“Great Escape!”

Ranked #2 of 4 Mal Pais B&B and Inns
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Great Escape!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

My family and I stayed here for a week and had a wonderful vacation. If your looking to get away from it all Star Mountain is the place to go. Tucked just outside of town Star Mountain is full of wildlife and peace and quiet and I highly recommend it if your looking for a true wildlife adventure.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Panama City Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Star Mountain Jungle Lodge for one night after staying one week in Santa Teresa (a town just north of Mal Pais). We wanted to spend one more night in the Nicoya Peninsula before flying out of Tambor and I chose Star Mountain because of the other positive tripadvisor reviews.

Let me preface this review with the following: I had been in touch with the owner throughout the reservation process and he warned me that he would not be there but his staff would take care of us. I really didn't think anything of it; however, it was a little intimidating when we arrived and realized we were the only guests there! The staff consisted of two locals who spoke only Spanish (I keep telling myself I want to learn this language!). At first we were a bit nervous, but it wound up being just fine. They were very nice and prepared us a lovely b-fast the next morning.

The best part about Star Mountain is its location. You are up a hill in Mal Pais on the edge of the Cabo Blanco nature preserve. There is a private "Jungle Trail" that starts from the lodge and loops around (about a 1.5 mile hike). We took this soon after we settled in our room and we were the only ones on the trail! We could hear howler monkeys in the distance and reached a point with amazing coastal views. June is the rainy season so yes, the path was a little overgrown and there were down trees we had to climb around, but the trail was exciting and unique.

After returning from our hike we went in the pool at Star Mountain...very relaxing with the stone waterfall! Did I mention we were the only ones there!? It was truly remote.

We ventured downtown that evening while the sun was still up...walked about 1.5 miles to Mary's restaurant (we also visited the beach and the soccer field nearby). If you stay at Star Mountain, definitely go to Mary's. It's a forward-thinking farm-to-table restaurant in--what seemed to be--the middle of nowhere. We had ceviche and a brick-oven pizza and both were delicious! Our waitress spoke English (we were so grateful), the restaurant took Visa (again, we were grateful), and the staff helped us call a cab to take us back up the mountain so we didn't have to hike in the dark!

Regarding the room...the only reason I didn't give this place 5 stars is because the bed was very uncomfortable (I didn't sleep well). I think I would have slept better on an air mattress! I can't speak for the other rooms b/c we didn't see them, but essentially this is an easy fix and the other pros totally made up for this fact. Our room was spacious and clean and it was nice to have a hot shower with good water pressure. There was a mini-fridge too, which was great b/c we had leftovers from dinner and some refrigerated supplies we had bought prior to arrival.

The b-fast in the morning was simple, yet satisfying. There was coffee with milk, granola, fresh-cut fruit and yogurt. The friendly staff had it ready for us promptly at 7:30am. We spent the morning relaxing and reading by the pool and also in our hammock right outside our room. The grounds and landscaping there are beautiful...truly a work of art. It was so quiet and peaceful...I loved just reading in the hammock and listening to nature.

If Star Mountain could upgrade their mattresses, this would be a home-run property in my opinion! I've posted some pictures from our visit, too. Thank you to Andrew and Lisa for allowing us to stay there even though they were away!

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ingoodtaste0106
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

Star Mountain is clean, lush and inviting. The amenities include a delicious, nutritious breakfast, a large waterfall pool, a serene yoga platform, guided horse tours and a walking trail covering acres to explore plant and wildlife. The owners were very helpful and friendly. We especially enjoyed visiting with the other guests, sharing our Costa Rican experience.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
SouthLyon, Mich.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012

From day one not a moment was wasted with the help of the great staff at Star Mountain Lodge. Waking up to the call of howler monkeys surrounded by tropical beauty. The staff made sure we knew what to see and do, the best resturaunts to go to. The on site horse stable offered us a guided tour that took us out on a spectacular ride into the surrounding hills then down to the oceans edge. The views are incredible. The lodge has it all, clean well kept rooms, a peaceful community outdoor lounge and eating area, hiking paths right out your door. The pool was very nice and welcome after a day out exploring, or take a swim in the close by ocean.One of the best trips we've had.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank edwjg56
Bratislava, Slovakia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012

The best place for uncomercial relax, in the middle of the jungle life. If you have been before in seychelles or mauritius reunion prepare yourself for real paradise. This is one from the best peacfull and secure places in the world. Forget the cheap luxury and open your mind for beautifull world. We been here for 3 times and come back again for real quit and goodness.

• Stayed January 2012
Ambler, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

Whether you are looking for relaxation or adventure, Star Mountain Jungle Lodge will not disappoint you. From the incredible natural beauty of the 220 acres the lodge rests upon with breath taking 360 degree views of the Costa Rican jungle/Pacific ocean. Pictures do no justice here! The adventure is endless. We zip lined through the jungle which was priceless and we also rented quads that we had for the entire trip. Which I highly recommend. Andrew the owner was nice enough to help set up our entire time in Mal Pais to make sure we had a chance to do everything we wanted to do. The restaurants in the area were to my surprise "delicious" The beaches are incredible along with the locals. Everyone was more than helpful with anything you might need. I would highly recommend Star Mountain Jungle Lodge to anyone who knows how to enjoy the good life. I look forward to returning there sometime in the near future.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alberto P
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

I must say I was about to cancel my trip to costa rica first I had a bad experience in jaco dirty beaches unpleasant But I must say upon my arrival at star mountain lodge I knew I made the right choice. Andrew. Owner / manager greeted us showed us the grounds and outlined the best beaches . Restaurants and hang out areas . He was nice enough to call ahead if time canopy ul tours and horse riding . We rented quads which is a lot of fun to have in Mai's pais. From start to finish I had a great time either zipping through trees. Trying the surf or just enjoying the 240 acreas On sight in the rain forest. Yes that's right 240 acres of resort. I highly recommend this trip for those who appreciate the Beuty of nature . Not scared to get muddy and relax all in one. I look forward to my next visit soon.

• Stayed September 2012