!! which was an unexpected feature of the hotel.

Security at the hotel seemed good however safety deposit boxes were not available in the room which would have been a great benifit that would have made us feel more secure.

I must say that the person that the owners decided to leave the hotel with may not be of much help...only help to destroy this hotels previous positive feedback and reputation.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the sevice provided
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank travelgurl87
janandgreg, Owners at Aparthotel Vista Pacifico, responded to this review, 23 May 2008
The guest who wrote this review was inaccurate on several points:

Regarding Air Conditioning: 4 out of our 9 rooms are air-conditioned. This guest chose a room that does not have air-conditioning. Our website is very clear about which rooms do and do not have A.C. As well, we have found that many people prefer not to have air-conditioning as some feel it is unhealthy.

Regarding the "breakfast": we do not serve breakfast during the low season. This is spelled our clearly on our website and all literature around the hotel. During the low season our prices are considerably lower and since the rooms have refrigerators and coffee makers we only offer "complimentary" coffee, juice and pastries.

Regarding Security: While we do not have individual lock boxes in the rooms we have a safe in the office that is available for guests to store their valuables. Information about the safe is left in each room so that guests know that this service is available. It is also posted on our web site. We also have a guard at night.

Regarding the Septic System: It is typical in Costa Rica not to flush toilet paper... Many areas are still on septic systems and they cannot handle large amounts of paper being flushed. In the 4 years since we built the hotel we have had to install a new septic system because of the strange and wonderful things that tourists have flushed down our toilets in spite of our signage. Most hotels in Costa Rican have similar policies about flushing toilet paper.

Regarding the Pool: As the pictures of the hotel show the pool is not small for the size of the property. Our dog does at times swims in the pool but is trained not to enter the pool if people are in it. The local Minsterio de Salud, or local Department of Health, inspects our pool regularly, and it exceeds the criteria's set for cleanliness.

Jan & Greg