“Incredible!”

Ranked #2 of 4 Mal Pais B&B and Inns
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Incredible!”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

My family and I spent three nights at the lodge and it proved to be a most incredible experience. The wonder starts as you try to reach the lodge that is located in the middle of the jungle. The abundance of nature very well balances with the services offered and every single minute spent there becomes magic. Do not miss the walk along the trail!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank SILVIABRE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I took my family to this lovely oasis in the jungle Jan 2014. The rooms were clean and spacious. We were able to sleep peacefully and awaken to nature sounds of the jungle. Breakfast was served at 7:30am daily. The food was amazing. Katzia, the chef, went above and beyond. We happened to be staying during the time when the owners were on site. The owners took time to speak with us and really help us map out our 1st visit to the area. Their beach and restaurant recommendations were top of the line without breaking the bank. They have horses on property and we enjoyed riding through their 220 acre compound to the top of Star Mountain. I rode on the same horse as my 5 year old. This was the best part of her trip. Yes, I had my 19 month old and 5 year old with me. They enjoyed being in nature and discovering monkeys, frogs, horses, ants, etc….The things we don't see much of in Manhattan. I highly recommend the jungle oasis located in one of the few Blue Zones in the world…

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LetsTravel77
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 4 January 2014

My wife and I visited recently and we had an amazing time. We know the area and there are many nice places close by at the beach but we wanted to experience nature at its best. The day we arrived we took a hike around the property and it took us over two hours to explore Star Mountain´s private reserve. We spotted all kinds of wild life and got some great pictures. Every day we were looking up the different plants, animals, birds and insects on the computer to find information about our discoveries .

The hike through Star Mountain has some serious elevation gains and makes for great exercise. The views are spectacular from various plateaus up to about 800 feet above sea level. We also could see the National Park; Cabo Blanco. Bring a camera on the hike!

The following day we took horses though the reserve and then down to the beach. Waking up here was bliss. It is dark about 6pm so were we always in bed by 9pm. Daylight comes about 530am along with the sounds of the birds, monkeys, squirrels and lizards. I suggest getting to bed rather early so you can wake with nature.

We practiced yoga and exercised in the jungle yoga studio and relaxed by the pool much of the day. We also walked to a nearby by butterfly sanctuary that was delightful. The staff was sweet and very helpful without being intrusive. We had a great time as a couple with only two other rooms filled at the six room lodge. Town is just a ten minute ride and we found gourmet food at Habanero´s on the beach in Santa Teresa.

I would give this place my highest recommendation if you are looking for a quiet Eco lodge off the beaten path. It is a great place to connect with nature and your loved ones. We will be back!

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely. The two end rooms have extra windows. The whole lodge is enveloped in nat...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I went to Star Mountain to see if the place would work for my yoga and health retreats. It not only works, its truly astounding! Nestled in the jungle it's a real peaceful heaven. It's perfect for small groups that want to relax , rejuvenate and get away from it all and its also really amazing how close it is from the fun beaches of Montezuma, with great restaurants and bars. It's the best of both worlds. I highly recommend it if you want to have your own place for your whole family or if you want to organize a yoga and wellness retreat. Oh, and don't miss the horse riding tour!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I traveled to Costa Rica with my little 5 year old and made my way all the way to Mal Pais and all the way up a dense jungle covered mountain, along a bumpy dirt road to arrive at Star Mountain. I just had a feeling about it. We were warmly welcomed and invited into a magical garden with beautiful paths, butterflies, exotic birds, flowers and even a pool! Our room was simple, neat and clean and we felt very safe and secure. My little one ran around the property, collecting flowers and bugs and swimming to his little heart's content. I loved the quiet of the place. I ended up postponing our trip to another town just so we could enjoy Star Mountain for a few extra days. I really,really enjoyed our time there and feel very lucky to have discovered this hidden gem. I really hope to visit again someday.

• Stayed July 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My family and I stayed here for a week and had a wonderful vacation. If your looking to get away from it all Star Mountain is the place to go. Tucked just outside of town Star Mountain is full of wildlife and peace and quiet and I highly recommend it if your looking for a true wildlife adventure.

• Stayed January 2013
Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed 5 July 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Star Mountain Jungle Lodge for one night after staying one week in Santa Teresa (a town just north of Mal Pais). We wanted to spend one more night in the Nicoya Peninsula before flying out of Tambor and I chose Star Mountain because of the other positive tripadvisor reviews.

Let me preface this review with the following: I had been in touch with the owner throughout the reservation process and he warned me that he would not be there but his staff would take care of us. I really didn't think anything of it; however, it was a little intimidating when we arrived and realized we were the only guests there! The staff consisted of two locals who spoke only Spanish (I keep telling myself I want to learn this language!). At first we were a bit nervous, but it wound up being just fine. They were very nice and prepared us a lovely b-fast the next morning.

The best part about Star Mountain is its location. You are up a hill in Mal Pais on the edge of the Cabo Blanco nature preserve. There is a private "Jungle Trail" that starts from the lodge and loops around (about a 1.5 mile hike). We took this soon after we settled in our room and we were the only ones on the trail! We could hear howler monkeys in the distance and reached a point with amazing coastal views. June is the rainy season so yes, the path was a little overgrown and there were down trees we had to climb around, but the trail was exciting and unique.

After returning from our hike we went in the pool at Star Mountain...very relaxing with the stone waterfall! Did I mention we were the only ones there!? It was truly remote.

We ventured downtown that evening while the sun was still up...walked about 1.5 miles to Mary's restaurant (we also visited the beach and the soccer field nearby). If you stay at Star Mountain, definitely go to Mary's. It's a forward-thinking farm-to-table restaurant in--what seemed to be--the middle of nowhere. We had ceviche and a brick-oven pizza and both were delicious! Our waitress spoke English (we were so grateful), the restaurant took Visa (again, we were grateful), and the staff helped us call a cab to take us back up the mountain so we didn't have to hike in the dark!

Regarding the room...the only reason I didn't give this place 5 stars is because the bed was very uncomfortable (I didn't sleep well). I think I would have slept better on an air mattress! I can't speak for the other rooms b/c we didn't see them, but essentially this is an easy fix and the other pros totally made up for this fact. Our room was spacious and clean and it was nice to have a hot shower with good water pressure. There was a mini-fridge too, which was great b/c we had leftovers from dinner and some refrigerated supplies we had bought prior to arrival.

The b-fast in the morning was simple, yet satisfying. There was coffee with milk, granola, fresh-cut fruit and yogurt. The friendly staff had it ready for us promptly at 7:30am. We spent the morning relaxing and reading by the pool and also in our hammock right outside our room. The grounds and landscaping there are beautiful...truly a work of art. It was so quiet and peaceful...I loved just reading in the hammock and listening to nature.

If Star Mountain could upgrade their mattresses, this would be a home-run property in my opinion! I've posted some pictures from our visit, too. Thank you to Andrew and Lisa for allowing us to stay there even though they were away!

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple